Fight depression or fight off depression?

izzythepush

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 06:18 am
@centrox,
Camlok/JTT is a contrarian. The main reason he's here is to disagree with what the last poster has said about grammar, that and to spread horseshit about 9/11.

All he does is muddy the waters and spread confusion.
centrox

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 06:35 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Camlok/JTT is a contrarian.

Ah. That explains it. I crossed swords with JTT in an earlier incarnation.
paok1970

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 08:02 am
@centrox,
IS "JTT" an acronym? Please explain. Thank you.
layman

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 08:18 am
@paok1970,
Yeah, kinda. It's the old screen name for the "truther" who now calls himself Camlok It stands for Jethro The Troll, or maybe Jethro Troll Truther.

Something like that. Whatever it stands for, it aint nuthin nice.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 11:59 am
@centrox,
Quote:
Surely it does, unless you expect you might die? And.. oh look! "Fend off"...

Are you trying to make a language point, Centrox, as regards Layman's contention that,

Layman: You can do either. Fighting them "off" implies that you have won the battle. Merely "fighting" them suggests that the winner has yet to be determined.

Do you consider that the use of the present continuous, as he used in the underlined, above, means the battle against a cold/cancer/... has been won?
layman

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 12:27 pm
@camlok,
You're the one trying to make a "language point" that:

1. Is extremely trivial and

2. Doesn't exist in the first place.

The mere fact that a word ends in "ing" does not mean your usage of it HAS to be present continuous.

"We built a house, pounding hundreds of nails in the process."

You misuse or misconstrue language, and then demand that others somehow justify your error.

Nice try, fool.

camlok

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 01:15 pm
@layman,
Your own quote tells us that you were referring to the present continuous.

Layman: You can do either. Fighting them "off" implies that you have won the battle. Merely "fighting" them suggests that the winner has yet to be determined.

You only made a distinction between the single verb, 'fighting' and the phrasal verb, 'fighting off', which advanced a notion that is totally false.

"Fighting them "off" implies that you have won the battle", does not hold the meaning that any battle has been won. It is no different than the meaning when you only use 'fighting'.

He is fighting off a cold. = He is fighting a cold.

Quote:
The mere fact that a word ends in "ing" does not mean your usage of it HAS to be present continuous.

It was NOT my usage, it was YOUR usage. You made the fictitious point.

What grammar point do you suggest your example sentence is illustrating?

layman

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 02:39 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:
Your own quote tells us that you were referring to the present continuous...What grammar point do you suggest your example sentence is illustrating?

Hahahahahaha.

1. A few minutes ago I was pounding a nail
2. Right now I am pounding a nail
3. Tomorrow at this time I will be pounding a nail.

The word "pounding" is properly used in each case and it says NOTHING about the tense.

I still doubt that your small mind can see the point without more, so try this: "At the time he was in the process of "fighting off a cold."

Now substitute "pounding a nail" for "fighting off a cold."

centrox

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 02:42 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
The word "pounding" is properly used in each case and it says NOTHING about the tense.

Are you thinking that someone should be pounding sand?

layman

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 02:50 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

layman wrote:

NOBODY can read my mind! Nobody! But, to answer your question, yeah, true dat.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 02:50 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Hahahahahaha.

1. A few minutes ago I was pounding a nail
2. Right now I am pounding a nail
3. Tomorrow at this time I will be pounding a nail.

In each of the verb phrases, underlined to help you parse, it most assuredly does say something about the tense. In conventional/old fashioned grammar that you obviously failed to learn as a youth, 1. is past continuous tense; 2. is present continuous tense; 3. is future continuous tense.

I asked you, which you dutifully ignored,

What grammar point do you suggest your example sentence is illustrating?

Is it saying,

"We built a house, wherein we ARE pounding hundreds of nails in the process."

or does it say,

"We built a house, wherein we WERE pounding hundreds of nails in the process"?
layman

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 03:04 pm
@layman,
I can see your response now:

But, but, but, ya aint never through poundin a nail until it's all the way down!!!!!

So, that means...sumthin.... aincho what, but sumthin, sho nuff.
layman

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 03:11 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:

In conventional/old fashioned grammar that you obviously failed to learn as a youth, 1. is past continuous tense; 2. is present continuous tense; 3. is future continuous tense.

Heh, more buffoonery, eh? Tell me, what does the word "pounding" tell you about 1, 2, or 3? Not a damn thing, of course, because it's not the word dictating the tense in any of the three.

Oh, wait, I clean forgot. There's ONLY ONE tense, really, i.e., present continuous.
camlok

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 03:12 pm
@layman,
Okay, so ... ?
layman

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 03:15 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:

Okay, so ... ?

Think about it, chump. If that don't git yo ass nowhere, don't come back to me. I can't learn a pig to sing, sorry.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 03:17 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Heh, more buffoonery, eh?

Yes, one wonders why you, a self admitted grammar dunce even bothers to go on.

Quote:
Tell me, what does the word "pounding" tell you about 1, 2, or 3? Not a damn thing, of course, because it's not the word dictating the tense in any of the three.

Oh, wait, I clean forgot. There's ONLY ONE tense, really, i.e., present continous.

You just mumble on and on and on, layman, when you have not the foggiest notion of which you speak.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 03:21 pm
@centrox,
Quote:

Great grammatical analysis, Centrox. You make yourself out to be some kind of expert on the English language but at the first question you are gone!
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 03:49 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Tell me, what does the word "pounding" tell you about 1, 2, or 3? Not a damn thing, of course, because it's not the word dictating the tense in any of the three.

layman • Post: # 6,579,905 • https://able2know.org/topic/440068-1#post-6580891

Paok: Should I say, "I got him to clean his bedroom" or "I got him cleaning his bedroom"?

layman -
Not quite the same. The first one suggests that the task has already been accomplished. The second one suggests that it is a task still in progress.

Do you actually even understand what it is that issues from your mouth, layman? You can contradict yourself so quickly. The bolded and enlarged 'got' is not an example of present tense, is it? Yet you maintain that this is a present condition, one that is going on now, "is ... still in progress".
layman

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 04:05 pm
@camlok,
Read much, Cambo? I said it "suggests" (not dictates) that. Unlike you, eh?

I see you've (wisely) abandoned your "fighting off" claims and have searched for something else to bitch about, eh? Aint you got nuthin more better to do, like poundin sand, maybe?
camlok

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 05:01 pm
@layman,
Quote:
I said it "suggests" (not dictates) that.

It doesn't matter what you say or said, layman, because your knowledge of English grammar is so abysmally low that you simply are not competent enough to discuss these things. Your posts are a study in confusion, interspersed with the odd insight, which come to you only by virtue of you being a native speaker.
0 Replies