Get someone to do sthg & get someone doing sthg

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 08:21 am
Is there any difference in meaning between "to get someone to do something" and "to get someone doing something"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me a few examples?

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 519 • Replies: 7
No top replies

layman

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 08:36 am
@paok1970,
paok1970 wrote:

Is there any difference in meaning between "to get someone to do something" and "to get someone doing something"?

Thank you

Without any context, it's hard to even understand your question. Is a particular problem or task meant by "something," or is the sense that nobody is doing anything about anything--a bunch of lazy bums?
paok1970

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 08:39 am
@layman,
Should I say, "I got him to clean his bedroom" or "I got him cleaning his bedroom"?

If both are possible, do they mean the same thing?

Thank you
layman

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 08:42 am
@paok1970,
paok1970 wrote:

Should I say, "I got him to clean his bedroom" or "I got him cleaning his bedroom"?

If both are possible, do they mean the same thing?

Thank you

Not quite the same. The first one suggests that the task has already been accomplished. The second one suggests that it is a task still in progress.
centrox

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 08:50 am
@paok1970,
paok1970 wrote:

Thank you

I think you already asked this.

To get someone to do something means to get someone to start and complete a task. I got my son to clean his bedroom. I got my assistant to file all the reports.

To get someone doing something means to get someone to start something, or to take up a habit or practice. I got my sister preparing the meal then went in the garden. I got my mother reading the Bible every day.

0 Replies

paok1970

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 08:52 am
@layman,
And if I say, "I had him clean his bedroom," does it have the same meaning as "I got him to clean his bedroom"?

Again, thank you very much for the help.
centrox

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 09:00 am
@paok1970,
paok1970 wrote:
And if I say, "I had him clean his bedroom," does it have the same meaning as "I got him to clean his bedroom"?

That 'had' usage is mainly American. 'Had someone do something' means 'ordered someone to do something' e.g. a servant, employee, or contractor, whereas 'got someone to do something' can mean 'persuaded someone to do something'.

camlok

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 07:38 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
That 'had' usage is mainly American. 'Had someone do something' means 'ordered someone to do something' e.g. a servant, employee, or contractor, whereas 'got someone to do something' can mean 'persuaded someone to do something'.

They are as Centrox has described but the meaning can also be neutral, without any hint of "ordered" or "persuaded", ie. it can be a cooperative venture.

I had Camille do the dishes and I got John to mow the lawn. Bill was on making beds, Joan the laundry and me the vacuuming.
0 Replies