Take My Religion, Please

snood

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 05:33 am
(I wasn't really sure whether to post this in 'Philosophy and Debate', 'News', or here in Spirituality and Religion'. )

I'm disconcerted by the reports I've heard and read about the proselytizing on the part of some charitable organizations in the Tsunami relief effort. I couldn't help this from calling to mind what I've heard about how Christianity was spread, for instance, to the Native Americans, or to the blacks brought here as slaves. I'm imagining the vestiges of a family there in Indonesia; perhaps just a pair of teenaged cousins, or a grandmother and grandchild. Having just emerged from the absolute destruction of everything they knew as secure and real - family, home, routine - they find that their sole source of sustenance now comes with a very long, very sticky string attached - Christianity.
It bothers me on several levels.
It bothers me because- how is this not coersion? It bothers me because this is a large part of how some people never will get to the good aspects of Christianity. If they ever recover from the brainwashing that occurs whenever the necessities of life are psychologically linked like this to some system of thought, they will likely forever have, as an after effect, an abiding distrust of anything having to do with smiling white people, or the mention of "God" and especially "Jesus". It bothers me because this is how the disconnect is widened in the minds of many between the words, and the actions of "Christian", and between what it is supposed to mean to be "Christian", and how that motivation is bastardized by those with varying agendas.
In my mind and heart, at its base being a follower of Christ is like having cool water to offer someone who is thirsty. It is comfort and sustenance offered out of love - period. That's what I mean when I borrow the words of my 12-step program and suggest trying to practice "attraction and not promotion". It's what is meant when the old timers in the church say "let your light shine". I myself have been drawn at certain times in my life to ask people I've met - "what are your beliefs?" (in so many words... it may come out as "do you believe in God", etc.). I was drawn because of a perception of selflessness and peace about those people. I believe Christ would've wanted us to win souls with our actions. Mother Theresa said "Like Jesus, we belong to the world living not for ourselves but for others. The joy of the Lord is our strength."
Ann Coulter said "We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity". I just worry that today's Christians lean more toward the Coulter version.
Yes, its good that these Christian Relief organizations are doing the work they are doing. But what would be wrong with just making the bibles and chanting and rituals something that the disaster survivors could ask for, and not a part of the food, clothing and shelter package? It might take a little more work and planning to separate the two, but wouldn't the converts be coming out of an honest choice then?

What do you happy campers think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,052 • Replies: 15
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 06:11 am
Bothers the heck out of me too - is there evidence of it for real???

Apart from those idiots who weere gonna make off with 300 kids....
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 06:13 am
Good morning, snood. An excellent piece and one which should cause thought in many of us here. If given succor to those who are desperately in need, comes attached with a "convert first" string, then it is NOT the message that Jesus sent, and I agree with you 100%. What a lousy agenda. It's the worst kind of bribery. Unfortunately, my friend, many Christians misinterpret the Great Commission. They did so in Hawaii, and in South Africa, as well as many places around the world. It isn't just Christians, either. It's the aspect of any religion which makes demands in exchange for charity. I like to refer to it as hardening of the arteries which eventually we call dogma.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 06:32 am
Wonderful piece, Snood. I have no problem with religious tracts and services, being available, but, IMO, they should be there for the taking......................not given to people, or made a prerequisite for accepting the services that the religious groups have to offer.

Religion has often been foisted on the most vulnerable...................the mentally ill, the confused, the downtrodden searching for an answer......any answer. I have seen this over and over again with friends and relatives who were going through hard times. The religions were right there, attempting to pick up a convert or two. In my work with the chronically mentally ill, religious groups would come into the facility where they lived, on the weekends, when staff was absent, and attempt to spread their "word".

What is happening after the tsunami is really the "same old, same old". The difference is there is a march larger pool of helpless people, whom, at the lowest point in their lives, the religions see as an opportunity to convert.

If these people were REALLY practicing their religion, they would provide help without strings attached.

Shame on them!
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 06:33 am
A good post, Snood--and food for thought for those who support government funding for faith-based agencies here in the U. S. as well.

In my life, I have met a few -perhaps three- Christians who let the contentment and joy of their lives demonstrate their faith, and who spoke of it only when asked. This, to me, is a far more powerful testimony than that presented by hucksters confronting strangers on the street, or grim-faced, tight-lipped reactionaries lobbying for legal remedies in the legislature. The ten commandments have more signifcance when they are held in people's hearts and minds than they ever will inscribed on the walls of a courthouse.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 06:50 am
Snood,

it's not just Christians missionizing to tsunami victims. Falun Gong, Scientology, Kaballah Centre, assorted seedy gurus and their followers, they're all doing it.

At some point it's not even charity anymore. It's just trying to make a sale. Giving charity should ideally mean expecting nothing in return and this has been forgotten by all of the businesspeople. I mean religionists.

Dauer
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 07:15 am
Excellent thread. I'm reading with delight.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 05:09 pm
dauer wrote:
Snood,

it's not just Christians missionizing to tsunami victims. Falun Gong, Scientology, Kaballah Centre, assorted seedy gurus and their followers, they're all doing it.

At some point it's not even charity anymore. It's just trying to make a sale. Giving charity should ideally mean expecting nothing in return and this has been forgotten by all of the businesspeople. I mean religionists.

Dauer

I suppose it's a valid point, to say in effect "everyone's doing it" - I just haven't figured out why. It should be obvious why I specified Christians in the launch thread, but if it isn't - they are the ones most infamous for it, and who are doing it in the largest volume.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 06:52 pm
Snood

I'm sure there are a few different reasons among the different groups, with some of them perhaps meaning something vindictive. But as it has been explained to me by a missionary, it's like seeing someone in a burning building, and you'll go to any length to save them from the fire. That seems to be the mentality that fuels the current form of aggressive Christian missionizing.

Dauer
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 07:26 pm
Faith-based "charity" at its worst.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 08:18 pm
Snood, glad you raised this subject. Revolting, I say, and all the major religions do this. All they're saying is "This is the way I've been brainwashed and so I must brainwash you thus and so and gain some brownie points for myself." It's like these people have been hypnotized and can't help themselves. Maybe they are hypnotized, in a way.

When we must give needy people the bare essentials to stay alive, kindness, gentleness, is all that's needed. That's what the Tsunami victims will remember.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 08:23 pm
Ideally, giving ought to be done anonymously. In a case such as this, that isn't possible. I agree with snood's dissertation; it should apply to all givers.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:56 am
sun,

all major religions do not do this unless you do not consider Judaism a major religion. Judaism does not proselytize. It is in fact a custom that some rabbis follow to turn anyone interested in Judaism away three times to test their sincerity.

Dauer
0 Replies

angie

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:12 am
Wow, I did not know that. Very interesting.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:15 am
That's cool!

I'm not anything religious but I'm half Jewish and every now and then I learn something about Judaism that makes me think, yeah, that's me! Even if it isn't. Another one that made me think that was Gish Jen, I think, saying that Christianity is "obey, obey, obey", and Judaism is "ask, ask, ask."

Anyway, excellent post snood, agree wholeheartedly.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 04:39 pm
dauer, my apology, please accept. I know very well that Jews don't seek out converts as I said just that recently in one of these religion threads. I've enjoyed immensely the topic on Judaism.

Have been plowing through Herman Wouk's book, "Inside/Outside" about half through its 644 pages. I like the way Jews raise their children, allowing them their own opinion, their freedom no matter where it takes them, love of family even when there's differences, the community for God's sake is what we all crave, the studying of the Torah for the sake of stretching the brain/mind to its zenith, or just for the sake of studying the Torah (Wouk tries to explain this, at length but I need to read this part again. Why would anybody, indeed, ever leave Judaism?

Sun
0 Replies