Wierd Dreams -- Part Deux

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 06:10 pm
I've experienced another strange type of dreaming and was curious if any of you have experienced it too.
I was in the middle of a dream, I became aware it was a dream but the dream went on, and I tried to get out of the dream but i was trapped.
Is this lucid dreaming? If not, what is it? Have you ever had this kind of dream?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 699 • Replies: 6
No top replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 07:43 pm
I have, I used to get them all the time...they kind of scared me.....I never did find out what it was.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:27 pm
Re: Wierd Dreams -- Part Deux
CarbonSystem wrote:
I've experienced another strange type of dreaming and was curious if any of you have experienced it too.
I was in the middle of a dream, I became aware it was a dream but the dream went on, and I tried to get out of the dream but i was trapped.
Is this lucid dreaming? If not, what is it? Have you ever had this kind of dream?

Hi Carbon,

I've had this happen several times. I don't know if it's lucid dreaming or not, but in my case, I'm pretty sure I know what's happening.

I've read that during sleep, the major voluntary muscular systems are inhibited by the body to prevent damage during REM sleep. This condition doesn't last through every moment of sleep, and not in every individual, but is fairly common.

Several times, I've become semi-awake while still dreaming when I'm apparently in the "imobilized" condition, and the feeling is definitely one of being trapped and bound, unable to move.

The first time this happened, I thought I was awake and unable to move, but after having experienced it several times, and leaned to break out of it, I now feel that I'm actually asleep and just dreaming that I'm awake.

The dream feels very real. Since I'm dreaming that I'm in bed (which I am) and dreaming that I'm "awake", it's virtually indistinguishable from actual wakefulness (except that I can't move). The only way to tell the difference is to really focus your awareness enough to actually wake yourself up. It's a little bit like trying to move your arm or something, except that you're trying to focus your awareness. When you get it, you can actually feel the transition as the dream melts away and concentration latches onto consciousness. Very cool when it happens Smile

Hope that helps.

Have fun Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:29 pm
I think lucid dreaming is when you can actually control the dream. It's not just a recognition that you're dreaming.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 12:12 am
I, too, have experienced that imobilized, frozen feeling in dreams. It's usually so terrifying that it wakes me up.

Has anyone ever had the "I have to be somewhere but things keep hapenning to make me late and I'll never get there" dream ? Very stressful; I usually wake up exhausted from this one.
0 Replies

michaelyop

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 12:01 pm
Ever...
Ever been bordering between asleep and awake, then in the dream you've tripped or fell forward and in reality you,ve lunged forward in your bed (or where ever your sleeping :wink: ). This used to happen to me all the time, its weird.

Hope you understand what i mean!?.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 06:01 pm
i Know exactly what you mean. In school, i used to be dozing off and my legs would start kicking when I was about to fall asleep.
0 Replies