littlek

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 04:42 pm
So, Boo is in declining health. She has a degenerative nerve disease in her back hips that will eventually lead to total paralysis in her back end. She's a 10 year old boxer. She's still very happy and playful. She can no longer get up onto my (rather tall) bed - she makes it only like 3 out of 10 times. Her legs slide out from under her and her tail wagging (very pronounced in boxers) can knock her on her butt. I don't trust her to go up the uncovered wooden stairs in my parents' house, going down, she's pretty much ok.

My fear, which I think will become a reality, is that I'll have to put her down before she is no longer happy. People tell me there's a quality of life issue which will dictate to me when the time is right. She is such a happy and stoic dog, that I think she'll be wagging her tail and trying to lick my nose right up until she's out for good. This kills me.

How will I know when the time is right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 29,336 • Replies: 569
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 04:49 pm
Good luck with this issue, littlek. I've been down that road before. It can be a bumpy ride.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 04:52 pm
Thanks Gus. A few years ago I had to put one of my cats down. It was the first time any of the 3 pets of mine had been sick, she tail-spun into what was basically a coma. I was crazy for the week she was at the hospital and completely a mess when I had her put down. And, she didn't even "SEE" me when I was there at the end with her. Boo will be looking to me for assurance. I keep trying to picture that vet visit. I keep trying to think of all the different scenarios so that I'll be prepared.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 05:11 pm
littlek- I am so sorry. Years ago, we had a boxer, who thought that he was a puppy until 6 months before his death. Then, he became quieter. One day, when he as about 12, he seemed to have trouble ambulating.

About a week later, his hips and hind legs appeared to be paralyzed. He had such a pained look in his eyes. At that point we had to euthanize him. It was traumatic for all of us, but it was the best thing for the dog.

I certainly understand what you are going through. I think that animals know when they are in trouble. Boo WILL be looking to you for reassurance. Understand though, that when you finally have to put her down, you are doing it out of love and caring for her.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 05:14 pm
My ex had a much loved dog who's heart swelled up so big it could hardly breathe. The poor thing suffered way too long. Do me a favor k...don't let your dog suffer.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 05:25 pm
Oh, that's so hard. I miss having pets terribly, in general, and miss my pets (all of "my" pets have now died, the last two about a year ago, though I haven't lived with animals in over 15 years now), but this is the absolute hardest part. Because I haven't owned an animal as an adult, it's not a decision I've had to make, and I guess I'm lucky in that way.

Hugs.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 05:37 pm
Aaargh - it's tough - but you'll be fine. Sad - but fine.

I am the biggest wuss out, and I have done it heaps of times.

It IS hard to pick the time.

Thing is, we can't stop all suffering. We just can't.

For you to know it is time, you will just have to decide when it is outweighing her joy in life.

Most animals are stoic - and my dying cats have always purred ecstatically in my arms at the end - that bit is GOOD - though awful. You can ensure she feels loved and safe,
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 08:33 pm
littlek: The last time I had to go through that, I did some planning beforehand. I chose a different vet (with a good reputation) because I didn't want to associate my longtime vet with my dog's euthanasia. I made sure the bill was paid before the procedure, and I made sure there was a rear exit out of the office. (You can also choose to be the last appointment of the day.)

You'll know when it's time. My dog was deaf, blind, and incontinent, but he could wag his tail and lick my face. He deserved better. In the office, the vet had to tell me to wrap my arms around my dog, but I'm glad she did. Oreo was happy and contented ... and he just went to sleep.

And then ... I'm not proud ... you sit in the car and bawl like a baby ... and periodically, at unexpected and embarrassing times, you continue to bawl like a baby. And as soon as possible, you go puppy-shopping.

Hang in there. It's all part of the journey.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 08:44 pm
that's so sad. Crying or Very sad

**hugs to both of you**

Hopefully there's something the vet can do to ease any pain your loved family pet is having? Sad

My honest opinion on this is (after the vet's vote for being put down because you've tried all reasonable options)... an animal should be put down when there are more bad days than good.

With that said, I'm no fool to know... that's easier said than done.

My sister-in-law just put down her dog, and it was long overdue. To her, she was doing fine, but those who hadn't seen her every day....couldn't believe how bad she looked/acted/and her lack of energy level.

My thoughts are with you littlek. Sad
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 08:50 pm
Thanks everyone. My cousin is a vet and I'm hoping I can arrange to do this at my house. Or at someone's house. Or outside somewhere beautiful. I dunno. Because - then what? What would I do with her? No one thinks anything but that she's still happy. What other litmus test is there? This disease is supposedly painless.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 08:57 pm
Also, LilK, my wife and I decided to scatter Oreo's ashes in some of his favorite spots. Part of him is in a river where he liked to swim, we sneaked another part of him into a forbidden state park pond where he once slipped his collar, dived in, and paddled around scattering all kinds of terrorized ducks, geese, and swans, and part of him is at home in the back yard. It's a small comfort, but I like knowing where he is (... especially the part in the duck pond. :wink: )
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 08:58 pm
A few years ago I had to put down my "baby" after 15 years
of being my loyal companion, after my Veterinarian thought
it was time for me to let go. My dog wouldn't have survived
another night and probably would have had a painful ending.

It was time for us to say good bye.
One of the hardest things I've ever done.....

Now we have Max, the little terror in our lives.

My thoughts are with you littlek, I know how you feel and
how hard this decision is going to be for you. ((((hugs))))
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:04 pm
Whooda - I have the spot chosen already. Since I rent and my family members who own their places don't plan on staying in them forever, I figure to cast her ashes at Mount Auburn Cemetery. It's one of the oldest continuous cemeteries in the US and has gorgeous, mature landscaping. People go for garden tours and such. It's a beautiful place that will out live me. The "then what?" was more to the practical question about what to do with her body, if I euthanize her outside of a vet practice - would my cousin bring her home and return her ashes to me? Could I maybe bury her bodily somewhere?

Thanks CJane.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:12 pm
Littlek--

You have my sympathy. I believe that death is a part of life. Mr. Noddy does not. I had to be extremely firm on Laddie's Right Not To Suffer last year.

Laddie was a courageous dying dog. He was completely incontinent for four months before Mr. Noddy agreed to have him put down and Laddie was embarrased several times every day.

He's buried out in the woods at the rear of our land. Earlier this week when we had the first Snowplow of the Season, Iffy (pit bull) was very confused, barking all alone at the Blessed Invasion of the Plow.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:14 pm
That would be quite a job to bury a dog of that size, lilk. When my basset died unexpectedly, we wrapped her in a blanket, put her in one of those large, plastic containers, and then took her to the crematory.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:16 pm
As I recall, the crematory was willing to pick up and transport the body for an additional charge (like $25.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:18 pm
Noddy, I hope to keep my sense of humor as you seem to have.

Whooda, thanks, I should be checking stuff like this out.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:33 pm
Littlek--

True Memories always come with humor.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:36 pm
No, Noddy, I think you're blessed. I have humor in most of my memories, but not in the memories of the death of my first cat.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:36 pm
My longtime Veterinarian does this as a service to the
owners: they take the animals to the crematory and
have the ashes send to you - all at no charge.

A couple of days later, they send a little plant of flowers.
0 Replies