THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

msolga

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 07:09 am
Shocked

Cane toads are coming: pest makes way to Melbourne in pot plant
December 15, 2009 - 12:18PM
http://images.theage.com.au/2009/12/15/971279/420-cane-toad-420x0.jpg
Kmart has sold 2500 Queensland palms like the one a cane toad hitched a ride in.

A Melbourne shopping centre has received a nasty early Christmas present with the discovery of a cane toad lurking in a pot plant.

The cane toad, one of northern Australia's biggest pests, is believed to have hitched a ride on one of 7000 assorted palm species delivered to Kmart stores from a Queensland wholesaler.

Quote:

The toad was found by Kmart staff in a pot plant supplied to its store at Southland shopping centre last week.

The discovery sparked a biosecurity alert in Victoria but searches by Kmart staff and Victoria's Department of Primary Industries found no trace of other cane toads.

However, about 2500 palms have been sold by Kmart and Victorians who may have bought any were urged to check for cane toads.

DPI manager of landscape protection, Brendan Roughead said there was still a low chance that cane toads could establish in Victoria.

"Biologically speaking, Victoria is not a cane toad friendly environment because the climate is too cold," Mr Roughead said in a statement.

"Kmart have responded quickly to this report and should be commended on their efforts to prevent any problems.

"About 2500 palms have been sold to the public and, although it is unlikely there are more cane toads, we would like people who have bought one of the palms from Kmart to check. .... <cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/national/cane-toads-are-coming-pest-makes-way-to-melbourne-in-pot-plant-20091215-kt0s.html
djjd62

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 07:19 am
@msolga,
i'm guessing they mean a plant in a pot, not marijuana

a lot of canadians would get that, but most americans would be thinking dope

isn't language usage interesting
msolga

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 07:22 am
@djjd62,
You know, that didn't even occur to me, djjd!

Guess I was just freaking, imagining those ghastly beasties taking over all our parks and gardens. They are truly frightful, ya know? Very, very hard to get rid of once they're established.
djjd62

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 07:25 am
@msolga,
reading the article makes it clear

they're ugly little critters for sure, and i've read about them being a real nuisance
msolga

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 07:45 am
@djjd62,
They are a HUGE nuisance in the north of Oz! You have no idea! Shocked
msolga

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 07:51 am
@msolga,

Quote:
Cane toads were introduced to Australia from Hawaii in June 1935 in an attempt to control the native Cane Beetle (Dermolepida albohirtum). They bred immediately in captivity, and by August 1935 more than 102 young toads were released in areas around Cairns, Gordonvale and Innisfail in northern Queensland. More toads were released around Ingham, Ayr, Mackay and Bundaberg. Releases were temporarily limited because of environmental concerns but resumed in other areas after September 1936. Since their release, toads have rapidly multiplied in population and now number over 200 million and have been known to spread diseases affecting local biodiversity.[1] The toads have steadily expanded their range through Queensland, reaching the border with New South Wales in 1978 and the Northern Territory in 1984. The toads on the western frontier of their advance have evolved larger legs;[2] this is thought to be related to their ability to travel farther. As a consequence of their longer legs, larger bodies, and faster movement, about 10% of the leading edge cane toads have also developed arthritis.[3] It is estimated that cane toads migrate at an average of 40 kilometres (25 mi) per year.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_toads_in_Australia
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 08:30 am
@msolga,
Theyre not a nuisance ! I love the little pop noise they make when you run over them. Have to be careful though, it can become a dangerous compulsion leading to accidents.
msolga

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 09:22 pm
@Ionus,
How are you coping, Adelaide?
We have the same maximum temperature today (39 C degrees - 102.2 degrees fahrenheit). I believe it's hit 36 C already in Melbourne ( .... & its rising fast. Two power outages already, in the last couple of hours ...
But the very worst thing is this: I have a 3 pm appointment & will have to go out into it!! Shocked Aghh!

Today's weather in Oz:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/weather/
Ionus

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 09:28 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
I believe it's hit 36 C already in Melbourne
Shocked
Quote:
Two power outages already, in the last couple of hours ...
Does that happen a lot ??
Quote:
I have a 3 pm appointment & will have to go out into it!! Aghh!
You have my sympathy.
By the way, I am not in Adelaide. I am in SE Qld. We have 26 C here. Very Happy
msolga

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 09:33 pm
@Ionus,
Lucky you, Ionus.

It's a stinker here. The damn wind doesn't help, I can tell you. Rolling Eyes

Fingers crossed. No fires today. Please, please, please! Perfect conditions for bushfires today. Sad
msolga

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 09:37 pm
@Ionus,
No, the outages aren't all that common. But I imagine everyone (apart from me! My house stays remarkably cool on days like this.) who has an air conditioner is using it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 09:40 pm
Gotta go out there now. <gulp> Wish me luck!
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 15 Dec, 2009 09:42 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Fingers crossed. No fires today
Have they announced any long term plans to solve fire problems ? I have gone walkabout over 40 years ago with Aboriginees and we lit fires everywhere there was dry grass to drive out game. Lots of little fires are required, but I dont know how that will affect people these days with high incidence of asthma and allergies.
msolga

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 01:27 am
@Ionus,
There is so much which has come out of the official post-fires investigation. I don't know how much of it is useful or not. A lot of cynicism around.

6:26 pm: The temperature is now 38.1 C
msolga

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 01:40 am
@msolga,
Just checked tomorrow's forecast.

http://weather.news.com.au/images/icons/fcast_s/rain_developing.gif

Rain developing & temperatures in the high 20s mostly.

Phew.

But a tropical cyclone approaching WA. Weakened, apparently. Phew.

Dutchy

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 02:34 am
@msolga,
40 plus here today msolga, cool change and rain predicted for tonight, want to see it first!
msolga

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 02:39 am
@Dutchy,
Fingers crossed for that change, Dutchy.

What an utterly revolting day to be out there!

BUT (looking on the bright side Smile ) no horrendous fires, so far! (Crossing fingers extra tightly that there won't be any at all.)
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 05:32 am
@Ionus,
whats involved in a "walkabout" .Is it just a long hike or more of an unfocused wandering about?

Whats the weirdest food you ate while on your trip?

We have stories of long hikes into wilderness areas but nothing like what I envision as being able to span an entire continent without being encumbered by civilization.
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 05:34 am
@msolga,
dont you hope for typhuns to provide you with summer rain?
Ionus

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2009 06:04 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
whats involved in a "walkabout" .Is it just a long hike or more of an unfocused wandering about?
There are two types of walkabout. One is where the individual gets pissed with everybody and wants to be by themselves. This can be an unfocused wandering if the season is abundant. The desert is very spiritual. It is no coincidence that Judaism, Christianity and Islam were born of the desert. The second type is where the tribe moves on, usually to move to a healthier area, more game, better water, seasonal migration and so on.
Quote:
We have stories of long hikes into wilderness areas but nothing like what I envision as being able to span an entire continent without being encumbered by civilization.
You can be quite encumbered by other tribes lands. That could mean war. What you need is an excuse, such as to arrange marriages, trade, catch up with relatives, etc.

The instance that springs to mind is in 1906 (??) one tribe got a hold of two .303 rifles and drove out the tribe that owned Ulluru (Ayers Rock). When the Australian Governmant gave the Rock to the Aboriginees, they gave it to the tribe that stole it just that century. The other tribe owned it since the dream time. Why dont they correct the mistake ? The true owners went to settle at Maralinga having lost many young men to the rifles and were nearly all killed in an Atomic Bomb test by Britain when they walked into the test area. They were found dying from radiation poisoning near some bushes. But shhh! no one knows that because it never happened....

The worst tasting food I had was turtle. It was a soup and was greasey with a very strong taste. If you like deer you will probably like kangaroo. The best food I had was witchity grubs. Depending on the wood you find them in when they are roasted they can taste like peanut butter. They are firm and oil free and very tasty. I recommend them.
0 Replies