THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

dadpad

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 07:08 am
This flu epidemic has reached our far flung corner of the country. Letter went home with all our high school children yesterday. Apparently a student has been in contact with someone who is being tested.

msolga

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 11:12 pm
@Wilso,
Yes. But despite this they are really delightful young people. I'm very fond of them. I wonder how many will be missing from school on Monday?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 11:15 pm
@dadpad,
Quote:
This flu epidemic has reached our far flung corner of the country. Letter went home with all our high school children yesterday. Apparently a student has been in contact with someone who is being tested.

So is it likely the school be closed, dadpad? Or will you have to wait for further developments? With fingers crossed.

I'm really in the thick of things, both where I live & work. Bit of a worry!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 11:22 pm
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2009/05/29/svCARTOON_MAY30_gallery__558x400.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 11:26 pm
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2009/05/29/moir3005_gallery__600x368,0.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 12:15 am
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6647283,00.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 12:33 am
Does this man have a point? Are we, in fact, more racist & backward than other similar countries? I know what I think, but I'd like to hear what you think!:

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200705/r143931_500877.jpg

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/05/26/2580954.htm
msolga

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 12:34 am
Crikey, I didn't mean to make that photograph so BIG! Eeeek! Shocked
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 12:36 am
@msolga,
I only have one name for the jerk "MEXICAN BANDIT"!!!
msolga

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 12:40 am
@Dutchy,
Well, Dutchy! Would you like to tell us more? Smile
Dutchy

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 12:46 am
@msolga,
I know of some people, and there were many, who he sacked from Telstra and the hardship and misery he caused them, whilst walking away with millions of dollars himself. I point out Telstra shares were $7.00 when he took over and just have a look at them now. Enough said?
msolga

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 12:47 am
Adele Horin on Sol Trujillo, in the SMH.:

Sol, your wake-up call is important: we've no good reason to be smug
Adele Horin
May 30, 2009/SMH

http://images.smh.com.au/2009/05/29/547477/horin-420x0.jpg
Racist Australia? ... Cronulla captain Paul Gallen, the Cronulla race riots and Pauline Hanson.

It's bad enough when an outsider dares to criticise Australia. But when the outsider is Sol Trujillo, the national hackles rise in outrage. Sol is easy to dislike. Let me count the reasons: his dismal business acumen which drove Telstra to its weakened state; the $30 million he pocketed for four years' work; his treatment of Australian telecommunication consumers; and his political positioning to the right of the Howard government which, remarkably, was too pro-regulation for his taste.

Quote:
When such an unappealing character slams Australia as racist and backward, as Sol did in a recent BBC interview, the response is understandable. Public reaction has been angry, defensive, dismissive. "Ridiculous," said the Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, who had prompted Sol's outburst by wishing him "Adios".

The messenger is dislikeable, but let's not shoot him. Trujillo's message about Australian racism has some validity. It would be useful if his words prompted reflection instead of defensiveness. .....<cont>

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/sol-your-wakeup-call-is-important-weve-no-good-reason-to-be-smug-20090529-bq6l.html?page=-1
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 12:50 am
@Dutchy,
Quote:
I know of some people, and there were many, who he sacked from Telstra and the hardship and misery he caused them, whilst walking away with millions of dollars himself. I point out Telstra shares were $7.00 when he took over and just have a look at them now. Enough said?

True, he was a disaster for Telstra, Dutchy. Any thoughts on his "racist & backward" comments?
Dutchy

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 01:10 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:

True, he was a disaster for Telstra, Dutchy. Any thoughts on his "racist & backward" comments?

His remarks are just a ploy to distract from his dismal performance here! I am from overseas myself and have never experienced personal racism in my 57 years in this country, and as far as being backward is concerned that's the best laugh of the lot. I've travelled all over the world and I have yet to find a country that equals our style of living. Being backward won't provide this in my humble opinion.
msolga

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 01:37 am
@Dutchy,
Quote:
His remarks are just a ploy to distract from his dismal performance here!

I tend to agree with that! And what he was paid for it! Shocked Incredible.
But I also agree that there is racism in Oz, though I do seriously wonder if it's any worse than any other country.
Dutchy

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 02:05 am
@msolga,
I'm not saying there isn't but I personally feel it is often over-emphasised in the papers to get head-lines. I do not regard the word 'adios' uttered by Mr. Rudd as being a racist remark as the liberal MP Mr. Minchin wants us to believe, it was a jocular of the cuff remark with no malice intended in my view.
msolga

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 02:28 am
@Dutchy,
Dutchy

I believe that Sol was somewhat racist, himself, in installing two of his o/s cronies at the 2nd managerial level (to him) at Telstra (creating "the 3 Amigos") to override the wishes of the Australian people & the Australian government. His "brief" was to screw us all, what we wanted from Telstra. And he believed it was possible, because he had an extremely poor understanding/total disregard for Australian culture/politics/priorities. Who could believe that he (& his installed cronies) could be even further right on the future of Telstra/privatisation than John Howard's government? I didn't believe such a thing was possible! Shocked

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 02:29 am
@msolga,
I'm with you.

What an overpaid, incompetent, appalling eejit this creature was.

Of course there's racism here.....this wasn't an example of it.

Adios and good riddance.
msolga

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 02:39 am
@dlowan,
Deb, he was just too inept, or lazy, or aggressive, or something (?) to understand that privatisation of a (now sadly, only partly-owned by the public) company in Australia is a totally different kettle of fish to the sort of work he usually does, on his ruthless home territory. He should have done a bit more homework!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 02:46 am
@Dutchy,
Quote:
I do not regard the word 'adios' uttered by Mr. Rudd as being a racist remark as the liberal MP Mr. Minchin wants us to believe ...

I tend to agree, Dutchy. To me, it was much like folk often say "G'day" or "Crikey!" (etc, etc ...) to Australians. If you became offended each time you heard that, you'd be offended all the time!

Though I have no doubt Rudd is delighted to see the last of him. Isn't everyone? Wink