THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

midnightcowboy

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 07:36 pm
@msolga,
A pother, being a disturbance is created by chucking because it's "against the rules". It's the ultimate disgrace for a bowler in cricket, except if you are Australian in which case you have been unfairly judged by incompetent and lowly idiots. A la Gordon Rorke.

Of course chucking had a different meaning in Colonial settlements days where those on board the holiday and resettlement luxury liners needed to be fully aware of what was going on above them in case they were leaning over the edge of the vessel.

A Barry Humphries inspired definition of the origin of the word became chunder due to passengers who considerately, before chucking or chundering, shouted "Watch under".
0 Replies

midnightcowboy

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 07:41 pm
@msolga,
Very good stuff this item. rather 50's updated with Howard's 50's view and thus still 50's but quite good.

Perhaps a touch of bias about some of the cities but we have all been girted by that now and again haven't we?

I must correct though the definition of xenophobia. We do actually have one phobia. That's phobiaphobia. I wonder if that's able to be understood? It's pretty deep!!

The definition of Bradman as being just short of perfection though gives the lie to this country. If we had any pretensions to greatness we would have "discovered" the extra 4 runs to qualify him for sainthood.

Particularly like the definition of a refugee. A Howard contribution no doubt?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 03:29 am
@Dutchy,
Thanks, Dutchy.

It was a very enjoyable day.
(And thanks for the congratulations. Quite a bit of work in front of me, by the looks of it!)

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 03:34 am
@midnightcowboy,
Hi midnightcowboy

And welcome.

You're Australian? If so, from which bit?

Gosh, you've gone right back to the start of this thread! (Seems so long ago!)
Dutchy

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 03:32 am
@msolga,
This would be the greatest hyprocrite in Australian politics today! Tom Koutsantonis, South Australia's new Road Safety Minister, has been exposed as a serial traffic offender. He has been fined at least 27 times for speeding, 3 times for running a red light and once for using a mobile phone. This man had the audacity to get on TV and preach this to his audience, "The real effects of reckless driving and speeding are death, injury and damage" and "Unfortunately, you can't legislate to avoid stupidity". At his first press conference he said he was "sick and tired of idiots driving on our streets".
I ask you, how on earth can a Premier appoint a hoon like that to tell us about road safety?
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25353628-2682,00.html
msolga

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 04:56 am
@Dutchy,
Quote:
Mr Koutsantonis said he took full responsibility for the offences - 27 for speeding, three for running a red light and one for using a mobile phone while driving - detailed in the Sunday Mail newspaper.

Oh my goodness! The Road Safety Minister, did you say? Surprised Razz
But he's gonna change his ways, as from now, right? Give the poor man a chance, Dutchy! Wink

Dutchy

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 05:38 am
@msolga,
Strike me hooray msolga you can't be serious, another chance, he's had 30 already! Haven't you heard of the saying "A leopard never changes his spots"?
In my view this man's position is untenable and should resign or be sacked.
msolga

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 05:47 am
@Dutchy,
.. um, Dutchy, you did see the Wink at the end of my appeal?

Laughing
Dutchy

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 06:01 am
@msolga,
Ofcourse I did msolga. Wanted an another bite of the cherry. Laughing
msolga

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 06:05 am
@Dutchy,
It's hard to tell sometimes, ya know, Dutchy. Sometimes people take those Wink comments very seriously & get quite angry! Shocked Laughing

... Which is why I've learned to use emoticoms a lot!

Dutchy

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 06:26 am
@msolga,
Dutchy never gets very serious or angry, life is to short for that. Smile
msolga

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 06:32 am
@Dutchy,
Dutchy sounded pretty angry about that Road Safety Minister! Wink

Don't blame you, actually. Pretty bizarre situation!
Dutchy

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 06:51 am
@msolga,
Thank you for the feedback msolga, as always constructive and well meant. Wink
msolga

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 06:58 am
@Dutchy,
Why thank you, Dutchy. I aim to please. Always.

What do you mean, "well meant"?
Dutchy

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 07:11 am
@msolga,
"What do you mean, "well meant"?

I feel your comments are always scrupulously honest and encouraging msolga.
msolga

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 07:36 am
@Dutchy,
Well I can understand why you'd think that, Dutchy! Very Happy
Dutchy

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 07:31 pm
@msolga,
Our 'speeding' Minister still front page news in today's Advertiser! Some more remarkable rhetorics from him here. Smile

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25353628-2682,00.html
lmur

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 10:05 pm
@Dutchy,
Well, this story reads more like an Irish joke, doesn't it Dutchy? Very Happy
Did ya hear about the paddy with 30 driving convictions? They appointed him Minister for Road Safety. Hohoho. And you've got to love that bit about his "unique insight" into the minds of traffic offenders. Yes indeed. 'WANTED. Minister for Justice. Only ex-cons need apply.'

Obviously, I've no knowledge of the personalities involved. But I imagine that Mr. Koutsantonis might henceforth experience difficulties in furthering his political career, a possibility that may not be too displeasing to some of his affiliated colleagues?

Dutchy

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 10:28 pm
@lmur,
It would be funny if it wasn't so serious. However Mr. Koutsantonis got the message loud and clear, he has just resigned!
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/
lmur

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 10:35 pm
@Dutchy,
Sanity prevails. For now!