THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

msolga

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 02:46 am
@roger,
It looks like a baby shark. Sad
dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 03:09 pm
@msolga,
THIS I didn't foresee

Plagues of KANGAROOS!!!

http://able2know.org/topic/130308-1
hingehead

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 09:34 pm
Anyone else heard of 'Craig's posters'?
http://www.smh.com.au/news/photogallery/national/craigs-posters/2009/03/11/1236447369953.html

Apparently it's an ideas stolen from New York's 'Chris'. Is Olga having a little fun?
margo

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 11:20 pm
@hingehead,
Craig sounds like a bit of a goer!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 03:48 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
Is Olga having a little fun?

Fun? (What's that?)

Who, me? Surprised

Never!!!!!

(sounds like a good event, though! )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 11:23 pm
@dlowan,
Sigh.:

Oil spill crisis multiplied tenfold
Posted 3 hours 44 minutes ago
Updated 3 hours 5 minutes ago

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200903/r349084_1597563.jpg
Oil has caked about 60 kilometres of beaches along the coast. (AAP Image: Dave Hunt)

The Queensland Government says an oil spill along the state's south-east coast is 10 times worse than first thought.

It has also been confirmed that two of the Pacific Adventurer's fuel tanks were damaged in rough seas on Wednesday.

Quote:
The oil spill was originally thought to have been about 20,000 litres, with one fuel tank damaged, but late yesterday the shipping company involved doubled that figure.

Queensland's Deputy Premier Paul Lucas has today confirmed the crisis is even worse.

"They originally told us 20 to 30 tonnes," he said.

"It is now apparent that it was about 230 tonnes."

Oil has caked about 60 kilometres of beaches along the coast.

Moreton Island - about 40 kilometres off Brisbane - is the worst affected.

About 350 workers are trying to remove the sludge but it is a slow process and most of it has to be done by hand to avoid further damage to the environment.

Moreton Island resident Amanda Graham says she does not understand how the container ship the Pacific Adventurer lost part of its load causing the disaster.

"The containers can't have been strapped down, they go through bigger seas than what we had," she said.

Most beaches on the Sunshine Coast are closed.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/14/2516277.htm

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 11:38 pm
Oil slick sludge is carcinogenic, authorities say
Posted 6 hours 38 minutes ago
Updated 3 hours 58 minutes ago

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200903/r349047_1597375.jpg
'Just disgusting' ... The clean-up on Moreton Island, off Brisbane, is only just starting. (AAP: Tangalooma Wild Dolphin Resort)

Quote:
Authorities have warned the toxic sludge coming from the cargo ship Pacific Adventurer is carcinogenic and it is melting the soles off people's shoes.

The oil spill that started on Wednesday off Moreton Island now covers around 60 kilometres of south-east Queensland's coast......

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/14/2516212.htm

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 11:44 pm
Ooops, just discovered that Deb has already started a thread on this topic:

http://able2know.org/topic/130380-1
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2009 05:54 am
Forgive me o' bumpkins of Oz:

Rural Australian Computer Terminology

A little bit of Aussie culcha.....

LOG ON: Adding wood to make the barbie hotter.
LOG OFF: Not adding any more wood to the barbie.
MONITOR: Keeping an eye on the barbie.
DOWNLOAD: Getting the firewood off the Ute.
HARD DRIVE: Making the trip back home without any cold tinnies.
KEYBOARD: Where you hang the Ute keys.
WINDOW: What you shut when the weather's cold.
SCREEN: What you shut in the mozzie season.
BYTE: What mozzies do.
MEGABYTE: What Townsville mozzies do.
CHIP: A bar snack.
MICROCHIP: What's left in the bag after you've eaten the chips.
MODEM: What you did to the lawns.
LAPTOP: Where the cat sleeps.
SOFTWARE: Plastic knives & forks you get at Red Rooster.
HARDWARE: Stainless steel knives & forks - from K-Mart.
MOUSE: The small rodent that eats the grain in the shed.
MAINFRAME: What holds the shed up.
WEB: What spiders make.
SEARCH ENGINE: What you do when the Ute won't go.
CURSOR: What you say when the Ute won't go.
YAHOO: What you say when the Ute does go.
UPGRADE: A steep hill.
SERVER: The person at the pub who brings out the counter lunch.
MAIL SERVER: The bloke at the pub who brings out the counterlunch.
USER: The neighbour who keeps borrowing things.
NETWORK: What you do when you need to repair the fishing net.
INTERNET: Where you want the fish to go.
NETSCAPE: What the fish do when they discover the hole in the net.
ONLINE: Where you hang the washing.
OFFLINE: Where the washing ends up when the pegs aren't strong enough.
msolga

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 06:24 am
@hingehead,
Very Happy
dlowan

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 06:04 am
@msolga,
This is a good article, I think, from newmatilda.com about Australian State Governments' knee-jerk populist responses to criminal matters:

Quote:
The Real Reason For The Bikie Laws

By Arlie Loughnan

They're rushed, they might make things worse, and they could well be overturned. These laws are more about politics than fixing the problem, writes law academic Arlie Loughnan
They say a week is a long time in politics, but in NSW we've rarely seen one as busy as that leading up to the enacting of the new bikie laws.

In the wake of the recent high-profile incidents of bikie gang-related violence, including the fatal bashing of Anthony Zervas at Sydney airport, the NSW Government introduced new laws to expand police powers relating to "criminal organisations" and individual members of those organisations. Within seven days, the NSW Government had declared its intention to pass new laws to deal with the crime and violence linked to bikie gangs, drafted the legislation, passed it in both houses, and had the Bill enacted.

The unquestioned rush to criminalisation exposes the overly-enthusiastic and even cavalier attitude that successive state governments have adopted in their recourse to criminal law as a means of control.

Despite indicating initially that the new legislation would not be in place until June, the laws were drafted and passed within a matter of days. This has meant that there has been no reflective consideration of whether they are indeed necessary, no community consultation and no critical evaluation of the experience in other jurisdictions.

Even independent of a consideration of the content of the new legislation, its rapid passage, amid fever-pitch mass media attention, is a concerning yet familiar feature of state-level legislative activity in the area of criminal justice: knee-jerk reactions to high-profile and exceptional criminal offending.

It doesn't seem too fanciful to posit that the NSW Government was awaiting another chance to "get tough on crime", perhaps a welcome distraction from the more intractable problems of the economy.

Equally concerning is that aspect of the political rhetoric surrounding the introduction of the new legislation that reveals one-upmanship in the "law and order" stakes between Australian states. The Attorney-General, John Hatzistergos, championed the NSW legislation as tougher than that of South Australia (the South Australian Act served as a model for the NSW laws).

Now the Queensland Government has indicated that it will enact legislation along the lines of that existing in South Australia and NSW. The issue of parallel national legislation is reported to be on the agenda of the next meeting of all attorneys-general.

It's unfortunate that, in the current era of multifaceted cooperation between the Commonwealth and the states, with the Labor party in power in all jurisdictions except Western Australia, the Commonwealth shows signs of aping the States' populist approaches on criminal justice. If this happens it would be a missed opportunity to reverse this legislative trend, which runs counter to the tone of the inaugural Federal Criminal Justice Forum held in Canberra in 2008, where it seemed a new direction in criminal justice might emerge.

The new law makes it possible for the police to apply to proscribe organisations and to make association between members of those organisations an offence. An organisation can be made a "declared organisation" if the judge is satisfied that a significant subset (measured in terms of numbers or influence) of its associates plan or engage in serious criminal activity and the organisation represents a risk to public safety and order.

Once an organisation is proscribed, a control order can be issued preventing any association " by phone, email, or meeting in person " between a controlled member and another controlled member. A breach of a control order is a criminal offence punishable by imprisonment for up to two years or five years for the second offence. The control order also prevents the affected individual from working in any of the high-risk industries listed in the Act, including the security industry. There is no time limit on a control order " it remains in force until it is revoked...........

Full article here:

http://newmatilda.com/2009/04/08/real-reason-bikie-laws

Much as I do not like criminal bikie gangs, I hate seeing this sort of "I have a bigger dick than the opposition cos I can make Tough New Laws about crime that has ignited a media frenzy, and never mind the need to think about what I am doing and what it may mean and I can me much horribler to criminals than you".

Blech.

msolga

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 08:22 pm
@dlowan,
Interesting, Deb.
From what I've read in media reports about the recent violence, it seems that these "bikie wars" are about which group gains control of the lucrative amphetamine market. As there are existing laws relating to violence in the community & also illicit drug trading, I'm also wondering why new legislation, specifically targeting organisations, is necessary. Is there some problem with the existing laws that needs to be addressed?

dlowan

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 08:35 pm
@msolga,
They want to be able to criminalize some of them even associating with each other.

Once convicted, and on probation or parole, (or even prior to court, via bail conditions) people can be enjoined from associating with known criminals and such...but that necessitates them being charged with an offence, at the very least.

This makes the ASSOCIATION the offence, as I read it.

I can imagine this being useful if there are careful checks and balances, but the NSW law was rushed through, so it is hard to see it as likely to be well-considered.....and in SA the ATTORNEY GENERAL, alone, can make a decision.

Not sure if he has, yet.....but you can see the types of concerns?

msolga

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 09:29 pm
@dlowan,
Yes, I understood that, Deb. (Maybe the wording of my post could be clearer?) I just wondered why this new legislation was considered necessary, rather than enforcing the existing laws in response to the criminal activities of the bikie gangs. Being seen to be getting tough to distract the community from other pressing issues seems .. well, ridiculous. Don't missunderstand, though .. I don't expect you to explain the motivation of the NSW & the other state her governments. Wink

The other thing that worries me about the new legislation: what other organisations could it be used against?
msolga

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 04:42 pm
@msolga,
Now you've got me thinking, Deb ....
In recent years there's new legislation specifically targeting "terrorist organisations", & now bikie groups .... I wonder which group will require special laws next?
dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 07:08 pm
@msolga,
Cats!
Dutchy

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 07:41 pm
@dlowan,
Rabbits!
msolga

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 09:39 pm
@Dutchy,
Smart thinking, Dutchy! We just can't have rabbits meeting in cells, plotting god knows what insurrections, eating all the farmers' grasses while they're at it.... say nothing of multiplying like rabbits!!! Yeah we need a law! Quickly!
dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 09:50 pm
@msolga,
Cats and goddam raptors!!!
msolga

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 09:59 pm
@dlowan,
Sticks n stones ..........! Twisted Evil