THE MEANING OF OZ - All you need to know!

Builder

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2022 09:51 pm
Interesting how low-key the "race that stops a nation" was this year.

Apart from being the coldest day in thirty years of the event, and a brief hail and rain storm,
the attendance was very low, and the media coverage scant.
hingehead

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 05:09 pm
@Builder,
Yes, I think #NupToTheCup is making an impression. No sweeps at my work and as far as I know no-one turned on the TV to watch it.

I saw Eddie Macguire on The Project, and he was, shockingly, saying that they did have to take the protest concerns seriously. That's tacit acknowledgement they've got an image problem.
Builder

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 06:47 pm
@hingehead,
I also got wind on social media, that a certain betting agency, whom I'm guessing can't cover their losses, chose to cancel memberships, rather than pay out on the winner's gains. Let's see how the defunded "Fair trading Australia" branch of government handles that mess.

As for Eddie McGuire, I gotta wonder when his expiry date is coming. Looks like everyone's chew toy, in David Koch, has almost worn out his welcome.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 07:03 pm
‘A silent killer’ - COVID-19 shown to trigger inflammation in the brain

Quote:
1 November 2022

Research led by The University of Queensland has found COVID-19 activates the same inflammatory response in the brain as Parkinson’s disease.

The discovery identified a potential future risk for neurodegenerative conditions in people who’ve had COVID-19, but also a possible treatment.

The UQ team was led by Professor Trent Woodruff and Dr Eduardo Albornoz Balmaceda from UQ’s School of Biomedical Sciences, and virologists from the School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences.

“We studied the effect of the virus on the brain’s immune cells, ‘microglia’ which are the key cells involved in the progression of brain diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s,” Professor Woodruff said.

“Our team grew human microglia in the laboratory and infected the cells with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

“We found the cells effectively became ‘angry’, activating the same pathway that Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s proteins can activate in disease, the inflammasomes.”

Dr Albornoz Balmaceda said triggering the inflammasome pathway sparked a ‘fire’ in the brain, which begins a chronic and sustained process of killing off neurons.

“It’s kind of a silent killer, because you don’t see any outward symptoms for many years,” Dr Albornoz Balmaceda said.

“It may explain why some people who’ve had COVID-19 are more vulnerable to developing neurological symptoms similar to Parkinson’s disease.”

The researchers found the spike protein of the virus was enough to start the process and was further exacerbated when there were already proteins in the brain linked to Parkinson’s.

“So if someone is already pre-disposed to Parkinson’s, having COVID-19 could be like pouring more fuel on that ‘fire’ in the brain,” Professor Woodruff said.

“The same would apply for a predisposition for Alzheimer’s and other dementias that have been linked to inflammasomes.”

But the study also found a potential treatment.

The researchers administered a class of UQ-developed inhibitory drugs which are currently in clinical trials with Parkinson’s patients.

“We found it successfully blocked the inflammatory pathway activated by COVID-19, essentially putting out the fire,” Dr Albornoz Balmaceda said.

“The drug reduced inflammation in both COVID-19-infected mice and the microglia cells from humans, suggesting a possible treatment approach to prevent neurodegeneration in the future.”

Professor Woodruff said while the similarity between how COVID-19 and dementia diseases affect the brain was concerning, it also meant a possible treatment was already in existence.

“Further research is needed, but this is potentially a new approach to treating a virus that could otherwise have untold long-term health ramifications.”

The research was co-led by Dr Alberto Amarilla Ortiz and Associate Professor Daniel Watterson and involved 33 co-authors across UQ and internationally.

The study is published in Nature’s Molecular Psychiatry.

uq.edu.au
Builder

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 08:08 pm
@hightor,
Had several rather dramatic psychosis "episodes" during my long covid symptoms. Apart from dosing up nightly on simple tonic water and aspirin, we're now taking ivermectin three days out of seven.

Highly recommend this, if you've taken their spike protein injections. As stated at the beginning, and later confirmed by pfizzer themselves, they have no idea what those injections will do in the longer term.
hightor

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2022 06:37 am
The Acclimatisation Society was driven by misguided ideals about 'fixing nature' in Australia
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2022 11:38 pm
https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/aussie-star-paul-hogan-speaks-about-whats-keeping-him-from-moving-back-to-australia/2b106593-fcb6-49b2-9373-bb0500dfb806?ocid=Social-9News
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 11:48 am
@Builder,
I get where he's coming from. When my kids got old enough for us to go where we wanted, our parent got too old to leave them. Now they're in their 90s and we're in our 70s. I sympathize with him 100%.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 12:05 pm
@Builder,
Reasonably stated, as well as an unscientific opinion.

That's a high standard for you, I hope you stick with it.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 04:38 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Yes, I think #NupToTheCup is making an impression. No sweeps at my work and as far as I know no-one turned on the TV to watch it.

I saw Eddie Macguire on The Project, and he was, shockingly, saying that they did have to take the protest concerns seriously. That's tacit acknowledgement they've got an image problem.

I generally hate horse racing at every level. They take these animals, and put every effort into breeding out of them all qualities except the ability to run fast in a circle. Primarily so people with too much time and money, can dress up in evening wear at 3 in the afternoon, drink champagne, and pretend they're better than everyone else.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2022 12:51 am
Still pushing the jabs here, despite growing evidence they do next to nothing.

https://www.facebook.com/SenatorAntic/videos/1288501351907967
hingehead

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2022 11:47 pm
@Builder,
You're quoting Antic - transphobe and spiritual buddy of Senators Canavan and Babet? Cooker.

Grow up, Senator! Kids reading about a girl in pants is not grooming
Courtney Act
Singer, presenter and drag artist
November 19, 2022 — 5.00am
Source: https://www.smh.com.au/national/grow-up-senator-kids-reading-about-a-girl-in-pants-is-not-grooming-20221117-p5bz4g.html

Last Sunday I emerged from a blissful 10-day silent meditation retreat to learn I’d been brought up in a Senate estimates hearing. Liberal Senator Alex Antic held up an image of me reading a children’s book on ABC Kids’ Play School Story Time. He asked David Anderson, the ABC managing director: “Why is the ABC grooming children with this sort of adult content?”

Thankfully, Anderson, alongside Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young, shot down Antic’s words. Hanson-Young, echoing the vast majority of Australians’ views, couldn’t have said it better: “Grooming is a really serious matter. It is not for being played with by conservative senators to make headlines.”

Antic’s concern was that the book I read, The Spectacular Suit, was “about a female child wanting to wear male clothing”. It was about a girl who wanted to wear pants, not a dress, to her birthday party. It’s 2022. Surely this point seems absurd to everyone but Antic. Katharine Hepburn already kicked down that gender door in the 1930s, and the action was made so much easier because she was wearing pants.

I was read the usual books growing up, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Possum Magic and Oh, The Places You’ll Go. I was weaned on TV that only contained heterosexual characters, albeit smurfs, crime-fighting turtles and a talking bath mat. I loved playing dress-ups, like all kids do, and was raised by loving heterosexual people who occupied traditional gender roles.

Yet somehow, despite it all, I turned out to be a flaming, proud, successful and balanced queer person. Really, anyone born before the year 2000 grew up in the same world and plenty of us turned out lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans. So showing queer kids straight content won’t turn them straight. And showing straight kids queer content won’t turn them queer. Your queer kids will be queer regardless of whether you show them examples or talk to them about it. It just depends on how much shame you want them to carry into their lives.

A vocal minority say kids are too young to learn about sexuality and gender, that they are adult concepts, but kids learn about heterosexual relationships and binary gender roles from the moment they are born. Is what people really mean when they say kids are too young to learn about sexuality and gender that they are too young to learn about queer identities? Kids shouldn’t be exposed to age-inappropriate material. That is not in question. To be clear, I am talking about age-appropriate content adjacent to what kids learn about straight identities.

Is all drag appropriate for kids? Absolutely not, but that doesn’t mean that none of it is. Is drag inherently sexual? No. It’s performance that uses the heightened costume of gender to entertain. Kids see colour, fun and sparkles. They are not sexualising it. That’s something adults do.

Rather than acknowledging our shared humanity, detractors zoom in on the thing that makes queer people different – who we have sex with. Of course, queer people are much more than our sex lives but this preoccupation reduces us to “adult content”. Straight people have sex too, of course, but their identities are not sexualised because their sex is seen as “normal”. If you’re the status quo, it can be challenging to understand yourself independently of that, such as when you ask an American, “Where’s your accent from?” and they reply, “I don’t have an accent.”
Builder

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2022 12:18 am
@hingehead,
Like I've said before, this place should be renamed "shoot the messenger" instead of able to know (sic).

Avoidance isn't a sign of intelligence, hinge. It's the opposite.
Builder

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2022 12:50 am
@hingehead,
Jane Agirtan - REAL Independent for Mornington
dsrpSontoe5hrav3b2ce 2h4e0t6m4011 48901tmmi2N36a6tfmuog0 22: ·
📌 REMEMBER AT THE POLLS
👆 Half of Andrew’s Labor cabinet had resigned, decided to “retire” or were forced out by their toxic “leader”
🤷‍♀️ The other half can’t recall.
✊ I won’t forget SOE - single most undemocratic piece of legislation rammed through parliament last year.
🛑 And neither should you. Send those who locked us down for nearly 2 years into early retirement, rainbow mist and in Fiona’s case, back to street corner.
🙏Please support real ( not teal) independent this election!
https://janeagirtan.com/donate/
Authorized by Jane Agirtan 462 Tasman Dr, Rye VIC

Dopey Dan isn't anything like an Australian, Hinge.

Surprised you're supporting him.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2022 06:31 pm
@Builder,
You post so much [expletive deleted] and you wonder why I discount much of you post. It's not shooting the messenger, it's evaluating the source.

Lucky you never practice avoidance, hey?
Builder

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2022 12:22 am
@hingehead,
How many links would you like, hinge? You all got conned, by an org with a history of fraud, data manipulation, and bribery.

We did try to warn you. It's not like a leapoard will change its spots.

Victorians were corralled and shot by their own police force, under orders from daniel andrews. You appear to be all for this going on your comments.

https://spectator.com.au/2022/11/died-suddenly/

https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/human-body/pfizer-did-not-know-whether-covid-vaccine-stopped-transmission-before-rollout-executive-admits/news-story/f307f28f794e173ac017a62784fec414

https://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/news/pfizer-admits-covid-vaccine-was-never-meant-to-stop-transmission

https://www.msn.com/en-in/health/nutrition/pfizer-admits-it-did-not-know-its-covid-vaccine-prevented-transmission-of-virus-when-rollout-began/ar-AA12UVUp

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-doesnt-prevent-transmission-antivax-disinformation-goes-viral-again/

https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/human-body/yes-they-claimed-the-vaccines-would-prevent-transmission/news-story/a176eb002c29e603fc29ef9fe0b33b18

I could go on and on, Hazzard has quit, and if there's any balls in the current admin, they'll quietly shove it under the carpet, like all admins do.

Surprised you're still attempting to push their narrative, hinge.
hingehead

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2022 01:34 am
@Builder,
Spectator and News.com - a .org (anyone can register one)

The MSN one that says that Pfizer didn't know if it prevented transmission - why does that shock you? It prevents and suppresses infection - that in itself reduces transmission. Not knowing if it suppressed transmission 'actively' at the time of a global pandemic but knowing prevents infection and reduces it's impact seems reasonable to me.

The 'scandalised' dutch MEP - is Rob Roos from the JA21 party:

Wikipedia says: wrote:
JA21 was founded on 18 December 2020 by Eerdmans and Nanninga, after they had left Forum for Democracy following an internal dispute over the party leadership's response to allegations of racism, antisemitism and homophobia against its youth wing (including glorification of Anders Breivik and Brenton Tarrant), and controversial statements made by party leader Thierry Baudet.[1][22][25] JA21 describes itself as a "proper" right-wing party and aims to fill the gap between the centre-right People's Party for Freedom and Democracy (VVD) and the more radical-right Party for Freedom (PVV). Party leader Joost Eerdmans had previously been a member of parliament for the Pim Fortuyn List and served as deputy mayor of Rotterdam.

So yeah, he completely fits the rightwing strategy 0f getting cookers angry about one thing to align them with something else.

4 jabs, still never infected (same goes for Mrs Hinge and my mother). Every chance I'll get it one day, but my odds of surviving are enhanced.

All power to you with your Ivermectin https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/why-you-should-not-use-ivermectin-treat-or-prevent-covid-19.
Builder

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2022 01:59 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
Every chance I'll get it one day, but my odds of surviving are enhanced.

Hopeful fatalism. It's basically all you've got.

As the joke goes; he died from covid, but it would have been much worse, if he didn't get the jabs.

I used to think you had some intelligence, hinge.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2022 07:16 am
@Builder,
The big advantage to your lying **** is that most of the Covid death has been how many right wing shitheads have died from it.

You asses still haven't learned.

One thing I ask, don't be in such a hurry to take your kids into the grave with you. People are dying of this **** still. The two morons next door have gotten it and have given it to their 10 yr old daughter.

If only you jackasses had gotten the jab and quarantined for a month or two and pinched the infection off.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2022 05:53 pm
@Builder,
Quote:
I used to think you had some intelligence, hinge.

That sentence started so correct and then crashed, should have stopped at:

Builder wrote:
I used to think