Recruit People to Join Club!

lala21

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 08:56 pm
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on starting a new club at my school, and I'm really excited Very Happy! Well, all I need now is a teacher to sponsor us, and people to join! How do you think I can recruit people to join? What motivates you to join clubs? What can I do to make the club member "population" higher?

I appreciate your comments! Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,572 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Charli

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 09:15 pm
What will the club be about?
Welcome to A2K, lala21!

What will the club be about? Why would anyone be interested in joining? It's that old question, "What's in it for me?"

Start practicing here on A2K. Many of the folks don't answer posts that come without a "good" profile. (Add to yours!) Also, add an avatar. Make folks "interested."

What age group will the club be aimed at? And, with an open enrollment? (Hopefully!)

Get back to us here and we'll see what we can come up with.

Good luck! Smile Smile Smile

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/Animation/chaplin.movie.gif
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 09:20 pm
Hi, lala.

If you are starting a club that you know is

1. Of interest to a good percentage of the general population

2. Has a magazine subscription related to the same topic/ interest

3. Also appeals to your age group

You should do well. You can talk to the editor of your school paper bout doing a story on your new club, post fliers around the school, talk about it to people during lunch, talk about it at the bus loading area, and enlist the assistance of your teacher sponsor.

Have you spoken to your favorite teacher about your club? Might be the perfect sponsor!
0 Replies

lala21

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 09:41 pm
Well, my club is going to be a Vietnamese Student Association (there's a lot of asians at my school) & the age group is middle schoolers. I've already asked my favorite teacher, but she's too busy! Hopefully, I'll find one soon. Thanks for you comments! They're really useful!
0 Replies

sobriquet

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 10:53 pm
I know at my old school there was a club week held at the start of the school year during which all clubs would have tables set up to attract members. Being this late into the school year though i doubt you are afforded such a luxury, in which case I would have to back Squinney's suggestion of having the school newspaper run a story on your new club.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 06:27 am
Love that avatar!
lala - Love that avatar! Thank you!!! And for the profile, too. You do write well.

About that new club . . . I'm thinking, I'm thinking. How about asking some of the prospective members for their opinions? Maybe run a poll among them? You can write the questions.

More later. Smile
[/color]
0 Replies

lala21

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 06:31 pm
Update!

So, I've found a teacher to advise our club & our club should be OFFICIAL this coming Monday! Hooray!
Using your advices, our school unfortunately carries a school newspaper (due to the fact that no one read it), but we do have a monthly update...but it's monthly. So, this weekend, I'm going to make posters & flyers to give to people & hang up around the school.
Thanks so much, everyone! I hope my club will be successful!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 06:35 pm
With you at the helm Lala I'm sure it will be.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 02:31 pm
Get some foxy chicks and hunky guys to join.
0 Replies

lala21

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 11:37 am
Laughing Good News Exclamation

It was my first meeting yesterday, it was a huge success! I held sign-ups during lunch, and there were 41 people!!!!! I was incredibly happy! After that, the meeting was held after school, and only 25 people showed up, but I was still so happy! Thanks for all your help, I hope this club shall experience more successes!

Arrow P.S. How do I get their attention? Like what else besides what I'm already doing will make them look forward to every meeting?

Very Happy Thanks!
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 08:57 pm
Ideas . . . ?
Set an agenda. Ask them for ideas. How often do they want to meet? What do they want to discuss? You need a mission statement - like tutoring disadvantaged kids; assisting tsunami victims; working in a food kitchen; helping some of them with their homework; the school needs new band instruments; raising funds for what project; going on a day trip to a fun park; . . . the ideas are endless.

Keep us posted on what you/they come up with.

Have a committee in charge instead of electing officers? Volunteers? A newsletter? (Especially for those who signed up, but were unable to come to the first meeting - keep them informed!)

Good wishes! -- Charli Smile Smile Smile
[/color]
0 Replies