Beliefs

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 06:58 pm
Are some beliefs what people try and use to make them feel secure? Religion for example. Whether you do believe in God or not is not the question. This applies to other things. This is much like being naive. Like some parents will constantly overlook the fact that thier child isn't perfect or the fact that they make mistakes and such. Is it because they don't want to believe it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 857 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Ray

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 10:37 pm
Maybe. Many people believe in religion because they grew up believing it.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 11:00 pm
We all have beleifs that we use to make us feel secure, and most of them aren't even religious. Anything that you learned as a part of growing up in your culture is a belief, and knowing your place in your cultural environment makes you feel secure.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 05:50 am
Hey.. another thread about beliefs. I bet the next time I visit it, it will already be four pages long, every other post by frank and snood. Question Smile
0 Replies

val

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 06:00 am
Re: Beliefs
Carbon

Our beliefs can be rational, that means, resulting from a logical reasoning. But they are always compatible with our personality, our way to live and feel. I see nothing wrong in that, providing those beliefs are rational.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 12:13 pm
That's very true. Then do we choose not to believe things because they're irrational? But often times we will refuse to believe the most obvious things because we're afraid.
0 Replies

fallen angel2

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 01:11 pm
in addition to logical reasoning, beliefs require faith and more faith then anything else in my opinion
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 03:15 pm
What if it's something as small as believing a piontless story you were told?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 05:42 am
There's been some talk of beliefs. But what I've always wondered about has not come up. One thing is to have a belief. Another is to act on it.

If you believe that all who are not religious are animals and should be caged, that is one thing. But, if you then act on it....

Where does the line go from mediocre halfbald knowitall to sick twisted dictator?

What scares me is that I think oportunity is the line.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 01:52 pm
I think you're right.
0 Replies