One-year-old boy found living on the streets, apparently being kept alive by cats

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 01:15 am
Real-life Mowgli kept alive by cats
A one-year-old boy has been found living rough on the streets, apparently being kept alive by cats.

Quote:
The boy, whose ordeal mirrors that of the character Mowgli from Rudyard Kipling The Jungle Book, was discovered by police in Misiones, in Argentina, surrounded by eight wild cats.

Doctors believe the animals snuggled up with him during freezing nights which would otherwise have killed him.

The boy was seen eating scraps foraged by the animals while they licked him, it has been claimed.

Policewoman Alicia Lorena Lindgvist discovered the child by a canal in the Christ King district of the city.

She said: "I was walking and noticed a gang of cats sitting very close together. It is unusual to see so many like that so I went for a closer look and that's where I saw him. The boy was lying at the bottom of a gutter. There were all these cats on top of him licking him because he was really dirty.

"When I walked over they became really protective and spat at me. They were keeping the boy warm while he slept."

Police have found the boy's father who is homeless and said he had lost the boy several days ago while out collecting cardboard to sell. He told officers cats had always been protective of his son.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 4,766 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 01:21 am
Quote:
Police have found the boy's father who is homeless and said he had lost the boy several days ago while out collecting cardboard to sell. He told officers cats had always been protective of his son.

This isn't a human interest story, it is a tragedy.

Whether or not the cats were looking after the boy --- and I seriously doubt they were --- there is no way that this child would have survived without adult human intervention.

Reunited with his "loving and responsible" Dad, this poor kid will be dead within the next 18 months.
msolga

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 01:32 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
[quoteWhether or not the cats were looking after the boy --- and I seriously doubt they were ---][/quote]

What do you think those cats were doing with this child, then?

(And of course human intervention was necessary for the child to survive.)
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 01:42 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
It's a tragedy alright...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 06:04 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:

How does someone "lose" a one year old? I hope that the police charge the man with child neglect, and take the child away from him. He is a poor excuse for a parent. I wonder where the mother was.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 08:48 am
If someone can intervene on this boy's behalf and see to it that he's cared for and nurtured.....what a wonderful life he'll have..... with that sort of control over pussy....

( I am so sorry....but it needed saying......)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 09:09 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
What do you think those cats were doing with this child, then?

Tenderizing him.
joefromchicago

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 09:10 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

How does someone "lose" a one year old?

It's remarkably easy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 09:46 am
There may be too many endangered children for the government to effectively take charge of them the way you advocate, phoenix. I do agree with your post, however.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 04:15 pm
@joefromchicago,
You're a very cynical person, joefromchicago! Wink

I like to think the cats were taking care of the lost child. Sounds like they took better care than the child's father, actually....
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 08:04 pm
Why do cats survive in groups in Argentina, while in the U.S. they tend to live separate lives?
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 08:18 am
@Foofie,
internet cafes...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/catcom.jpg
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 08:43 am
@Phoenix32890,
This is not only awfully judgmental, it is very poor public policy. It is a very bad thing when the government takes kids away from their parents.

How about some services? If the father is homeless and collecting cardboard to sell, you might think that the family might be in need.

I hope that this man gets some services, perhaps some housing and some support raising the kids.

Why, when it comes to the very poor, does everything have to be about punishment rather than support.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2008 08:54 pm
@Foofie,
Actually, they form groups in many places.

There has been an ethological study done of English barn cats (the females tend to live in supportive groups, help each other with kitten raising etc) while the males wander from barn to barn looking to mate.

Ditto with the Coliseum cats in Rome.

Here in Adelaide, we had the Rock cats...a group of cats which lived in a colony in the crevices in the rocks which had been piled up as a sea wall between the beach and residences.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 02:44 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Here in Adelaide, we had the Rock cats...a group of cats which lived in a colony in the crevices in the rocks which had been piled up as a sea wall between the beach and residences.

http://a527.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/54/l_95dcea5d533ce55e354a350126fe3aee.jpg
Pictured: Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper
Not Pictured: Snorky
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 03:39 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
There has been an ethological study done of English barn cats (the females tend to live in supportive groups, help each other with kitten raising etc) while the males wander from barn to barn looking to mate.

Typical!

Bloody males! Evil or Very Mad

Razz
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 06:30 pm
@dlowan,
Interesting info.; however, I like regular sized dogs (not the lap dog size), since they have a grand history of working alongside man for ages. Cats may have helped prevent plagues, by eating mice/rats, but they never really developed the same relationship with man. Here in the U.S., folks my age remember two great black and white tv serials, Lassie and Rin Tin Tin. Lassie was a female Collie that always protected her owner Timmie. And Rin Tin Tin was a German Shepherd that not only protected the orphan Rusty (living in the Old West on a Cavalry Fort), but always got the bad guy by the end of the episode. So, I do believe dogs are smarter than cats, and able to have a more meaningful social relationship with humans. Apologies to all the cat lovers.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 07:50 pm
@Foofie,

There was and maybe still is a couple of millenia old cat colony in Rome at piazza Vittorio Emannuele, their days described by Eleanor Clark in Rome and A Villa, and from the described organization of that, I can see this happening.

I don't really care if this can be linked to hot water bottle temp.. though maybe it is.
dlowan

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 08:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Dunno.

Animals can often recognize babies of another species...cats certainly can, and will often allow stuff from little kids that would get an adult scratched to pieces.

Siamese will try to defend the house against burglars sometimes (one of mine did not realise it was me coming home late one night, and was advancing on me like a banshee, looking supernaturally evil and making positively bloodcurdling noises....she was terribly embarrassed when she realised; stories of bailed up plumbers and suchlike abound).

I had a client whose very beloved cat appeared to bond with her baby in utero (a couple of colleagues are pregnant as we speak, and their cats are desperate to sit on their bellies with their ears to the baby, listening to the heartbeat, as far as we can tell)...this cat did that, and, when the baby was born, seeming to recognize that the mother could be abusive, set herself to protect the baby.

The mother told me that whenever she got unreasonably angry with her son, the cat got in between them and threatenrd the mother....had actually gone for her.

We used the cat's reactions as a good barometer to help the mother learn to back off and take some time out for herself when the cat stirred.

I think these cats, who would be used to caring for all kittens as a group, might well have recognized a "young", and incorporated it into their group.

The full article has more information about what they were doing.

That they were grooming the child really suggests it was seen as part of the group.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 08:32 pm
@dlowan,
I'm not disagreeing - and the temp tells them the child is alive.

This is a little weird for me, in that the one (and only) story I remember my mother telling when I was small was about cat kittens in a forest. I suspect she made it up on the spot, but don't know. Involved a lioness, I think, but I draw a blank on the details.
0 Replies