The Coolest Movie of the Past Ten Years..."Swingers"

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 12:24 pm
I had a dream last night that I started some new job in a new corporate hellhole, and for some reason there were four or five corporate losers and I in a limousine going to work. I was trying to be my usual jokester self, but my new co-worker stuffed shirts just weren't getting it.

Then I looked at the driver, and to my surprise, it was Jon Favreau, the guy who wrote "Swingers", the coolest movie of the past ten years! Suddenly we were all drinking cocktails and saying things like "That movie was so money!" and "Let's go find some beautiful babies!".

We took off the rest of the day and went to the Dresden for drinks.

If you haven't seen this movie, you should go rent it, right now!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,241 • Replies: 17
No top replies

panzade

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 12:25 pm
Thanks for the tip
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 12:32 pm
You haven't seen it?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:05 pm
I haven't seen it.

Speaking of a corporate job, have you watched Office Space yet?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:07 pm
Sometimes it seems Tico gets paid to flog "Office Space" and Firefox....tee heee...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:08 pm
panzade wrote:
Sometimes it seems Tico gets paid to flog "Office Space" and Firefox....tee heee...

I am nothing if not a corporate shill.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:13 pm
Tico, I did see Office Space. I saw a lot of myself in that main character. Pretty funny.

By the way, just in case you don't know, Swingers has nothing to do with being a corporate shill or not. Even a stuffed shirt like you would be able to appreciate it! :wink:
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:17 pm
"stuffed shirt"? C'mon now...... I actually like hanging out with you "regular" folk. Keeps me grounded.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:18 pm
I saw only a small part of it and lost interest quickly. They seemed to be a group of loser wannabes to me.
Maybe I didn't give it a chance?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:18 pm
Even when he's grounded, he's patronizing! Marvelous.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:19 pm
"Swingers" has enough quotable quotes in the script to rival "Pulp Fiction." You're right, kicky, it is one of the coolest movies of the last ten years and I couldn't agree with the critics who didn't like it. It's really a satire on the male bonding movies and I think they missed the point entirely. Ebert gave it a good review.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:23 pm
Perhaps that'll prod me to get Netflix again...or is the Blockbuster version better?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:23 pm
Swingers was awesome. I wasn't nearly as impressed with Made though.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:27 pm
Cav, I agree. I think the fact that Swingers was actually based loosely on Favreau's real experiences when he came to Hollywood gave it that little extra something...authenticity? Heart? I don't know, whatever it was, "Made" didn't have it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:28 pm
I like NetFlix because of their extensive library of alternative cinema, independents and foreign films.

I think I'll rent "Swingers" to see again.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 02:22 pm
Definitely about real experiences. Hubby and I saw it shortly after we moved to L.A. and we spent most of the movie punching each other in the shoulder and pointing. (Like, "Omigod!! That's exactly what happened/ what you said/ what that one chick said", etc.) We're not nearly as cool, though. Well, we hover somewhere around the before version of Favreau. We really really meant to get to Vegas but never did.

Gawd I hated L.A.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 02:35 pm
I remember me and my buddies were talking "Swingers" lingo for weeks after that.

There were so many hilarious scenes in that movie. The scene where he calls the girl and gets the answering machine, and then proceeds to leave ever-increasingly embarrassing and desperate messages for her is one of my favorite scenes of all time, in any movie.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 05:22 pm
That scene is on a par with the hair mousse in "There's Something About Mary."

This movie has perhaps the longest memorable quotes page on IMDb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117802/quotes
0 Replies