Upgrade Hard-Drive Questions!

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 07:24 pm
Ok, I have a 40gb hard drive on my computer, and I was wondering how I would go about and upgrade it to say... 80 gb or something, how would I do that? Is it cheap? or expensive? and if I can buy something how do I install it to my computer?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 520 • Replies: 4
No top replies

nighthawk

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 07:33 pm
Hard disks are pretty cheap these days, a quick search shows the following:

40gb - £45 ($80 ?)
60gb - £70 ($140 ?)

How hard is it? Check out this guide:

http://www.zdnetindia.com/help/howto/stories/13205.html

Easy! However if you are not willing to do it im sure you could find a friend willing to do it for you, or you could always take your computer down to the local PC shop, they will no doubt do it, but at a service charge.

You should be fine doing it yourself though!
0 Replies

IronMan2007

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 10:03 pm
Alright, one more question about the hard drive, lol... any specific kind to get? Or just get one for a good price? Like, is there brands that are crappy and brands that are good or anything?

Thanks! Ohh, and if you know where I should buy it that would be great too! Appreciate it!
0 Replies

nighthawk

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:31 am
Any brand will do, although go for one you have heard of if you can. Maxter, seagate, western Digital are all popular brands, although there are plenty of others.

Where to buy from depends on where you live. Pop down your local PC store and they will have a few on offer. If your in the UK try PC World or Dixons.

You could also try online, amazon have plenty.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:42 am
I go with respected, long-time hard drive makers like IBM, Maxtor, Seagate or Western Digital. Remember that the data on a drive is usually more valuable than the drive itself, so it's worth spending a few extra $bucks for something dependable. (At any rate, you can get an 80GB drive for under $60 bucks these days, and a 200 gigger for $100. ...Try shopping.com)

Personally, I will never buy another Fujitsu EIDE drive (I've heard some good things about Fujitsu SCSI drives, though). Two drive failures, from different batches, in one month will do that to ya.

If your motherboard has the controllers for it built in, you might wanna go with a Serial ATA (SATA) drive (they'll cost a bit more though).
0 Replies