Recycling old ink cartridges

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 03:19 pm
This is the first time I am going to recycle old printer ink cartridges. The company provided the pre paid mailers, but who will it really benefit? The high cost of the ink is because of the cartridges and the company is getting them back for free. All it is costing them is the postage.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 656 • Replies: 4
No top replies

nighthawk

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 03:37 pm
Are the cartridges really returned to the manufacturer or simply melted down and sold for remoulding as other products?

I dont think ink cartridges are that expensive to make. The reason ink cartrages are so expensive is to make up for the cheap cost of printers.

You can pick up a printer these days for around £50. This is obviously sold at a loss. Once you have a Epson printer, you need to buy Epson ink cartrages, so the manufacturers have you in their grips, and milk you for every penny your worth through expensive ink cartrages.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 04:34 pm
There is some minor benefit to the environment in recycling them (no plastic or ink dumped into the local landfill). If you aren't going to refill the cartiridges and resue them yourself and the company is providing a pre-paid mailer then why not send them in strictly based on the environmental factors?

I refill mine myself a few times before I actually replace them and then send them back in. *shrugs*
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 06:11 pm
fishin' wrote:
There is some minor benefit to the environment in recycling them (no plastic or ink dumped into the local landfill). If you aren't going to refill the cartiridges and resue them yourself and the company is providing a pre-paid mailer then why not send them in strictly based on the environmental factors?

I refill mine myself a few times before I actually replace them and then send them back in. *shrugs*

I would like to refill my own cartridges but I'm afraid that I would wind up with a mess.
0 Replies

nighthawk

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 06:55 pm
Victor Murphy wrote:

I would like to refill my own cartridges but I'm afraid that I would wind up with a mess.

I certainly wouldnt recommend it. My father done it once, and the ink leaked out inside the printer, causing a hell of a mess. It was some job trying to clean it up. Only ever done it once, and never again!
0 Replies