Men are better than women? or vice versa?!

rufio

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 01:18 am
Sex and gender are two different things. Which are we talking about?

If a man becomes a woman (or vice versa) through a sex-change operation, which are they? If they don't modify their gender role after the sex-change, did they really change? If they modify their role before the sex-change, did they change?

If we could step aside from equality being about power and opression and privelege for a moment, maybe we could answer some of these questions which are just about identity. I realize the question uses the word "better", but I don't think that any intelligent conversation can come from such a word.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 02:33 pm
BTW are there any difference in how men and women thinks?
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 07:59 am
i am so glad that people are actually seeing sense and realising that men and women are DIFFERENT!

why are feminists so determined to rid women of all their good qualities and turn them into men.

do we really need a world of men and no women?

we need women to do what their good at and men to do what they're good at.

this is how society functions and how it will prosper.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 10:47 am
Quote:
i am so glad that people are actually seeing sense and realising that men and women are DIFFERENT!

why are feminists so determined to rid women of all their good qualities and turn them into men.

What feminists are trying to do is to stop women from being viewed as objects, at least the real feminists are. Wome ought to have a choice if they want to work or not, after all they are humans.
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 12:44 pm
Ray wrote:
Quote:

What feminists are trying to do is to stop women from being viewed as objects, at least the real feminists are. Wome ought to have a choice if they want to work or not, after all they are humans.

when have i said that they shouldn't?
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 12:49 pm
I see that everyone on this thread has their own agenda to preach and thus has rather subjective vision. Alas.

No one is turning women into men. They are redefining the role of women to include things that were formerly restricted to the roles of men. The roles are still different, and women's roles treat things differently from men's roles. If you're going to go on about the virtues of homaking as opposed to working, I don't think any modern women would agree with your there.
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 01:03 pm
as soon as people hear womens roles.. or mens roles...

they get a certain picture in their head

womans roles can include many jobs but that is not the point.

the point is that women and men are better at certain jobs.

this does not mean men are only good at competitive tasks and women only at household tasks.

women can be competitive and men can be sensitive but it is scientifically proven that women are better at certain tasks and men at others.

this is not to say that women and men are CONFINED to such tasks it just means that men and women do better at seperate tasks.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 01:31 pm
The point is that different upbringings prepare men and women for different jobs. 100 years ago, women would have been unprepared for careers in business and engineering, and now they are not.

I have yet to see any scientific study outside of cosmopolitan that states what men and women are better at doing purely base on their gender.
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 01:38 pm
you might find this article interesting:

http://www.faculty.virginia.edu/sexdifferences/reviews7.html
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 01:51 pm
Those are sociological statistics, not scientific data. Much as I like sociology, it is not science that explains intrinsic biology - is it science that explains beliefs and roles, which proves my point further. Sociologists that claim that their data proves anything to be "hardwired" have their heads wedged. We don't have the neurological knowledge to determine differences in brains, and it is a pretty universally accpted and proven fact that sexual attraction is cultural and not biological. (Not talking about sexuality, but about what is considered attractive in general.)
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 06:45 pm
Quote:
when have i said that they shouldn't?

You didn't.

Quote:
as soon as people hear womens roles.. or mens roles...

they get a certain picture in their head

womans roles can include many jobs but that is not the point.

the point is that women and men are better at certain jobs.

this does not mean men are only good at competitive tasks and women only at household tasks.

women can be competitive and men can be sensitive but it is scientifically proven that women are better at certain tasks and men at others.

this is not to say that women and men are CONFINED to such tasks it just means that men and women do better at seperate tasks.

Some tasks, generally, women are better than men at, and vice versa, but once you start talking about women's 'roles', you're implying, at least to me, that they should be confined to those areas.

It's as if you're saying that women and men are objects to a "society".

I don't think that feminists are trying to make women into men, what they are trying to do is give women the same opportunity and respect as men.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 06:47 pm
A role is a part that you play in a larger context. It can be changed. It is voluntary. The same role is played differently by each individual. It is played differently depending on time and context. Think, like in theater. By comparison, saying that men or women are simply better or worse at one thing definitely indicates something that cannot be changed.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 10:41 pm
Oh I apologize for the misunderstanding Raheel, retracting my statements.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 10:47 pm
I think the strive for equality isn't being all equal in physical and mental capabilities, but equal respect and rights for both men and women, and all races of human beings.

Btw, do women think differently? I've heard that men and women learn better with different methods, but I think that's stretching it because even within the gender, people learn best differently, some are better visually and some are more auditory for example.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:39 am
But when respect and rights are not equal, we can't write that discrepancy off by saying that it's because "women are better at different things than men".
0 Replies