Talkin' 'bout my generation

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 01:54 pm
Ack!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 02:10 pm
I have moved through the Elvis generation, Beatles generation, hippie/leary/kesey generation, disco, locker room generation, cocaine and LOTS OF SEX generation, x generation, grunge generation, dad generation, am in the grandad generation, assimilated it all, and become the Bear I am today, straddling each of these generations and making ALL of them.....the "Me" generation.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 02:36 pm
LOL, Soz that multiple-choice thing was hilarious. Some stuff I didnt get (American), but with the rest I somehow ended up midway Gen X and Gen Y tho - aint I a bit old to be Gen Y, being from 71 and all? (Hell, I hadnt even heard of Gen Y till this thread ...)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 02:38 pm
Generation Y simply means

Y did gen X reproduce?!
Laughing
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 02:42 pm
Because Gen X destroyed some Xtra chromosones and voila...Gen Y
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 02:44 pm
Born just before the start of the baby boom.
The transitional generation.
From inkwells to ball points.
From to radio to TV shows.
From hearing Perry Como on the jukebox to
rushing home from junior high to watch American Bandstand.
From fear of war in Cuba to actual war in Vietnam.
From an Elvis ducktail to a Beatle moptop.
From Edsels to Pacers.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 03:43 pm
This whole thread reminds me of an item I saw a while ago on the net, few months ago ... I even wanted to start a thread about it, cause I thought it was so funnny and so spot-on ... also a generational thing I guess. I see this exact type man everywhere - downtown Amsterdam, downtown Berlin, even here in Utrecht in Wittevrouwen or the Vogelenbuurt ... its such a typical type, you gotta smile out of pure recognition. (Or could it be a European thing?)

Lemme translate & nick the pic --

Quote:

Hot or not: The Yuce
11 February 2004

We had the yup (Young Urban Professional), the yippie (Young Intelligent Person Persuing Independence and Experience), the yoppie (Young Overachieving Professional) en the metrosexual. Those types we know by now, every day we're confronted with their presence on this globe. Hot they haven't been in a long time anymore.

http://www.staatsloterij.nl/miljonairs/img/hotornot/yuce.jpg
The yuce in action.

Retro track shoes
["track shoes" - is that the right English word? For Adidas and stuff? The originals I mean? - nimh]

But recently we have started to note a new type of metropolitan inhabitant on the streets of the big city: the yuce (Young Urban Creative Executive, pronounce like the English 'use'). You come across him ever more often: calmly talking on his cellphone, with his hip shoulderbag and retro track shoes. His vocabulary doesn't include the word "car", nor expensive suits or shiny watches. He does have three types of casual clothing: for work, for clubbing and for in between. With his contemporary looks he has driven away the stuffy yup from the couch in the loungy cafe.

Cutting edge

His creative job on the cutting edge of media, communication and commerce forces him to regularly go to Berlin, Brussels, London, Barcelona and Tokio, but for his holidays he prefers a hammock on the sunny Cuban beaches, a trek across the Andes or a train ride with the Trans Siberian Express.

Thrown out the TV

But then the yuce is averse to conventions, he's bored way too quickly and therefore always the first to pick up on things. Communication is to him a way of life, and not something to look at - internet to him is no more than a tool, and he hasnt had a TV for years. In his spare time the yuce pioneers in multimedia art, or plays a bit in a band of his own. He quotes as gladly from James Joyce's Ulysses as from Calvin and Hobbes. The yuce is able to turn his hand at anything.

Hot or not?

With his high education and invaluable work ethos the yuce strives for his first million. Will he make it too?

Funny thing is, I remember doing a Google on "yuce" and nothing! I guess the authors just made that one up hoping to coin the phrase - hey, you see this type on the street all the time, he needs a label!

The thing above appeared in a series also featuring 2004 trends like "make up for men", "older woman with eye candy boyfriend", "famous men posing nude" and "singers starting their own lingerie line" ;-)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 03:45 pm
That multiple choice thing is funny - I was all over the map though. I guess, like BPB, I am multi-generational.

I want to pick up that issue of Time - that sounds like an interesting article.

Free Duck.

Hmmmm. What to do what to do.

I might downgrade from the Ramone generation to say.... the Prince generation...... but the Fleetwood Mac generation.

No.
0 Replies