"The Quiet American"

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 01:35 pm
Plainoldme--the second fella sounds really Old School. Orders for you, then drinks his lunch on the first date. Now, that's what I call romance!

(Don't know about "Dart to the Heart". Whose album?)
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 03:56 pm
D'Artagnan -- Well, he was old school: that date was 30 years ago, when I was in my 20s. Hated it when men ordered for me: the quickest way to end a relationship!

Dart to the Heart ... I am having trouble remembering the name of the artist. Folk rocker. His songs are running through my head but not his name. Canadian?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 03:58 pm
Could it have been Bruce Cockburn, plainoldme?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 04:02 pm
D'Artagnan -- It is Bruce Coburn! You are a genius!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 04:05 pm
Well, thanks, plainoldme, though I did have a little help (Google).
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 04:14 pm
D'Artagnan -- Google is wonderful!
0 Replies

sodabred

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 04:49 pm
when one looks at "The Quiet American" one cannot help think of other earlier movies that were derived from g.Greene's books" the Third Man" a translation of" The Heart of the Matter" both with Trevor Howard a forgotten great British actor,who ranks I think with any of the best male Brit actors..he isn't listed in Leonard Maltin's movie book( a clear mistake)The T Howard work took place in Africa,another theme on colonialism. Howard would have conveyed a gutsier Fowler.I have watched "third" many times on TTMC and other cable channels over the years.I don't think I will return to see "Quiet" as often.Out of a ten rating I would give it a 7.8.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 03:36 pm
Anybody who liked THE QUIET AMERICAN should go read the novel by Greene since the novel is infinitely superior. Why the filmmakers left out so much of Greene's best material is beyond me.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 03:36 pm
Anybody who liked THE QUIET AMERICAN should go read the novel by Greene since the novel is infinitely superior. Why the filmmakers left out so much of Greene's best material is beyond me.
0 Replies