Any Cairns Locals out there?

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:16 am
Well I start my sea change move to Cairns tomorrow. I'm going to be with my SO.

I want a local to tell me the good things about Cairns. And any tips about settling in - like who's the best broadband provider, where can I buy Don Csabai, do I have to vote for Bob Katter?

If I find any decent public libraries on the way I'll check for your tips.

Oh Yeah! What's the best route from Cairns to Canberra?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,302 • Replies: 15
No top replies

msolga

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 06:49 am
Tomorrow? Surprised

So soon! Surprised

Good luck, hinge & may it be so very different from Canberra!

And don't disappear from sight & go totally troppo, hear? Just a bit! Laughing
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 11:00 pm
No fear of going troppo...

BRING BACK JOH!!!

<slaps self across face> Where's my medication?

That Pauline Hanson has some good ideas....

That Bob Katter sure is a chick magnet... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 06:08 am
Sounds like you've arrived! Laughing
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 06:48 am
Here's a good library:

librarians index to the internet

lwww.lii.org

Choose geography and then general resources. You'll get a listing of many helpful sites with an explanation of its assets. Good luck!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 08:13 pm
Too late hingehead

Good luck in the tropics!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 08:30 pm
hinge

Progress report, progress report!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 12:17 am
Well I made it safely last Friday the bit between Townsville and Cairns was through the bottom end of a cyclonic low and it was like swimming. My poor old vitara aquaplaning madly all the way.

Heaps of rain, very steamy, but if my SO's ragdoll cat can cope I'm sure I can. Madly trying to find a decent ISP (no thanks to the lack of Cairns A2Kers). Writing from Cairns library which is pretty neat. Access is a little slow and the library assistant is convinced that if you type in an address and it won't work then you should go to it via favourites. Sheesh. Talk about a battle of wills - my perpetual smartassness versus her strength of ignorance. I win, but I don't rub her face in it.

Well, I'm off to see what's been happening elsewhere in A2K. thanks for the kind thoughts. Still waiting to hear about one job so I'm not starving yet....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 05:00 am
Two adults & 1 ragdoll cat, all in one car! Surprised I hope you're keeping notes for the future novel, hinge. Anyway, very glad to see that you all made it without any major mishaps.
You know how Cairns seems just a hop, step & a jump on the map? It's a bloody different story when you do the trip by road, isn't it? Shocked Australia is BIG! I did it (years ago) on an el cheapo express bus! Broke & stupid, I was! But I really liked the place. It'll be interesting to read your observations.

Good to hear from you, hinge. Perhaps you can start a thread called something like: "Un-hinged in the Cairns Library". Razz

Good luck with the job!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 06:45 pm
Hiya Olga

I may have misled you - SO and cat and three dogs were already here - was only little ol' me in car.

I've done Cairns/Canberra a few times now. My record is leaving 11.30am on a Wednesday and arriving 12.30pm on Friday. That's going inland via Roma and dodging the suicidal wildlife.

Can't imagine doing it on a bus! That must have been horrendous - did you get to sit next to a snorer or a crying baby?

Cairns is still a little surreal - I can't tell locals from tourists. Have found staff of the various places I've dealt with lovely, mostly because I'm lovely and what you cast out comes back to you.

I've already got a Queensland licence and I've found out that our senator is ALP. Yay. Dopey Ensch is our rep though.

Did the centrelink thing today - wonder if they can find me a job before I do?

Will ponder your unhinged in Cairns idea - might just do it.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 08:21 pm
waiting for report.................
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 09:26 pm
hinge

Ah, a solo trip. I don't know whether that'd be easier or not. Either way, it's a helluva hike!
Must have been such a relief to finally arrive, though. You won't do that again, will you? Laughing I can just imagine the welcome: your friend, the ragdoll & 3 dogs, all beside themselves with excitement! And you, a shadow of your former self after the trip! Laughing

Yep, my express bus trip to Cairns was definitely madness. But I wanted to go & that's all I could afford at the time. I think I actually had a nightmare once on that trip (I wonder why!?) & caused much excitement for the others on the bus. What a trip! But no way was I doing THAT again! I flew back to Melbourne. I learnt my lesson!

Cairns was much smaller time then. It had a small town feel about it, though there were lots of European/US travellers there, at the youth hostel where I stayed. Everyone kept saying: "Stay out of the water!" (those jelly fish/stinger things Shocked ) & ear infections were big, too, for some reason. It seemed best to just LOOK at the water! The "southerners" who'd migrated there spent most of their time being raided by the police in the hills & being very paranoid when not blissed out.
And the locals knew that you'd come from "down south", coz you still walked too fast, compared to them, for the first week or so. But, after a bit, the humidity got to you & you dawdled, jay-walked & disregarded the traffic signals, too, just like them.

So you have a dynamic local member! Lucky you! You might have this irresistible to joined the local ALP!

Yes, do start a "Cairns" thread, if it is something you'd enjoy doing. I'm sure lots of folk here would be interested to hear about the place ... Just city slickers here, most of us Oz folk.

Good luck with the job-hunting & beware of cane toads & mushrooms! :wink:
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 03:25 am
bm
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 06:53 pm
Cairns is much bigger now - pop is over 100,000 and they have fed and state gov offices, a uni and libraries! I'm in the Edmonton branch today - much closer to home than the city branch.

Is very hot and humid still (no rain for a couple of days) and yesterday we went down to the Mulgrave for some river swimming, I made a banana chair out of a tree that had a big branch trailing in the water coz the river levels are up a bit. Very idyllic with a glass of unwooded chardonnay.

Today my gear gets delivered! My bike and my cds as well as boring stuff like my clothes. I'm just wasting time till then. Still feel like I'm in limbo. Need internet access at home so I can catch up with all my southern friends...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 02:59 am
Shocked Are you ready for this, hinge?

Last Update: Wednesday, March 9, 2005. 7:37pm (AEDT)

Cyclone Ingrid lashes north Qld

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200503/r42355_108528.jpg
Cyclone Ingrid is threatening the north Queensland coast. (Satellite image taken at 12:30pm AEST on March 9.) (Bureau of Meteorology)

Strong winds and steady rain are starting to lash far north Queensland as category 4 Cyclone Ingrid closes in on the east of coast of Cape York.

The weather bureau says the storm system has weakened slightly, but still poses a serious threat.

At 4:00 pm AEST Ingrid was about 80 km north-east of Cape Melville and 200 kilometres east of Coen. The cyclone
was moving west-southwest at 8 kph.

Senior forecaster Cathy Muller says Ingrid is on track to make landfall tomorrow.

"We are still are expecting it to cross the coast tomorrow morning, probably sometime after sunrise but before 10am local time," she said.

"Somewhere along the coast probably most likely east of about the Coen area and with that we are expecting the very destructive core with its winds gusts up to about 260 kilometres an hour in that area."

Far northern disaster coordinator Michael Keating says residents have moved voluntarily from small remote communities, such as Port Stewart, for safety. The local authorities are dealing with all of their local communities," he said.

"There have been no forced evacuations and some people have moved voluntarily because they see themselves at risk, but they have just moved to areas where they will be more safe."

Anxious wait

The bureau has issued a cyclone warning for communities between Cape Grenville and Cooktown. The warning extends inland across central Cape York Peninsula.

A cyclone watch is current for coastal and island communities on the eastern Gulf of Carpentaria between Weipa and Kowanyama. The cyclone warning between Cooktown and Cape Flattery has been cancelled.

Gales are expected to develop between Cape Grenville and Cape Flattery this evening and destructive winds are expected between Coen and Cape Flattery overnight.

The very destructive core with wind gusts to 250kph is expected near the coast east of Coen tomorrow morning.

The bureau says that although Ingrid has weakened a little, the cyclone still poses a serious threat to far north Queensland, with a very destructive core and the potential to generate a dangerous storm tide.

The bureau is also warning of a possible dangerous storm tide as the cyclone crosses the coast "with damaging waves, strong currents and flooding of low-lying areas extending some way inland".

Impact

The cyclone has forced Qantas to cancel two flights from Cairns to far northern destinations.

A midday service to Horn Island in the Torres Strait was cancelled at midday and a separate flight to Weipa was also called off this afternoon.

A Qantas spokeswoman says not all flights have been cancelled north of Cairns, and the company is monitoring the situation.

Meanwhile, residents of the Aboriginal community of Hope Vale are hoping their buildings can withstand Cyclone Ingrid if it heads their way.

Heavy rain and strong winds threaten to cut off the community.

Except for two elderly men who want to remain at their shacks at the beach, Hope Vale's residents will move to the town's four strongest buildings if Ingrid hits.

Hope Vale chief executive Greg Maclean hopes they can withstand Ingrid's 260 kilometre an hour winds.

"That's a hard one being a category 4, hopefully they can withstand the wind gusts," he said.

Even if the cyclone passes, the rain it generates could cut the dirt road to the town.

The council is anxiously waiting for a truckload of food and supplies to arrive before more rain
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 04:54 pm
Don't worry about me people, we just got a bit of rain. However I'm told that cyclones move very eratically so we're not out of the woods, but it's down to a category three. We're worried about Lockhart river though, apparently lots of unsecured boats and stuff that the wind will pick up and throw through anything in it's path.
0 Replies