Looking for a movie about a game

Marco0

Wed 27 Dec, 2017 12:47 pm
The premise was a competition between a few teams of kids where they had to complete a number of tasks. One of the tasks was to beat an arcade. A scene I remember was that the "heroes"/good guys team was having difficulty in this arcade and falling behind in time, and they plead help to another younger kid who was good at it.
The film was probably early 90's (definitely 80-99) and none of the movies listed at the Wikipedia article on "films centered around video games".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 645 • Replies: 4
Topic Closed
No top replies

tsarstepan

Wed 27 Dec, 2017 12:56 pm
@Marco0,
The Wizard (1989)?
Quote:
The Woodses, the Batemans, and Putnam convene in the crowd as Jimmy competes with Lucas and another finalist in a game of Super Mario Bros. 3, which at the time had not been released in the United States. Jimmy* wins the tournament at the last second after finding a Warp Whistle and getting the star.

*Jimmy being the younger brother/character to Fred Savage's Cory.
Marco0

Wed 27 Dec, 2017 05:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
hmmm.. nope. (can't quite confirm it but pretty sure)

The video game was not the central theme, it was just 1 of the tasks and it was an arcade machine not console/home TV, the game itself was (probably) not real, some kind of 1st person space shooter IIRC (I guess like the atari one? the graphics was not modern but pretty sure it was 1st person).

There *was* a girl AND an older boy on the team, and this kid (with a hat?) would just laugh at them from the back/corner of the store. Also, he was not one of the main protagonists. (but maybe he joined the team after that)

The footage had more 'quality', so pretty sure now it was 90's then.

Also, The Wizard features on the list I mentioned:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games#Films_with_plots_centered_on_video_games

Although I could be wrong about it not being there. (though not likely)
[thx!]
farmerman

Thu 28 Dec, 2017 08:28 am
@Marco0,
How about THE SANDLOT? It incorporated several "tasks" including getting the basebal back from a huge dog whose presence was a lwgend among the kids.
Marco0

Fri 29 Dec, 2017 04:01 pm
@farmerman,
No. The kids were a little older, the scenery was not so much on the outside (though I can't remember the other tasks).
The "larger game" (meaning, the arcade is just an inner game) was like that game, I think in the US is called "scavenger(?) hunt" (not sure it is 'scavenger'), where each task give clues to where to go next and find the next clue.
Beating the arcade would give the next clue.
0 Replies