Why Unwed Christians should not have sex?

Eryemil

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 08:34 pm
Don't even try it Marsh, Christians haven't suffered nearly as much as the suffering they have inflicted. I am not sure if there is an accurate way to measure suffering, but what I am sure of is that religious dogma has been the most driving cause for genocide in human history.

Quote:
In what state do you think society would be without the Christian Church? Do you think modern western culture would have arisen? Would we have colleges and hospitals since these institutions were begun by the Church?

What makes you theists think that without religion the world would be without morals or without the comforts that religions has brought?

Religion doesn't make morals, humans do. Religion doesn't give us the drive to strive for more, that is innately human, is our nature.
We are completely capable of deciding for ourselves what is and isn't harmful/harmless behavior.
Hospitals were created by the church because there wasn't anyone else to do it. If I remember correctly the first hospitals were places where people went to die, since disease was considered a trial of god, the only thing they did was make people comfortable as they died, while forbidding scientific thinking. Surgeries and such were also considered mortal sin against god. And don't get me started on the dark ages, when knowledge was considered a diabolic symptom of the coming end of the world.
0 Replies

marsh of mists

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 09:56 pm
Eryemil wrote:
Christians haven't suffered nearly as much as the suffering they have inflicted. I am not sure if there is an accurate way to measure suffering, but what I am sure of is that religious dogma has been the most driving cause for genocide in human history.

There is no way to measure suffering and yet you're sure "we" caused most of it? Just because you sense that it is true? Did the Spanish Inquisition cause more suffering than the jihads and gulags of history? Did enslavement and imperialism in European Christendom, cause more pain than the oppression and imperialism amongst the Babylonians, Greeks, Romans, Goths and Huns, Mongol hordes, early Muslim conquerors, secular Nazis and communists and Maoists and Baathists?

First of all, you're lumping billions of people under this giant banner, judging the group--as if we all think and act the same. THOSE CHRISTIANS did this, THOSE CHRISTIANS did that. Why don't you judge individuals, Eryemil? Do you judge Torquemada and St. Claire on the same moral plane because they're Christians? Wouldn't you be angry if I did the same generalizing toward whatever groups you belong to? It is true that some Christians has committed atrocities and all Christians (like all people) have sinned. Sometimes Christians have used Christian beliefs to justify their sins.

Quote:
What makes you theists think that without religion the world would be without morals

Did I ever say the word "morals"? Did I ever infer this at all? I never did nor do I believe it. I was talking about modern western culture. That's what I said. Your problem is that you're continually making this knee-jerk assumptions on what I believe, based on your prejudices about the Christian faith. Unconsciously you make a jump: "Marsh said that the Church created the first hospitals. All or almost all of "those theists" think that without religion the world would have no morals. Well, that's what marsh is saying!"

Quote:
What makes you theists think that without religion the world would be without...the comforts that religions has brought?

Well, I do think that without religion we wouldn't have religious comforts! I also think that moden Western culture grew out of Medieval European culture, and Medieval European culture was shaped to a major extent by Christianity. Draw from that what you will.

Quote:
We are completely capable of deciding for ourselves what is and isn't harmful/harmless behavior.

Don't be too sure of that. What about thieves, cheats, killers, and wife-beaters? Are they capable of deciding what is and isn't harmful behavior?
Quote:
Hospitals were created by the church because there wasn't anyone else to do it.

Why weren't hospitals built by the pagan Greeks and Romans? Why did it take the monks and nuns of the early Middle Ages to begin the first hospitals in Europe?

Quote:
the first hospitals were places where people went to die, since disease was considered a trial of god, the only thing they did was make people comfortable as they died, while forbidding scientific thinking. Surgeries and such were also considered mortal sin against god. And don't get me started on the dark ages, when knowledge was considered a diabolic symptom of the coming end of the world.

Absolute rubbish from beginning to end. You merely repeating common assumptions about Medieval culture. You envision it as a period devoid of intelligent thought, mainly due to the cold-hearted machinations of the wicked Church (all those theists). The Medieval period was a period in which much of the knowledge of Classical Antiquity was lost, but intellectual inquiry nonetheless flourished. Even in the early Middle Ages, which you, with Petrarch, call the "Dark Ages" (ask any Medieval scholar today what he thinks of that term).

As to medicine, it was not as advanced as it was in later periods (should it have been?), but doctors and hospitals nonetheless did what they could to heal injuries and cure sickness (though most hospital patients in the period were poverty-stricken old people who had come to die in relative comfort--like church-funded poor peoples' nursing homes) Medicinal remidies were widely used, somemore successful than others. Minor surgery was widely performed. Major surgery was performed much less, because risk of infection and death from pain (no anaesthetic) made such surgeries usually more dangerous than they were worth, up until the 19th century. Now, I'm not trying to claim that the doctrines of the Church didn't sometimes hinder developements. It's stance against human dissection (due to the the corpse being seen as sacred and not to be tampered with) did hinder medical inquiry. But the vision of the Church as this backwards stone-hearted oppressor of mankind, who willfully wants to keep us all ignorant thralls, is utterly false. And these stereotypes of the Middle Ages as an semi-barbaric wasteland were originally generated by protestants who wanted to portray the Catholic Church in as negative a light as possible.

I'm trying to convert you, Eryemil, and I certainly have no urge to "force my morals" on you. I only wish you'd try and see the other side of things with an unbiased, truly critical eye. These things are just not as simple as you seem to think they are.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 08:54 am
marsh_of_mists wrote

Quote:
What if I said "anti-Christianity is the world's leading persecutor"? I would have plenty of evidence to back up my thesis: the pagan Romans, the Reign of Terror, Stalin and the Bolsheviks.

If the truth offends you so be it. While the pagan Romans, the reign of terror, Stalin and all the other tyrants lasted relatively short periods of time. The oppression and intolerance of Christianity lasted for well over 1500 years. It's religious wars, massacres, expulsions, inquisitions, forced conversions and, etc., are all a matter of historical record.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 06:36 pm
Exactly.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 05:07 am
Hey Marsh.

I get where you're coming from, honestly I do. Your sitting there on the net and you see a lot of people saying bad things about your religion. You feel a bit attacked, as you would. People question the morality of your religious ideals, (which to you are most likely self-evident) and imply negative things about your religion.

Before you get to comfortable in the martyr position however, on the net atheism is far more harshly rebutted than christianity. You should realise that atheists are often considered by christians to be entirely immoral, soul-less creatures of evil who they claim will be tortured for eternity.

You should realise that threatening someone with an eternity of torture for not agreeing with you (and yes I appreciate that you see it another way) will make people negative towards you.

Christians are not an oppressed group or repressed minority, prophecised or otherwised you are not going to be "persecuted" short of moving to an islamic country. Compare the "persecution" you receive as a christian with that received by gay people and you'll find that it won't measure up.

Get off the cross, some of us need the wood.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 05:56 am
Welcome back Buddha!
http://smily.hit.bg/hug.gif

I hadn't seen any of your posts in a while.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 06:42 am
Eryemil wrote:
Welcome back Buddha!
http://smily.hit.bg/hug.gif
I hadn't seen any of your posts in a while.

Thanks Eryemil. I have the internet at home, however for my social life I frequently go out on thursday night and stay out through saturday. I'll pop in on sunday and then go out on monday again.

This frequently means that I have to concentrate my posting into a briefer ammount of time only 1-2 days out of every week. Along with maintaining a website and spending time with my boyfriend...
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 07:20 am
Nice!

http://img115.exs.cx/img115/581/s1gyahoo.gif

I broke up with my boyfriend recently, it has been hell, but I've managed to pick up the pieces.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 07:58 am
theantibuddha

:wink:
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 08:36 am
Eryemil wrote:
I broke up with my boyfriend recently, it has been hell, but I've managed to pick up the pieces.

I'm sorry mate. Still you're doing well. I was dating a wonderful guy named Michael a year ago, we were perfect in a lot of ways. We would discuss science and philosophy in bed, got along fantastically. He was working on his PHD and I'd keep him company while he worked in the lab. Then a number of events happened and he left me. I was a wreck for half a year or so. Even now I still find myself absolutely paranoid in every relationship I'm in. So yeah, I know how tough it is.

You've got my best wishes.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 10:15 am
Thanks Anti.
0 Replies

marsh of mists

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 06:59 pm
I truly was not trying to be a martyr/set myself on a cross, etc. All I'm trying to do is correct some false assumptions that I believe are being made, about my Church and my faith, particularly that the history of Christianity is, overridingly, that of oppression, cruelty, ignorance, and barbarism. That is not a correct belief and I feel compelled to rebut it. I'm not feeling persecuted, but I don't want misinformation spread about my religion. Sorry if I gave another impression.

theantibuddha wrote:
atheism is far more harshly rebutted than christianity. You should realise that atheists are often considered by christians to be entirely immoral, soul-less creatures of evil who they claim will be tortured for eternity.

As there are such beliefs floating around, I condemn them, and I'm confident that all those within my Church (I'm Catholic) who have virtue and good education about their faith would condemn them. In a way, that is my point, Antibuddha. I believe you can condemn Christians with foul ideas, even those whose foul ideas arise someway from their Christian convictions, without condemning Christianity as a whole.

Quote:
Get off the cross, some of us need the wood.

I think it's tacky for anyone who's not truly a martyr to act like a martyr.

Thank you for your thoughtful post.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 08:50 am
marsh_of_mists wrote:
Eryemil wrote:
Christians haven't suffered nearly as much as the suffering they have inflicted. I am not sure if there is an accurate way to measure suffering, but what I am sure of is that religious dogma has been the most driving cause for genocide in human history.

There is no way to measure suffering and yet you're sure "we" caused most of it? Just because you sense that it is true? Did the Spanish Inquisition cause more suffering than the jihads and gulags of history? Did enslavement and imperialism in European Christendom, cause more pain than the oppression and imperialism amongst the Babylonians, Greeks, Romans, Goths and Huns, Mongol hordes, early Muslim conquerors, secular Nazis and communists and Maoists and Baathists?

The Greeks? You can't really pin all tyranny on Greeks, after all, Athens was the home of the world's only true democracy where laws were decided by all the people through voting (granted women couldn't vote, but what do you expect from a prototype?).

Quote:
First of all, you're lumping billions of people under this giant banner, judging the group--as if we all think and act the same. THOSE CHRISTIANS did this, THOSE CHRISTIANS did that. Why don't you judge individuals, Eryemil? Do you judge Torquemada and St. Claire on the same moral plane because they're Christians? Wouldn't you be angry if I did the same generalizing toward whatever groups you belong to? It is true that some Christians has committed atrocities and all Christians (like all people) have sinned. Sometimes Christians have used Christian beliefs to justify their sins.

Like you did with the Greeks?

Quote:
Quote:

Don't be too sure of that. What about thieves, cheats, killers, and wife-beaters? Are they capable of deciding what is and isn't harmful behavior?

Some wife-beaters are actually Christians, so your point isn't that valid. I don't have religion, yet my morale values pretty much match up with everything Jesus said.

Quote:
Quote:
Hospitals were created by the church because there wasn't anyone else to do it.

Why weren't hospitals built by the pagan Greeks and Romans? Why did it take the monks and nuns of the early Middle Ages to begin the first hospitals in Europe?

Technically, the Greeks did have hospitals, though they were more like temples. People went there to be cured or treated. However, it wasn't perfect. To justify their claims that no patient has ever died in their Temples, they refused those who were blatantly going to die and if someone looked on the brink of death, they chucked them out.

Quote:
Quote:
the first hospitals were places where people went to die, since disease was considered a trial of god, the only thing they did was make people comfortable as they died, while forbidding scientific thinking. Surgeries and such were also considered mortal sin against god. And don't get me started on the dark ages, when knowledge was considered a diabolic symptom of the coming end of the world.

Absolute rubbish from beginning to end. You merely repeating common assumptions about Medieval culture. You envision it as a period devoid of intelligent thought, mainly due to the cold-hearted machinations of the wicked Church (all those theists). The Medieval period was a period in which much of the knowledge of Classical Antiquity was lost, but intellectual inquiry nonetheless flourished. Even in the early Middle Ages, which you, with Petrarch, call the "Dark Ages" (ask any Medieval scholar today what he thinks of that term).

I will partially agree with you there.

According to Terry Jones (or was it Terry Gilliam?) who was not only a member of Monty Python, but was a medieval history graduate, medieval times have been given bad press through misconceptions.

The Medieval Church actualy embraced scientific discovery and the majority of people doing scientific experiments at that time were monks.

Why, one monk, Roger Bacon, even predicted the coming of ships that didn't need crews to row, cars and even aeroplanes, so confident was he of scientific advance through the Church.

And contrary to popular belief the Church did not believe that the world was flat and during that time some monks actually proved that the world was spherical through their observations.

Quote:
I'm trying to convert you, Eryemil, and I certainly have no urge to "force my morals" on you. I only wish you'd try and see the other side of things with an unbiased, truly critical eye. These things are just not as simple as you seem to think they are.

Though by definition Christianity is an evangelical religion, surely trying to convert someone is technically putting your morals on someone else?

Anyway, nicely argued and nicely balanced.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 09:18 am
Social status was very important at one time and having a child out of wedlock would have been seen as a sin and therefore a price had to be paideg, reputation tarnished.
Seeing as hormones go crazy when young it was teenagers who 'got it in the neck' from the dissaprooving masses and mostly female teenagers as if they get pregnant they cant hide the fact theyve had sex.

Firefly certainly hit the nail on the head.
people are afraid of the unknown.If they are told something is a sin and going to hell will be the punishment they will probably abstain from the supposed sin.

Sex is to be enjoyed, so scr*w everybody who says its not, just know about contraception.
0 Replies

the sleeper

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 11:59 am
The church says no to sex because they are a corrupt, man made institution founded by a bunch of guys who couldn't get non so they feel that they got to pick on every one else and say that it is a sin to even masterbate to a thought or picture of a woman. The bible never said that sex was a bad thing.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 10:38 pm
the sleeper wrote:
The church says no to sex because they are a corrupt, man made institution founded by a bunch of guys who couldn't get non so they feel that they got to pick on every one else and say that it is a sin to even masterbate to a thought or picture of a woman. The bible never said that sex was a bad thing.

Which bible are you reading...?
0 Replies