"The Christians I Know"

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 01:05 pm
BM
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 11:49 pm
snood wrote:
...and I guess you have no idea of my comfort level at any time - including while I wrote that.

Amazingly, Snood, I'm not trying to offend you, however prickly you might be. I am comfortable in my spiritual beliefs and willing to discuss them openly and reasonably.

From what I've seen (and I've seen a lot), Christianity is an exclusionary religion based on the premise that there are important people who get to go to heaven and then there are all the rest. Where's the humility in that?

You introduced at the beginning of this thread a nice description of good, open-minded, kind-hearted people. But then you spoil it by saying that nobody else is nearly so humble. Do you remember the Fruits of the Spirit? Is pride among them?

Sadly, Christianity is based on Judaism which is one of the most exclusive religions there is... strictly for God's Chosen People. He didn't choose the Navajo. He didn't choose the Picts. He didn't even choose the Italians. He chose a small tribe in the Middle East... and the Christians who've come after also feel that they are chosen. Where is the humility in that?

In fact, there is little humility in the Christian churches I've been in, but there is a lot of hubris. There is a lot of judgemental behavior. There is a lot of separation between who is "in" and who is "out."

Daoists, the belief system I mentioned, have a tiny sacred text. It is simply written and throughout the 81 verses it calls on the people to be humble, expressing again and again that only through humility can they find greatness.

Quote:
Verse 9
Holding a cup and overfilling it
Cannot be as good as stopping short
Pounding a blade and sharpening it
Cannot be kept for long
Gold and jade fill up the room
No one is able to protect them
Wealth and position bring arrogance
And leave upon oneself disasters

When achievement is completed, fame attained, withdraw oneself
This is the Tao of Heaven

THAT is why I question you when you say that anyone who isn't of your belief structure isn't humble enough.

Here's a Daoist parable:
Quote:
Once upon a time, a man with a certain military bearing approached the Zen master Hakuin and asked: "Master, do Heaven and Hell actually exist?"

The master wanted to answer in the affirmative, but knew that this would give the man a false impression. In all likelihood the man operated under the mundane paradigm that Heaven and Hell exist as places for souls in the afterlife. The master knew what he must do to break through that false preconception.

"What is your occupation?" He asked.

"I'm a general." This explained the military bearing about him.

The master burst out laughing. "What idiot would ask you to command an army? You look more like a butcher to me!"

This enraged the general. With a roar he drew his sword. He could cut down this defenseless old man in an instant.

"Here lie the gates of Hell," said the master. These simple words stopped the powerful general dead in his tracks.

Realization flooded in. The general sudden understood that the master had risked his life in order to teach him a great truth in the most effective way imaginable.

"Forgive me, master, for what I was able to do." He felt all at once gratitude, amazement, and shame.

"Here lie the gates of Heaven," said the master.
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 02:48 am
awwwwww... I made a cool graph of crime vs religion in excel from good sources, but I can't show it Sad It has to have a url
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 04:29 am
Wonderful post, Piffka.

Some among us stagger daily through the gates of hell.
Some walk the path of heaven on the way to lunch.
Some people live on a knife's edge, but they are comfortable.
Some on a broad plain filled with fruit trees and wild birds,
and run for their lives at every twig snap.

Where is the guide to sit before me and my sword?
Ah.
I see the reflection on his eyes on my blade.

Joe
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 09:16 am
Piffka wrote:

Quote:
Amazingly, Snood, I'm not trying to offend you, however prickly you might be. I am comfortable in my spiritual beliefs and willing to discuss them openly and reasonably.

What's "amazing" is that you keep assuming to know my state of mind - "comfortable" - "prickly". You'd do well to focus on what's actually being said, and just reply to that.

Quote:
From what I've seen (and I've seen a lot), Christianity is an exclusionary religion based on the premise that there are important people who get to go to heaven and then there are all the rest. Where's the humility in that?

I'm glad you've seen a lot, but you're having obvious problems just seeing what I've written on this thread. I said it's hard to talk about certain things to ATHEISTS because of a certain lack of humility in them. ATHEISTS - not Daoists, not persons from other systems of sprituality. ..And by the way, where have I ever claimed to be a Christian?

Quote:
You introduced at the beginning of this thread a nice description of good, open-minded, kind-hearted people. But then you spoil it by saying that nobody else is nearly so humble. Do you remember the Fruits of the Spirit? Is pride among them?

Again, you are imagining things if you think you read a post where I said "no one else is as humble" - I'm sure that, if I had said that it would fit your strawman argument, but I just did not say that.

Quote:
Sadly, Christianity is based on Judaism which is one of the most exclusive religions there is... strictly for God's Chosen People. He didn't choose the Navajo. He didn't choose the Picts. He didn't even choose the Italians. He chose a small tribe in the Middle East... and the Christians who've come after also feel that they are chosen. Where is the humility in that?

Where is your point, since I've neither set forth Christianity as some "supeior" religion, or set forth myself as a Christian? I wrote the launch post of this thread totally in reply to several posts I've read trashing Christians - simply as an attempt at equal time, no more, no less.

Quote:
In fact, there is little humility in the Christian churches I've been in, but there is a lot of hubris. There is a lot of judgemental behavior. There is a lot of separation between who is "in" and who is "out."

In pure point of fact, this has kept me from visiting many Christian churches myself.

Quote:
Daoists, the belief system I mentioned, have a tiny sacred text. It is simply written and throughout the 81 verses it calls on the people to be humble, expressing again and again that only through humility can they find greatness.

I know little about Daoism - I learned a little bit from a guy I trained in martial arts with, but that was long ago.

Quote:
THAT is why I question you when you say that anyone who isn't of your belief structure isn't humble enough.

And an intriguing argument you'd have too - if I'd said that.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 12:49 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Wonderful post, Piffka.

Some among us stagger daily through the gates of hell.
Some walk the path of heaven on the way to lunch.
Some people live on a knife's edge, but they are comfortable.
Some on a broad plain filled with fruit trees and wild birds,
and run for their lives at every twig snap.

Where is the guide to sit before me and my sword?
Ah.
I see the reflection on his eyes on my blade.

Joe

Gorgeous. I think it's all within us just as you've expressed. That truth in your images is so beautifully written, I hope you don't mind if I quote you.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:51 pm
Snood, you refuse to stand by the implications of what you post and deny that you believe it. I have to ask, "Has the rooster crowed yet?"

Tao does not translate to God. One does not pray to the Tao and ask for forgiveness, help or praise. Can that be a theistic belief?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 02:59 pm
Piffka wrote:
Snood, you refuse to stand by the implications of what you post and deny that you believe it. I have to ask, "Has the rooster crowed yet?"

Tao does not translate to God. One does not pray to the Tao and ask for forgiveness, help or praise. Can that be a theistic belief?

I dunno - but it damn sure isn't atheistic. And atheists are what I was talking about - you conjured up the whole rest of this discussion from thin air.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 12:17 am
I conjured this up, Snood, from an educated understanding of atheism which means a belief without God. Dividing atheism up into easy to understand terms -- the a=no, thei=God, ism=belief. For simplicity sake, please note that atheism consists of two types: anti-theism, or a rational disbelief in God; and non-theism, a rational belief system that does not include a God.

Taoism is a nontheistic belief system and would indeed be considered atheistic.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia under the search - Atheism:
Quote:
Similarly, atheism is not synonymous with irreligion. There are religious belief systems, including much of Buddhism, Taoism, and Unitarian Universalism, which do not require theistic belief.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 03:37 am
I've known many decent, reasonable Christians like the ones mentioned in the article.

My late Mom was one...I have brother who is one...and several cousins.

I love 'em all.

The are reasonable enough not to come on-line to an Internet Forum and discuss their religion. They realize that if they did...they would encounter people who feel very strongly that religion is a net negative for society and that many "religious" people are nothing but hypocrites....

...and that those people will mention their feelings in that regard.

And although I've never talked with them about this...they probably would think it every bit as inappropriate as I do for people to do that...and then get upset because people tell them the truth about how they feel.

I suspect they would understand that the people who have very negative feelings about religion and who share their feelings in that regard...

...are not necessarily doing it to be nasty or to hurt people...

...but rather are simply sharing very strongly felt considerations about the issue.

If only there were more Christians like them.

I hope I shared my feelings about the subject of this thread in a reasonable, courteous way.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 04:56 am
Yes, you did Frank. Congratulations, although I think you should check the medication bottle, I think it says "Take 1.5 doses of Prozac" not 15.

=====
I don't think that it is necessary to believe something exists in order to discuss it. The human mind is able to grasp many things. For example, I, once upon a time, had long involved discussions with a couple of people who thought Synchronicity was the force, the power, in their lives.

We had a lot of fun talking about it, even though for them it was deadly serious stuff. I didn't come away thinking as they did, but they said the talk had helped them see things about it that convinced them even more strongly that they were on the right path.

That may be the difference in discussing something with someone who believes they already have all the answers and who cannot stand for anyone casting about doubts, and someone who knows we are always seekers on a steep path, seekers of the next foothold.

Joe (Don't hold on to something so strongly that you can't occasionally wave your hands.) Nation
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 06:58 am
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
I've known many decent, reasonable Christians like the ones mentioned in the article.

I love 'em all.

The are reasonable enough not to come on-line to an Internet Forum and discuss their religion. They realize that if they did...they would encounter people who feel very strongly that religion is a net negative for society and that many "religious" people are nothing but hypocrites....

That goes double for people like you, who go out of their way to bring up reasons to blast believers, whether its on the subject, or not. Your implication is that those who talk about their beliefs here are less than those who do not - I guess that means that those agnostics who don't have a mania about blathering their ideas to anyone who will read it on an internet forum are above you.

Quote:
And although I've never talked with them about this...they probably would think it every bit as inappropriate as I do for people to do that...and then get upset because people tell them the truth about how they feel.

What color is the sky in your world? You are 99% of the instigation of the conflicts here, and you manage to twist it so that you're somehow defending some weird honor. People can hardly discuss belief in anything except Frank apisa, and you're up their ass with your worn out "you're just guessing" line.

Quote:
I suspect they would understand that the people who have very negative feelings about religion and who share their feelings in that regard...

...but rather are simply sharing very strongly felt considerations about the issue.

I "suspect" they'd rather speak for themselves, but you have a penchant for trying to speak for others, whether you know what the hell you speak of, or not.
Quote:

You're a real piece of work - you want to judge the Christians as to which ones are good and bad, AND you want to put down the entire religion, as well. Who the hell do you think you are, gramps?

Quote:
I hope I shared my feelings about the subject of this thread in a reasonable, courteous way.

You wouldn't know reason if it bit you on the heiny. And you probably had to look up the word "courteous".
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 08:09 am
snood wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

I love 'em all.

That goes double for people like you, who go out of their way to bring up reasons to blast believers, whether its on the subject, or not.

Because you are saying this happens...doesn't mean it happens.

Show some examples....if you can find any.

Quote:
Your implication is that those who talk about their beliefs here are less than those who do not

It is nothing of the sort...and if you would open your mind...you would see that.

My implications here are not even implications. They are specifics. If you come to an Internet forum to discuss religion...you should understand that some people have very strong feelings that may offend you. The prudent thing would either be to be an adult about it...or stay away.

Sounds like you haven't chosen either.

Quote:

Quote:

What color is the sky in your world? You are 99% of the instigation of the conflicts here, and you manage to twist it so that you're somehow defending some weird honor. People can hardly discuss belief in anything except Frank apisa, and you're up their ass with your worn out "you're just guessing" line.

The words pot, kettle, and black all come to mind.

Get control of yourself, Snood. You are raving.

Quote:
Quote:

I "suspect" they'd rather speak for themselves, but you have a penchant for trying to speak for others, whether you know what the hell you speak of, or not.

Yep...you are raving.

Quote:
Quote:

You're a real piece of work - you want to judge the Christians as to which ones are good and bad, AND you want to put down the entire religion, as well. Who the hell do you think you are, gramps?

I am Frank Apisa, Young Lad.

Quote:

Quote:

You wouldn't know reason if it bit you on the heiny. And you probably had to look up the word "courteous".

You are always good for a laugh. For that I thank you.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:29 pm
You make me laugh too, old timer - and I do it without dentures.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 01:41 pm
Laughing...at both of you

Very entertaining thread, Well done! Keep it up.

I was thinking of logging off...till I stumbled on this gem! Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 02:10 pm
<sigh> Is it necessary that self-examined beliefs fall into this pit of argument and insults?

Snood, there is a man, an evangelical, who was on TV yesterday promoting his book The Politics of God. He made an interesting case, I thought, that if Jesus were here, he would not be interested in getting rid of the capital-gains tax, revenge for 9/11 and some of the other shaky goals of the supposedly God-chosen leadership of this country.

He pointed to the parables of Matthew 25 and how they had changed his life. They are a simple blueprint for the goals of Christians -- the elimination of poverty and the protection of creation done without posturing or speculation as to who enters heaven and when.

I applaud the efforts that Christians make towards fulfilling this plan.

---
Here, for those of you who don't feel like looking it up, is a reminder of that chapter in my favorite, the KJV:

To the virgins who were too busy to do the important things:
Quote:
Verily I say unto you, I know you not. Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

For [the kingdom of heaven is] as a man travelling into a far country, [who] called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.

To the servants who tried to do something with what they were given:
Quote:
Well done, [thou] good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

To the servant who hoarded and said "I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth."
Quote:
[Thou] wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:

Take therefore the talent from him, and give [it] unto him which hath ten talents. For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.

To those peaceful sheep who tried to fulfill good works:
Quote:
...Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
For I was hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done [it] unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done [it] unto me.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 03:13 pm
Quote:
Snood, there is a man, an evangelical, who was on TV yesterday promoting his book The Politics of God. He made an interesting case, I thought, that if Jesus were here, he would not be interested in getting rid of the capital-gains tax, revenge for 9/11 and some of the other shaky goals of the supposedly God-chosen leadership of this country.

Whew, Piffka - I do hear you. The reason I don't identify myself as "Christian" is not because I'm ashamed of the teachings of Christ, but because of all the crap that's happened in the name of Jesus since he was around to speak for himself.

Quote:
He pointed to the parables of Matthew 25 and how they had changed his life. They are a simple blueprint for the goals of Christians -- the elimination of poverty and the protection of creation done without posturing or speculation as to who enters heaven and when.

The parable of the ten talents makes me think of that phrase "well done, good and faithful servant". I used to get chills imagining that one day I'd get to hear those words spoken to me.

Quote:
I applaud the efforts that Christians make towards fulfilling this plan.

I agree. I appreciate Christians who work by attraction, not promotion. that is, those to whom you just seem drawn to, or drawn to emulate, as opposed to those who just want you to "do as I say".
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 03:51 pm
<nodding> This is much, much better. Thank you, Snood.

"Well done, good and faithful servant" is the perfect expression for a life well-lived.

----
edit: I meant to add, as a student I always thought that those "talents" were so well-named. You'll appreciate the etymology of the word:

Quote:
talent
1292, "inclination, disposition, will, desire," from O.Fr. talent, from M.L. talenta, pl. of talentum "inclination, leaning, will, desire" (1098), in classical L. "balance, weight, sum of money," from Gk. talanton "balance, weight, sum," from PIE *tel-, *tol- "to bear, carry" (see extol). Originally an ancient unit of weight or money (varying greatly and attested in O.E. as talente), the M.L. and common Romanic sense developed from fig. use of the word in the sense of "money." Meaning "special natural ability, aptitude," developed c.1430, from the parable of the talents in Matt. xxv:14-30.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 06:17 pm
Snood, be careful who you argue with. Frank is the only militant agnostic I've ever encountered. And you know how those militants are about preaching the Gospel. Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 06:25 pm
Don't know why Frank has to be contrary like that. It ain't like he's a full-blown atheist. But I appreciate him nonetheless.
0 Replies