disturbing passages in the bible

DrewDad

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 03:11 pm
gungasnake wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
My personal favorite is the one about the kids who make fun of a bald man and God sends a bear to eat them.

Where in the bible do you read that?

2 Kings 2:23-25

23 Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, "Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!" 24 When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number. 25 And he went from there to Mount Carmel, and from there he returned to Samaria.

Writing styles change over a period of 3000 years. The authors of the OT never wrote that John went to the bathroom, but always that the Lord CAUSED John to go to the bathroom for such and such a reason. You can usually take or leave the religious interpretation in such cases, but when you read something like that, you can believe that John DID go to the bathroom. They did not make up the basic content of stories.

Sounds like some kids were making fun of an old guy and then a couple of bears happened along and the kids didn't have their 45/70 with them and regretted it.

Can we re-write some of the other passages?

I would think maybe the prohibition against homosexuality was due to hygene. Why don't we do away with that rule then, now that there's indoor plumbing.

No?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 03:15 pm
gungasnake wrote:
You simply cannot judge ancient people by our standards.

OMG, I've found something on which I agree with Gungasnake! Shocked

The corollary is true as well: Judging modern behavior by ancient standards is sheer idiocy.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 03:20 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I like where Abraham gets drunk and his daughters gang bang him.....I've never been that drunk

I thought that was Lot, whose wife was burned to ashes for the sin of looking back.

Again, when you read such stories, you can believe the content and do what you like with the religious interpretation.

In this case, the content is that the woman WAS turned into a pillar of salt by something roughly similar to a lightning strike or other plasma phenomenon.

Tony Peratt of Los Alamos has noted that any number of the geometric designs which are seen in American aboriginal petroglyphs can be replicated in plasma physics labs, i.e. that the ancients were recording plasma phenomena which they observed in the antique skies. Turning somebody who was a step slow into a pile of sand or salt would be a simple trick for such a phenomenon.

Meteorite storms and cosmic electrical violence were everyday affairs in biblical times. For instance the story of the meteorite storm at the time of Joshua:

Quote:

JOS 10:11 And it came to pass, as they fled from before Israel, and were
in the going down to Bethhoron, that the LORD cast down great stones from
heaven upon them unto Azekah, and they died: they were more which died with
hailstones than they whom the children of Israel slew with the sword.

The term "hailstone" here of course is the translation which King James' scholars made of 'barrad', which meant meteorites. Meteorites can kill people wearing armor; ordinary hail cannot.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 03:29 pm
sorry kids it was Abraham...frustrated because Sarah couldn't bear her a son if you'll recall he had plenty of daughters so the little sluts decided to help out,....
0 Replies