Guessing Game!: Post in the style of a favoured author.

Letty

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:39 pm
So many Frenchmen--so little time. Well, maybe someone else can come up with the answer. At least let me stick this one in because it's unique in that the entire drama has no dialogue.

Setting: Curtain rises and the first nighters see garbage cans and piles of refuse.

Inhalation--newborn's cry--exhalation.

Curtain falls.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 01:09 pm
Huh. We're sure this isn't Beckett?

'T'aint Jarry or one of his potache buddies, is it?
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 01:14 pm
I tink it might be patrick

My French Madame was Firmiani - the author Honore de Balzac
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 01:35 pm
May I have the envelope please!.......................and the winner is?

PATIO DOG.(huge applause and standing ovations)

Methinks Beckett was playing picasso and "putting on the world" with this little gem.

The funniest part of the entire thing, was the man who interviewed the first nighters on the street. One woman said: "Well, Beckett has done it again." (her voice filled with adulation and adoration). Shocked

The name of the play was Breath.

Ah, I searched and I searched the over informative Google , but just didn't know enough about the French classicists to plug in the correct words.
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 08:57 am
Deb, here's a nice easy one, female writer this time :-

The truth would seem to be--if we dare use such a word in such a
connection--that all these groups of people lie under an enchantment. The hostess is our modern Sibyl. She is a witch who lays her guests under a spell. In this thread they think themselves happy; in that witty; in a third profound. It is all an illusion (which is nothing against it, for illusions are the most valuable and necessary of all things, and she who can create one is among the world's greatest benefactors), but as it is notorious that illusions are shattered by conflict with reality, so no real happiness, no real wit, no real profundity are tolerated where the illusion prevails......
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 09:40 am
(Let - I'm not entirely sure about putting on the world, unless he did it a lot. Have you heard or read the "scripts" of any of his radio plays?)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 11:00 am
Hey, patio.

No, I haven't, but I need to review more of that man's work, I guess. I know that I was stunned to read about O'Neill's final days, and that caused me to review his works; however, Patio, I get a little yellow-eyed when I realize that an artist accepts money and refuses the award. Often when a literary giant secures a following, he shows his disgust for sheep by doing baaaaaaaad stuff just to see if they will hang themselves.

(anyone else having trouble with the spell check?)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 12:59 pm
Never do the spell check. (Don't want to insinuate that Beckett didnae have a sense of humor, either -- just noting that a lot of his work was in the vein of what might seem a put on. The "avant-garde" of the early and mid 20th century weren't averse to pranksterism, natch -- nor were they solely dedicated to it.

But I'm treading into waters I don't know much about, and am still to poorly read, ignorant, and timid to assay an imitation....)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 01:12 pm
Patio,

Just to keep this on thread, I'm gonna make another feral guess at hiamas' writer:

Dorothy Parker. I do hope Deb will forgive me, cause hiama really directed his challenge toward her.

Don't think, patio, that you need apologize for anything. You be as bright as a new copper penny. ( but then, when's the last time we saw a copper penny in the States.) Laughing
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 01:15 pm
(sheesh, a penny. a vending machine won't even take a penny. worthless, they are...)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 01:33 pm
Very Happy Smile Laughing Razz

Ok, then. How about as bright as a euro dollar.

What writer is this?(a penny for your thoughts)

We must offer indulgence and forgiveness to all people, so that we may get on with the business of state and do it with resolution as to what is right as God will help us to determine, so that democracy will always be viable and not disappear.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 02:06 pm
Hiama, Woolf, "Mrs Dalloway"?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 02:07 pm
Letty - Jefferson?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 03:41 pm
Hey, deb. You in the right category, but the wrong prez! Where the smurf have you been? Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 03:46 pm
washington? Lincoln?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 03:58 pm
Deb, 50% correct.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 06:55 am
Lincoln then, smeg it!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 07:19 am
smeg on,MacDlowan. Now I'm gonna try to do this from memory and I'll smeg anyone who calls me to task. Laughing

excerpt from Lincoln's 2nd Inaugural Address:

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God has given us (can't remember the exact phrasing here);
Let us strive on to finish the work that we are in: To bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who has bourne the battle....................
And to insure a just and lasting peace.

Embarrassed That all that I can remember.

Quite frankly, I believe this to be his greatest speech.

Incidentally, Ms. Deb. You were right...
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 10:54 am
Deb you were right with Woolf as well , clever clogs
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 04:42 pm
Hmm - I need to try me hand at this again - backson, bizi, backson....I shall return.
0 Replies