Whow! Two A2K-members are descendants of Ghengis Khan!

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:17 pm
Well, at least statistically: 866 members momentarily. 50% men = 433.
0.5% of that = 2

"Genghis Khan, the fearsome Mongolian warrior of the 13th century, may have done more than rule the largest empire in the world; according to a recently published genetic study, he may have helped populate it too.
An international group of geneticists studying Y-chromosome data have found that nearly 8 percent of the men living in the region of the former Mongol empire carry y-chromosomes that are nearly identical. That translates to 0.5 percent of the male population in the world, or roughly 16 million descendants living today. "

Ghengis Khan a Prolific Lover, DNA Data Implies
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,447 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:21 pm
Walter- Anybody want to make a side bet as to whom the two A2Kers are? Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:23 pm
Quote:
Curiously enough, though he didn't know it, he was also a direct male-line descendent of Genghis Khan, though intervening generations and racial mixing had so juggled his genes that he had no discernible Mongoloid characteristics, and the only vestiges left in Mr. L. Prosser of his mighty ancestry were a pronounced stoutness about the tum and a predilection for little fur hats.

--Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:24 pm
Yeah, Ghengis and Shirley Khan were like a couple of rabbits . . .

(BTW, the politically correct modern Chinese rendering is Chinggis . . . )
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:28 pm
Setanta

I'm sure only about 16 million male know the correct spelling ... :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:31 pm
(Genghis also spelled Ching-gis, Chingis, Jenghiz, or Jinghis,original name Temüjin, also spelled Temuchin.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:34 pm
Temüjin, also spelled Temuchin, I believe, are names Ghengis, Khan, and all the variations are titles. Am I mistaken?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:34 pm
Hmm, I should check my genes up. Maybe, I should claim the Mongolian throne as the result? Laughing Razz Exclamation Mongolia is a very big country (1.5 million sq. km, or 580,000 sq. miles) with small population (2 mln. people), and it is almost ecologically virgin. Some investment in tourism industries there may bring good revenues...
Besides this, natural resources of this country include coal, copper, molibdenum, tin and uranium. It really worth trying to become a Great Khan there...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:41 pm
Roger, i believe that it correct--Temujin, i believe, means the Wolf, or the Gray Wolf, a reference to the Mongolian creation myth. Ghinggis is, as i understand it, derived from a rather unflattering Mandarin term for him, as conqueror. Khan is a generic central Asian title, variously translated as King, Emperor, etc.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:42 pm
Quote:
"Ghengis,
also spelled Cham, historically, the ruler or monarch of a Mongol tribe (ulus). At the time of Genghis Khan (early 13th century) a distinction was made between the title of khan and that of kh(k(n, which was the title Genghis assumed as Great Khan, or supreme ruler of the Mongols. The term khan was subsequently adopted by many Muslim societies. Among the Seljuqs and the Khw(rezm-Sh(hs of Central and Southwest Asia, khan was the highest title of the nobility; in ˜afavid Iran, it denoted a type of provincial governor. The meaning of the term eventually extended downward along the socioeconomic scale until khan became an affix to the name of any Muslim property owner, particularly in Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh. It is now often used as a surname." (britannica encyclopædia)

(A2K-software doesn't obviously know some mongolian[?] letters.)
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:49 pm
OK, if the term Khan sounds too much Muslim, I shall declare myself a Grand Duke of Mongolia (another possible titles for a non-Moslem monarch: king, Kaiser, Czar, Fürst, etc.) in case I find any reasons to claim the throne Laughing. I know that the country is a republic currently, but who knows whether this status is reversible... Republican system was imposed by the USSR in 1924, therefore the natives do not have any rich republican traditions.Laughing
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 04:50 pm
I have read about a (one) theory that Genghis Khan was of Nothern Persian origin, and had blue eyes. Of course most Mongolians were not.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 05:02 pm
um i've been called a mongoloid, wonder if i am related?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 01:44 am
No one of the genuine Mongolians belongs to the Caucasian race. They rather resemble Chinese or Japanese (with some minor differences in appearance, in particular, their average height being somewhat lower than this of Chinese/Japanese and skin being darker). If Genghis Khan was a Caucasian, this means that he is an "immigrant". Well, if Napoleon Bonaparte, a man of Italian origin (I heard that his real name was Napoleone Buonaparte), was the most famous of all the French monarchs, then why a Persian cannot be the most distinguished Mongolian ruler?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 01:55 am
steissd

Since Napoleon was born on Corsica shortly after the island's cession to France by the Genoese, his family originally was Genoese. (Italian univication was 1861, when the Kingdom of Italy was officially proclaimed on March 17.)
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 02:00 am
Well, if I remember well, majority of Genoese are ethnic Italians, and such a situation exists up to date. Of course, the Emperor was a devout patriot of France, and maybe, he was one of the greatest Frenchmen in history of this country, but his ethnic origin remains Italian.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 02:48 am
Since this "ethnic discussion" fortunately ended in Germany in 1945, and I was born later, I can't give further responses to this subject.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 04:47 am
Even when the connotation in which the minorities are mentioned is predominantly positive? I do not think that this may have any connection to the "discussions" taking place in the Reich in 1933-45.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 05:31 am
But if one talks about Genghis Khan a prolific lover, then one could also refer to the Turkic a flourishing language group.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 06:24 am
Mongolians are not Turks...
0 Replies