Is cussing a sin?

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 01:32 am
Do you believe that using curse words is a sin?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,200 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 12:50 pm
Give some example of what you mena by "curse words" or "cussing"

WARNING - I'm not sure what the Moderator will think if you post any inappropriate language.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 02:17 pm
Curse words, to me are like pepper in a meal. A bit adds emphasis, more ruins everything.

No, I don't think that using curse words are a sin. I don't believe in sin. I do think that the overuse of curse words illustrates a barren vocabulary a/o the inability to deal with hostility in a mature fashion, on the part of the speaker.
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 12:30 am
I think it's fun if you're in the company of those that like it Smile f-in is a good adjective to use as often as some kids use "like" Smile
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 12:42 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Curse words, to me are like pepper in a meal. A bit adds emphasis, more ruins everything.

That's so true!

I mostly curse in the car. Damn drivers just don't get out of my way Wink
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:59 pm
Remeber that Jesus said that God judges our hearts, not our actions, but a good tree produces good fruit...if the swearwords we use are hateful, then yes, that is a sin. But if you are just mad or goofing around, then they are just funny words. The only reason they are badwords, is because they were originally made to represent extreme hate. If they are not used in that fashion, they are fine.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 02:02 pm
a word is a word is a word.

it's the way you use it that matters.

Call someone an f*cking a**hole joking, no biggie. Call someone a f*cking a**hole and mean it, is just plain nasty. And being mean to each other is against what God wanted.

I think that you can be just as nasty calling someone an ignorant butthead as calling them a f*cking stupid prick. It isn't the word....man made those words. It's the intention.
0 Replies

Max209

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 11:32 am
i say it's a word and ok words can hurt
but its only words get over them

and a sin no just not always nice
(but i dont believe in sin so no worries Wink )
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 11:39 am
Well, there is that one word which takes the Lord's name in vain. G--dammit. That one feels sinful to me and that's the one curse word I try not to use. Otherwise, a word is a word and sometimes there's only one word, a 'bad' word, that conveys your point. So let 'er rip.
0 Replies

Max209

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 11:43 am
God dammit ???

i always thought of that as a lesser swear
i think that c-nt is quite a bad swear but even so as i said before i say there only words they are what you make of them
0 Replies

duce

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 03:42 pm
No, but less is more. When I hear all those duck rhyming words thrown together I tune out what the speaker is saying. And if every other word is of that nature,I discount the persons view subconsciously.

It is much more effective IMO to convey a view without "swearing". I always wonder about the person's vocabulary if its used in the 1st few words. Besides it offends some people, so why do it other than for shock value. It usually conveys a negative emotion, and I try to avoid those.
0 Replies

Rex the Wonder Squirrel

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:34 pm
Psalms 19:14-- Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in thy sight O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

Colossions 4:6-- Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

The "F Word" is hardly graceful. So are most all of the other "curse" words.

Especially if they are used to express hate towards a person, since hating someone "is like killing their soul."

So take the scripture as you will.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:38 pm
Melonhead isn't a greaceful word and that isn't considered a swear word by anyone I know. Just because it isn't graceful, I shouldn't say it?
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:38 pm
Amen, Rex.
0 Replies

duce

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 02:45 pm
Kristie wrote:
Melonhead isn't a greaceful word and that isn't considered a swear word by anyone I know. Just because it isn't graceful, I shouldn't say it?

I bet you could think of something nicer if you tried. (And would not nicer be BETTER?)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 02:55 pm
duce wrote:
Kristie wrote:

I bet you could think of something nicer if you tried. (And would not nicer be BETTER?)

Well, yeah but we weren't talking about nicer. I think it's equally mean to call someone a Melonhead as a mother f*cker if you have the same vicious intentions.

Words are a gift to me. I don't think I should be limited in my expression because someone feels that a word is "bad". If I want to say s*hit, damn, a**hole, f*ck whatever, I should be able to without being labled as "ignorant" or "classless". There is a time and a place for everything of course and that dictates your vocabulary. I wouldn't, for example, use the word s*it, if I were a doctor at a convention. I'd use the proper term. If I was a doctor, telling a story out with friends, I could use the term s*it and get away with it.

Just my opinion though.
0 Replies

Rex the Wonder Squirrel

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 04:18 pm
Quote:
If I want to say s*hit, damn, a**hole, f*ck whatever, I should be able to without being labled as "ignorant" or "classless".

And I want to worship my Lord and Savior without being labeled a "Jesusfreak" or a "zealot".

Some things just ain't gonna happen.

Quote:
I wouldn't, for example, use the word s*it, if I were a doctor at a convention. I'd use the proper term. If I was a doctor, telling a story out with friends, I could use the term s*it and get away with it.

I'm not saying you can't be informal. I'm saying that if you can't say anything nice, then don't say it at all. In much of the deep South, "damn" isn't considered a curse word at all-- but then again, it's usually used in the context of something like "Wrastle that damn 'gator" and not like "Damn you!"

The biggest thing is that society has changed words around and given them new meanings. "Hell," "ass," and "damn" are all in the Bible-- but in reference to the place, the animal of a donkey, and the verb "to condemn" respectively. Society, however, has given new, usually malicious meanings to these words, and so they are curse words when used in a malicious context.

The biggest misconception about this is that "well I can call you a melonhead and that's okay, but if I call you a f***er, then it's not." That's not necessarily true. It's just that, if I call someone a melonhead, I'm usually doing it in jest, and not meaning it. But if I actually mean it, then my speech isn't being graceful, and I doubt it's acceptable to my God, like scripture instructs.
0 Replies

duce

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 08:01 am
"if you can't say anything nice, then don't say it at all. "

This should indeed be the rule of thumb. But Slang is a habit and one it does not hurt to overcome. I know all those duck rhyming words, but I can tell you the story looses its flavor for many people when we lace our language with them. Why do it? It takes away rather than adds to our meanings. I believe in cleaning up anywhere you can and this one is just a no brainer. Your use of language is a reflection of you. Enough said.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 08:33 pm
Is cussing a sin? F*ck no. Nothing's a sin because there is no such thing as sin. Crime, on the other hand.....
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 08:50 pm
Grandma said cussing was bad.

So it is.
0 Replies