unwed father's rights

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 01:29 pm
Okay, here's the deal. My fiance dated a girl for about 3 months close to 3 years ago now. During their relationship there was no bond, it was strictly sex. Towards the end the girl took fertility pills so that she could get pregnant and then he wouldn't leave her. Well, she got pregnant, told him 4 months after they had broken up, and had the baby on Christmas in 2002. All there is is pure hate between all of us. Her family and her will talk horribly about all of us, and want nothing to do with his family, him, and definitely not me. We are the same way, his mom has recently cut off all contact with her and the baby, because of some recent events where the ex came to her home to completely bash on everything she owned and was. My fiance wants absolutely nothing to do with this girl, or her child. He has seen them for close to a total of 4 hours since the baby was born 2 years ago. We live in Oregon, and the mother and baby live in Idaho. She doesn't work, and live at home with her parents. Both of them were minors when the baby was born.

My question is, is there anyway for an unwed father to terminate his rights, without having to continue paying child support?

Also, if past-due child support is sent to collections, and is still unpayed, yet payments are being made on present child support, can anything bad happen?

Thanks for your help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 890 • Replies: 7
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 01:38 pm
Methinks this thing is a mess and there is a lot more to it than just what's posted. First, I have a hard time believing that anyone who is sexually active under the age of 18 needs to take fertility pills to get pregnant. Second, it just sounds like everyone involved is too young and/or immature to do what's right by the kid. Poor kid. Third, fiance should pay any and all child support due or past due.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 01:40 pm
Yeah. They can tow him off to jail for unpaid child support. You play, you pay.

He should have wore a rubber.

Sorry if this sounds mean but there is a child involved and he can't afford to be this immature.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 01:40 pm
No. He is the child's father and is legally obligated to support his children.

As far as the unpaid support, the answer is probably "yes," but depends on Idaho law (or whichever state the paternity case was filed in). If he is ordered to pay support and wilfully refuses to pay, he faces a potential jail sentence for contempt of court. He might lose his drivers license. Again, it depends on the law of the particular state.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 02:09 pm
I can't imagine any doctor giving a minor child fertility pills.

That just can't be true.

My real question to you is -- are you sure you want to marry a man who takes such obligations so lightly? A man with a history of such hostility? A man who has no problem abandoning his child?

Oh wait!

Thats not a "man" at all.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 02:13 pm
Question... why would you want to be with a guy who doesn't want anything to do with his child?? What happens if you have a child with him?? Will he run, even if you split up?? If he can't handle his responisibilty. then he isn't a man..... sorry just speaking my mind! My father abandoned me and I feel bad for the kid!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 02:21 pm
Re: unwed father's rights
tokeinivy wrote:
My question is, is there anyway for an unwed father to terminate his rights, without having to continue paying child support?

Also, if past-due child support is sent to collections, and is still unpayed, yet payments are being made on present child support, can anything bad happen?

Thanks for your help.

He cannot terminate the obligation to pay child support - I presume court ordered support.

Past due child support is added to current support payments in the order to withhold produced by the state's child support bureau (whatever it is called in that state) and wages are attached up to 50% of wages after mandatory deductions. If the offended state is either California or Colorado, an additional 10% of wages can be taken in the case of back support.

Like the others, why are you involved with this guy?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 06:10 pm
I'm joining the consensus.

Yes, he must support his child.

I find it very implausible that an unmarried minor would have access to fertility drugs. That bit of fabrication makes me suspect the entire story.

Why are you with this irresponsible guy? By his story she went out of her way to get pregnant and have her baby. Now he's being picked on by being expected to pay support.

You write:

Quote:
Also, if past-due child support is sent to collections, and is still unpayed, yet payments are being made on present child support, can anything bad happen

Evidently he didn't even begin to pay support until some strong, legal pressure was applied.

Ditch this creep and find an honorable man.
0 Replies