What to know to write well?

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 06:10 pm
Hi again,

Grammar has a lot of topics, but which ones should I study and master to write grammatically correct?

Punctuation?
Word order?

jespah

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 06:14 pm
@Filmmaker,
You need to know all of that. It's like asking which wheel of a car you can leave off.
Filmmaker

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 07:15 pm
@jespah,
Thanks

Can you please recomend any other topic to consider?
jespah

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 07:37 pm
@Filmmaker,
Are you a native English speaker? Because there are a lot of things in English that just plain don't apply to other languages.

But these do:
* Grammar
* Spelling
* Punctuation
* Word definitions and word choice
* Subject/Verb agreement
* Know what passive voice is, and when to use it
* Learn how to edit/tailor your communications to your audience
Filmmaker

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 07:43 pm
@jespah,
Spanish native speaker, but I want to write in English. I know more English grammar than Spanish.

And thanks for the list...
Glennn

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2017 08:29 pm
@Filmmaker,
As with most endeavors, practice is essential.
jespah

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2017 09:37 am
@Filmmaker,
Got it - one thing about Spanish, as you know, is that you have more options for word order than you do in English.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2017 06:24 pm
@Filmmaker,
'Course Fil, you gotta be able to touch-type
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2017 04:28 pm
Writing well and writing with correct English are two very different things. Yes, it's important to get the mechanics right--a critical first step. But writing well involves far more than good language skills. Among other things, you also need an understanding of human nature and the ability to convey that understanding in different characters.

I encourage you to listen to Jespah. She writes very well in a variety of ways.
Roberta

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2017 06:47 pm
@Roberta,
I'm referring to writing fiction in the above. For other kinds of writing, other kinds of skills are required. Organization, clarity of thought and language, appropriate vocabulary, etc.
0 Replies

Filmmaker

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2017 07:34 pm
I have this problem:
I'm trying to learn by just reading a lot of grammar and little practice (starting to fix that one), but my biggest weakness is that I don't know anyone who can correct my mistakes and, why not, mentor me through the right way of writing.

It would be awesome if any of you give any advice on this.
0 Replies

Filmmaker

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2017 07:42 pm
@Glennn,
Agree, the problem is that I don't know anyone who can correct my mistakes.

Any web page or kind of a writing group that can help?
Glennn

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2017 08:22 pm
@Filmmaker,
You are asking for someone who will correct your material for you on an ongoing basis. Am I correct?
Filmmaker

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2017 09:47 am
@Glennn,
I am about to begin a daily writing routine for the sake of practice, but I need someone (individual or group) to correct any mistakes because: how else would I improve my weaknesses in writing?

I would say: “what I need is an ongoing feedfack on grammar use and what ever is related to writing”.

0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 09:35 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
* Know what passive voice is, and when to use it

Most native English speakers don't consciously know what the passive is but they all do know when to use it. That comes from grammar being innate.

The native English speakers who think they know what it is and when to use it are largely deluding themselves.
layman

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 02:57 am
@camlok,
camlok wrote:
That comes from grammar being innate.

Been readin yourself a lot of Chomsky, eh, Cambo? Figures, sho nuff.

Quote:
Universal grammar (UG) in linguistics, is the theory of the genetic component of the language faculty, usually credited to Noam Chomsky.

Geoffrey Sampson maintains that universal grammar theories are not falsifiable and are therefore pseudoscientific. He argues that the grammatical "rules" linguists posit are simply post-hoc observations about existing languages, rather than predictions about what is possible in a language.

Hinzen summarizes the most common criticisms of universal grammar [including the observation that] "Universal grammar is in conflict with biology: it cannot have evolved by standardly accepted neo-Darwinian evolutionary principles."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_grammar

Like Chomsky himself, you seem quite prone to presenting highly controversial and completely unproven propositions as fact, eh? To be expected from a 9/11 truther like you, sho nuff.

My apologies to filmmaker. This aint really on topic, but, then again, it kinda is. Don't believe everything you're told about language by some perv on a message board, know what I'm sayin?
camlok

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 08:27 am
@layman,
Your ability to accurately comment on English grammar is virtually nonexistent. You get all confused on simple things like the present continuous.

I am not a 911 Truther. That appellation goes to those gullible folks who believe in the US government conspiracy theory, the one that has zero evidence to support it. We all know this because you 911 Truthers cannot provide any evidence for said US government nonsense.

On the other hand, there is voluminous scientific evidence that proves the US government conspiracy theory is impossible.

You do know that Osama bin Laden had nothing to do with 911, don't you? With the admissions from the US that OBL was not involved in 911, the US government's conspiracy fable falls apart. But the science has already clearly established that.
Glennn

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 08:34 am
@camlok,
How soon they forget that they had their asses handed to them in the "The Physics of 911" thread.
camlok

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 08:47 am
@Glennn,
So true, Glennn, so true.

And the truly nutty thing is, given how strongly they all believe, it should be a piece of cake for US government truthers/conspiracy theorists to show the official fable is accurate.
camlok

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 08:54 am
@layman,
You are a perfect example of innate grammar, layman. By your own admission, you know zero about standard English grammar yet you can do alright when you aren't putting on the shuck and jive routine, which is [likely] also you using the innate grammar for a dialect of English.