Military law

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 06:16 pm
I was divorced about a year ago and my lawyer told me the following. I pay child support and I have no problem with that at all. I wouldn't even bring this up had she not told me. She said that because my Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is not taxable then it should not be included in the child support. So when I ask her, why do they do it then? Her response was that the Judges can getaway with it because nobody wants to pay to take it to a Federal Judge and have it over turned. Anybody know anything about this? Thank you!! Mike
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 660 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:25 pm
Re: Military law
pericochit wrote:
I was divorced about a year ago and my lawyer told me the following. I pay child support and I have no problem with that at all. I wouldn't even bring this up had she not told me. She said that because my Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is not taxable then it should not be included in the child support. So when I ask her, why do they do it then? Her response was that the Judges can getaway with it because nobody wants to pay to take it to a Federal Judge and have it over turned. Anybody know anything about this? Thank you!! Mike

First, it doesn't matter whether your BAH is taxable or not. All military compensation (pay, allowances, bonuses) must be included in your total income when determining your child support obligation.

Second, if there were any law that exempted BAH from consideration in a child support determination, your lawyer would be obligated to bring the law to the attention of the judge. A judge is required to follow the laws. Judges are NOT getting away with something they ought not be doing simply because "nobody" wants to pay to challenge their rulings.

Third, you do not appeal a state court judge's child support ruling to a federal judge. You appeal a state court judgment through your state courts of appeals. No federal district court has jurisdiction to review (and affirm or reverse) a state court decision. Once you have exhausted the appeals process in your state, only the United States Supreme Court has the jurisdiction to hear an appeal from your state's highest court -- and then only if a federal question is presented. You must have misunderstood your lawyer -- or else your lawyer has no idea what she is talking about.
0 Replies

pericochit

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:37 pm
Makes perfect sense to me. This was on my mind for a while and when I found this site, I thought mind as well ask. Thank you for the reply. Mike
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:37 pm
See link
A caseworker's guide to CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT AND MILITARY PERSONNEL

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Administration for Children and Families
Office of Child Support Enforcement

In general, all pay and allowances may be considered in setting the support obligation. It may also be appropriate under State law/guidelines to consider other factors. For example, all members receive BAS/Sep Rats or they live in government accommodations and eat in the mess hall for free. This "in kind" compensation may justify an upward adjustment of cash income in setting the support obligation. Thus, the BAH and BAS/Sep Rats amount should be constructively added to the member's pay, as the reasonable value of the "in kind" income, even if (s)he is not receiving these.
0 Replies

pericochit

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:40 pm
Thank you for the website
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:19 pm
Either your lawyer is mis-informed for she misinterpreted the Federal Law. Being non-taxable income has nothing to do with it. The issue with BAH is that it contains 2 components.

The first is the Basic BAH rate that you'd get based soley on your rank no matter where you are assigned.

The 2nd component used to be called "Variable Housing Allowance" and that amount changes based on the cost of living where you are assigned.

Judges are supposed to be informed that they are only supposed to consider the basic BAH rate since the variable rate changes constantly based on local apartment rent and utility costs (which change several times a year in most locations) and your location as you get reassigned.

You need to find out whether they used your entire BAH amount or if they only used the basic rate. If they used the full amount then if you move to a lower cost of living area you'd have to go back to the state court and request that you child support amount be adjusted.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:33 pm
btw, according to 42 U.S.C. ยงยง 659-662 and 5 C.F.R. Part 581, if there is a garnishment order BAH can NOT be garnished. Any garnishment order can only go after base pay and any special duty pay you might be getting.

Maybe that is what your lawyer was referring to?
0 Replies