Ought ethics to stop lawyers from saying things like this?

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 05:48 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Dlowan--

I'm not sure who can judge a military lawyer.

I believe civilian lawyers can be judged by their bar associations and professional societies.

You are aware that many child molesters are convinced that the kids--even toddlers and babes in arms--"led them on" and initiated the sexual contact. Some of these creeps insist (in spite of their lawyers' advice) on blaming the kids in open court.

I had an uncle who did a great deal of pro bono work defending the scum of the earth. He was an honorable man who never stretched the truth to obtain an acquittal. He also practiced in a more ethical time.

I have known lawyers who were fired by their clients (frequently non-paying clients) because the lawyers wouldn't bend the truth to guarantee an acquittal.

Personally, I'm an ethical, intelligent human being and and spurious, dishonest courtroom tactics annoy me.

Unfortunately we live in a time when the end excuses the means. I think lawyers can still be disbarred for unprofessional behavior, but the standards for professional behavior are lower than they used to be.

Noddy - I am not simply asking if there is a way of charging/punishing lawyers for this sort of thing - though I am interested to see if any lawyers post here with an informed opinion about whether or not this is considered to be ethical behaviour for a lawyer - I am also asking people generally if they think - based on their personal ethics - this is ethical behaviour.

What do you think?

PS The lawyer concerned in my anecdote was at a dinner party at my place with (as it happened, it was certainly not deliberate!) the social worker who had discovered and reported the abuse. The dinner party conversation was, as you may imagine, a marathon of discussion of ethical behaviour in defence lawyers!!!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 06:52 pm
It appears (and this is entirley speculation since all we have to go by is the article..) that what this lawyer is attempting to do is seperate the individual happenings and demonstrate that there are "non-torture" equivilents that we see/do each day.

Having people naked isn't torture.
Someone on a tether isn't torture.
Keeping them in a prison isn't torture.
Having people form a human pyramid isn't torture.

Each individually probbaly wouldn't be considered torture. The sum total of all of them together though is a different story. If this lawyer can convice the courts martial panel that each seperate act isn't torture though, he might convice enough panel members that the sum total isn't torture either.

IMO, he's treading a very fine line with this tactic and I doubt it will work in the end.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 07:55 pm
An ethical fineline, Fishin'?

Or a legal argument one?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 08:00 pm
I think his tactic is probably over the fine line for most of us ethically but I don't think it crosses the line for a courtroom defense.

I think he'll lose this case for his client anyway but...

(btw, Noddy mentioned disciplining military lawyers earlier - they all are required to be a member of the Bar Assoc. in at least one state so the Bar Assoc. can revoke their license just like they can for any other lawyer in the US. It's not directly relevant to my other comments but it's a good question that deserves an answer.)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 09:27 pm
I don't see an ethical problem. Maybe I'm missing something? I agree with fishin' that it's a losing argument.

I've been in situations in the past where I've been a public defender, and haven't been able to pick my clients. Criminal defense is one area of the law where you are expected to be competent. You are expected to be available to be selected by the courts to be appointed to represent indigent criminal defendants, if so selected by the criminal court. This rarely happens anymore, since there are plenty of criminal defense attorneys who are on the list to be appointed by the court. But if you are appointed to represent a defendant, you are expected to provide your client with zealous advocacy in his defense.

However, I do not believe I would have been able to represent the child molester who instructed me to present the defense that the child "initiated" the sexual conduct. That, for me, would have clearly crossed the line.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 09:39 pm
I have followed this with little interest because I cannot believe that anyone has combined lawyers and ethics into the same thread....that's why I'm befuddled....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 09:43 pm
I know that's a condition you struggle with constantly. Good luck with that.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 09:46 pm
Tico..... if I were from Kansas...I'd just stand in the corner and observe.....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 09:48 pm
Actually, BPB, I hate to coin the phrase, but som eof my best friends are lawyers.

And any number of them would not mount such a defence as either of the ones I have mentioned here, come hell or high water.

They WOULD defend both of the defendants mentioned here - but would do so within an ethical framework.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 09:49 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
I don't see an ethical problem. Maybe I'm missing something? I agree with fishin' that it's a losing argument.

I've been in situations in the past where I've been a public defender, and haven't been able to pick my clients. Criminal defense is one area of the law where you are expected to be competent. You are expected to be available to be selected by the courts to be appointed to represent indigent criminal defendants, if so selected by the criminal court. This rarely happens anymore, since there are plenty of criminal defense attorneys who are on the list to be appointed by the court. But if you are appointed to represent a defendant, you are expected to provide your client with zealous advocacy in his defense.

However, I do not believe I would have been able to represent the child molester who instructed me to present the defense that the child "initiated" the sexual conduct. That, for me, would have clearly crossed the line.

Very interesting.

Would your personal ethics give ou a problem withthe "cheerleading" defence?

Can you delineate for me how one crosses the line,and one stays within it in your view?

Er - I am assuming that the child molester one crossed your professional ethics boundary.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 09:52 pm
ms buns honey it was a crime of opportunity....I myself have several friends who are attorneys and they are great people one of them is now a judge and I know for a fact he agonizes over making the right decisions...I was just having my little joke....please forgive me....as Tico the Tin Man delights in saying, I am constantly befuddled in the company of such illustrious folks.....say I wonder how many years of high school you need in the heartland to get one o them lawyerin degrees?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 10:01 pm
Why is this argument so surprising? Rush Limbaugh compared the torture at Abu Ghraib to a fraternity hazing ritual:
    "Exactly. Exactly my point! This is no different than what happens at the Skull and Bones initiation and we're going to ruin people's lives over it and we're going to hamper our military effort, and then we are going to really hammer them because they had a good time. You know, these people are being fired at every day. I'm talking about people having a good time, these people, you ever heard of emotional release? You [ever] heard of need to blow some steam off?"
Similarly, Donald Rumsfeld compared forcing inmates to stand for long periods of time to his own habit of standing at his desk:
    Rumsfeld also approved placing detainees in "stress positions," such as standing for up to 4 hours, though he apparently found this approach unimpressive. Rumsfeld, who works at a stand-up desk, scrawled on the memo, "I stand for 8-10 hours a day. Why is standing limited to four hours?
Source.

So, in other words, something that could be torture but that looks like an everyday activity must be more like that everyday activity than torture. It stands to reason, then, that stacking people into a human pyramid looks like fun, so it must be fun.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 10:04 pm
Lol - I am sensitive about blanket attacks on professions - cos a lot of my friends are politicians too!!!!!!

And, I sort of think the blanket stuff debases the level of debate and expectation about important things.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 10:09 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Why is this argument so surprising? Rush Limbaugh compared the torture at Abu Ghraib to a fraternity hazing ritual:
    "Exactly. Exactly my point! This is no different than what happens at the Skull and Bones initiation and we're going to ruin people's lives over it and we're going to hamper our military effort, and then we are going to really hammer them because they had a good time. You know, these people are being fired at every day. I'm talking about people having a good time, these people, you ever heard of emotional release? You [ever] heard of need to blow some steam off?"
Similarly, Donald Rumsfeld compared forcing inmates to stand for long periods of time to his own habit of standing at his desk:
    Rumsfeld also approved placing detainees in "stress positions," such as standing for up to 4 hours, though he apparently found this approach unimpressive. Rumsfeld, who works at a stand-up desk, scrawled on the memo, "I stand for 8-10 hours a day. Why is standing limited to four hours?
Source.

So, in other words, something that could be torture but that looks like an everyday activity must be more like that everyday activity than torture. It stands to reason, then, that stacking people into a human pyramid looks like fun, so it must be fun.

Hmmm - good question.

I guess what is surprising to me is that it is being used apparently as a serious defence tactic in a court of law.

But quite why, especially given my response to BPB, I should expect more of lawyers than politicians is interesting.

Actually, dammit, I DON'T!!!

I think the politician's statements you describe above are grossly unethical as well as stupid and disgusting.

However, to get off a sort of tu quoque, whether you find the defence surprising or not, Joe - do you think it personally and professionally ethical?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 10:10 pm
me and tico are just fussy with each other...years ago when I was visiting the heartland he tried to touch my ass at a tractor pull and I rebuffed him...he's been huffy ever since....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 10:18 pm
dlowan wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Very interesting.

Would your personal ethics give ou a problem withthe "cheerleading" defence?

Can you delineate for me how one crosses the line,and one stays within it in your view?

Er - I am assuming that the child molester one crossed your professional ethics boundary.

Personal ethics would not stop me from mounting a variation of the "cheerleading" defense, although I do not believe I would have drawn a direct parallel to cheerleaders. The intent of the argument is obviously, as has been stated, to minimize his client's behavior. Nothing wrong with that per se.

The child molester one crossed my personal ethics boundary.

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
....as Tico the Tin Man delights in saying, I am constantly befuddled in the company of such illustrious folks.....say I wonder how many years of high school you need in the heartland to get one o them lawyerin degrees?

BPB, you are the first to proffer an explanation for your befuddlement. It has been noted in the past, but I have never ascribed it to your being intimidated by those around you, until you pointed it out.

And why must I constantly remind you .... you touched my ass first.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 10:42 pm
why tico I can't believe you haven't noticed my low self esteem before...behind this false sense of bravado, as I have said before...is a small frightened child....dlowan please hold me....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 10:50 pm
The comparison to cheerleaders is a crime against really elementary logic.

A simple difference that makes the situations inequitable is whether or not the individuals have a choice.

e.g.

Some people may willingly decide to have sex and this is an ordinary and non-criminal act, that doesn't mean that the actions of a rapist are equally benign.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 10:51 pm
Right, Craven, and that's why this is a losing argument.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 11:14 pm
Oh - I KNOW 'tis a loser (unlike the child molester one, which often gets wings - but usually not at two) - I am just interested in the ethics.

And I am aware that I haven't really said why I think it is a violation of professional ethics - partly cos I am not sure if it is - though I think it ought to be - kind of along the lines of not telling clear lies - and upholding the dignity and seriousness of the law - ie I think that argument so outrageously stupid and blatantly illogical - as well as offensive - that I think it ought not to be proffered in a serious setting.

For me there is a subscript of not further deliberately traumatising victims - though the problem is, of course, that they are ALLEGED victims in a criminal trial - so that probably does not fly. BUT - we have the photos of the torture and degradation, we know it happened - I think it is pretty out there to be alleging that it was harmless fun, in effect.

Kind of a little what it was like for that 11 year old to have someone try to get her to admit that she incited her own disgusting and especially sadistic abuse.

Aargh - I am over emotional about this, I guess.

I just know so many lawyers who would not stoop to that.
0 Replies