Yahoo Desktop Search Beta Download is released

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 12:10 am
http://desktop.yahoo.com/

I have been testing all the desktop search offerings out there, from Lookout to MSN and Google's big releases.

Today Yahoo released their beta and within minutes of downloading it it is looking like my favorite desktop application so far.

This is just a heads up, if I have time I'll review and compare all the desktop applications I have used.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,135 • Replies: 15
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 12:22 am
So, is it going to do what the old Magellen program was supposed to do?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 12:29 am
I'm not familiar with that software but consider desktop search a search engine for your files (e.g. emails etc).
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 12:33 am
Sounds useful. That was Magellans claim, but I haven't seen it touted for quite a while. I'll keep an eye on progress. Thanks.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 12:43 am
well I might take a peek I recently put on Picasa by google, maybe Y can replace that?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:04 am
roger,

Give it a try. I have tried them all without any issues and because of how fast the Yahoo app indexes it's the most painless.

Desktop search is the big deal these days and will be much more so in the future and you will start wondering how you lived without it.

Husker,

Picassa is not the same type of software, so your question is like asking if a toaster can replace your fridge.

My answer is that it really depends on what the hell you plan to do with the toaster.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:31 am
downloading!!!!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:33 am
Ah. Now we're getting somewhere. Setting updates to see if it works for dlowan.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 04:08 am
It works - lol!!!!!

PS: What is wrong with this picture?

Answer: Roger waiting for feed-back from self-proclaimed - and proud - computer Luddite.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 07:52 am
I've used Google Desktop Search (not a big fan) and MSN Desktop search (better)... On to try out Yahoo's...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 08:05 am
Google Desktop sounds very interesting, but I have not downloaded it. I had read somewhere, that it may open some holes for hackers to exploit. Anybody know any more about this?

http://seclab.cs.rice.edu/
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:14 pm
That page you linked to explains the situation pretty well, Phoenix. It includes this...
Quote:
We made Google aware of the issue in late November. They have redesigned the embedding mechanism to prevent our attack and are now distributing a version that is not vulnerable. The Google Desktop application has an auto-update feature, and Google is rolling the updates.

I've been using Yahoo's Desktop Search today....oh my God it's fantastic....blows MSN Desktop & Google Desktop searches out of the water, IMO. I always hated Google's forcing you to use a browser to search & their tiny results previews, & MSN doesn't rank things very well & is a bit slow (compared to the others, anyway). But Yahoo Desktop Search is incredibly powerful, lightning fast, has a great interface, & offers much more control than the others. B-e-a-utiful. One thing I noticed right away is that Outlook doesn't have to be open for it to index your email, which is a nice change from the others.

Of course, Yahoo did start out with an already complete, popular & award-winning application (X1, which I've been interested in for about a year now but never tried because it was a commercial product), while Google & MSN, as far as I know anyway, mostly wrote theirs from the ground up.

I'm not familar with other similar products like Copernic and Ask Jeeves Desktop Search beta...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:37 pm
Cool. It works for Deb, it'll work for me. Have to try it at home for a few days before downloading to the box at work.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 02:29 pm
roger wrote:
Cool. It works for Deb, it'll work for me. Have to try it at home for a few days before downloading to the box at work.

Lol - ah, a canary down the mine thing - if there's a dumb mistake waiting to be made.....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 04:22 pm
well. . . .
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 09:40 pm
The one thing I have disliked about it so far is that if you set it to run on startup it slows down startup considerably (on three different boxes I tested on).

Thing is, it's not necessary to start it on windows start up. You need it in the system tray to index etc but don't need the app to load in a window on startup.
0 Replies