computer overlays images

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 09:36 am
There is a single website I visit that overlays images, as if two transparent sheets are piled together. The site owner and about a dozen other people tell me it's my computer; nothing like that happens for them. What could be the cause?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,154 • Replies: 10
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 02:55 pm
Sounds like it has to do with the browser you're usin', edgar. If other folks aren't experiencin' the problem, that sorta narrows it down to somethin' on your end. What browser and version do you run - and what website is givin' ya the trouble?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 03:11 pm
I got a w2646 emachine
intel celeron 2.6GHz
256 MB DDr
40GB hard drive

Wait. I get the site info.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 03:12 pm
http://rieserbooks.homestead.com/rieserbooks.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 03:15 pm
The home page is fine. It's the pages describing the books that do it. It's not so much an inconvenience as a mystery.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 03:46 pm
Sorry if I wasn't clear, edgar. What I'm after is the info on your browser. Are you usin' Internet Explorer, MSN, Netscape, Firefox, Panther, Opera, AOL's own browser, Neoplanet, or what ... and what version (typically, click "Help" in the browser's toolbar, then select "About" - that should give you the info I want)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 04:01 pm
Internet Explorer
version: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.04083-2158
cipher strength: 128-bit
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 04:14 pm
Cool, that's what I was after. Odd, though - usin' the same browser, I don't seem to be havin' any trouble with the website. Its a little wonky with a couple other browsers, but current IE, which you have, does it fine at this end. Lemme poke around some and see if I can figure somethin' out. Seems mebbe like a configuration thing - a Stylesheet problem perhaps, or somethin' to do with frames, but I don't do website design, so I'm sorta hazy here. This is more up CdK or Monger's line, I think. One or the other's almost bound to stumble across this thread soon, I imagine.

It may take me a while but I'll get back to ya if nobody else does.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 04:18 pm
I had my brother go there and he saw no problem. A friend went there and told me his computer corldn't navigate the site at first, then froze up. I think the guy tinkers with his pc too much, putting in so much protection the computer doesn't want anything to get in.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 10:03 pm
Nothin' concrete yet, edgar - but a thought; You might wanna Update to the latest Java Virtual Machine, then disable Microsoft Virtual Machine. From the IE toolbar, select Tools > Internet Options > Advanced, scroll down to "Microsoft VM" and clear any checkmarks that might be there. Look just above that, and you oughtta see "Java (Sun)" - make sure there's a checkmark in the box (which, if you've updated Java, should be labled "Use Java 2 v1.4.2_06 for <applet> [requires restart]" )
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 10:11 pm
I use java web start.
0 Replies