The Purpose of Life

val

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 05:29 am
Well, Frank, we know something: we know we have purposes in our lives. We have intentions, projects, we deal with problems, we deal with other people. We are not zombies.
Why try do speculate about purposes external to us? We have already our own purposes, the goals we try to reach day after day. To me that is enough.
0 Replies

graffiti

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 06:37 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
We don't even know if there is a purpose to life...so any speculation about what the purpose of life is...is twice removed from reality.

There are things we do not know...and may not be able to know.

Just be accepting of that.

To wildly guess...and then announce to the world "This is what I believe...."...

...is not investingating and questioning the unknown.

It is simply wild guessing....and nothing more.

Shocked

I thought we are all able2know.

:wink:

However, I agree that it is simply wild guessing; that we just don't know if there is a purpose at all.
0 Replies

heimdall

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 01:40 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
We don't even know if there is a purpose to life...so any speculation about what the purpose of life is...is twice removed from reality.

Hi Frank,

People only speculate about things they don't know. If you know, you don't have to speculate. You don't really mean to say that speculation is always wrong, do you?

And what do you mean by "twice removed from reality"?

Heimdall
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 01:57 pm
heimdall wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Hi Frank,

People only speculate about things they don't know.

If they speculate...they are speculating on things they do not know.

We agree.

Quote:
If you know, you don't have to speculate.

Absolutely.

We agree.

Quote:
You don't really mean to say that speculation is always wrong, do you?

Not only do I NOT mean to say it...I didn't say it.

Not really sure why you are asking this question.

Quote:

All indications are that we do not know if there is a God. To speculate that there is...is once removed from reality. (The reality is that we do not know!)

If we then speculate on what the God (that we are speculating exists) is like...we are twice removed from reality. (The reality is that we do no know if a God exists.)
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 01:57 pm
the purpose of life is the same as is the purpose for all matter in the universe, to evolve through causal relationships into increasingly complex aggregates, a process we call evolution.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 02:00 pm
Centroles wrote:
the purpose of life is the same as is the purpose for all matter in the universe, to evolve through causal relationships into increasingly complex aggregates, a process we call evolution.

And you know that for a certainty???
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 04:16 pm
I noticed you were arguing about purpose. I haven't read the entire thread, so if I'm recycling it is unintentionally.

The way I see it we do not wonder if there is a purpose to life. We see purpose everywhere. In the spring, when everything blooms. In the fall, when the ducks fly south.

I do not think the question is "Is there a purpose". The question is rather: "Where does this purpose that we see everywhere originate?". I think what bugs the bugged is that there is seemingly a purpose, but we, humans, are left out of the loop. We are just as ignorant as the gorilla when it comes to this, and that can be hard to swallow for some.

You might argue that there is no purpose, and that everything just happens according to oportunity, totally at random, but that is just denial, because something does exist, and this enables other things to exist. I cannot say that gravity exists so that I should be able to walk on the ground. That is not gravity's purpose. It's an effect, but this effect enables other effects to take place. Each new incident defines a new "rule", and suddenly there are advanced creatures in the midst of this, totally reliant on these "rules" (Gravity, physics in general and so on), in order to continue. This evolution has ultimately created the question of purpose, so to argue over this becomes like arguing over the chicken and the egg.
0 Replies

heimdall

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 12:44 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
heimdall wrote:

Quote:

All indications are that we do not know if there is a God. To speculate that there is...is once removed from reality. (The reality is that we do not know!)

If we then speculate on what the God (that we are speculating exists) is like...we are twice removed from reality. (The reality is that we do no know if a God exists.)

Frank,

I don't see where God comes into this. I don't think I said anything about God.

Nor do I see what's wrong with speculating about the purpose of Life as the aggregate of all living organisms. Speculations are made about the purposes of other aggregate organisms all the time, whether it is Russia wanting a warm water port, Israel wanting to live in peace, etc. Humans are also aggregate organisms, aggregates of single-celled organisms. We speculate on the purposes of humans, too. It seems normal, useful, and not at all removed from reality.

We agree on speculation. I thought there was an implication there that there wasn't.

Heimdall
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 02:28 pm
shunammite wrote:
But elderly people...something in them is nearly used up

Telomeres, a short section at the end of each strand of DNA that shrinks each time the DNA replicates until it reaches the hayflick limit and can no longer divide.

Life has no purpose. It is an accident that has happened to maintain itself. It will continue to exist for as long as it can, then it will cease. Yet I, for one, will miss it when it's gone.
0 Replies