Poetry/Food quote please

Tarah

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 07:36 am
I've written two books that explain how to write poetry and also why to write poetry. They both use food and cooking as analogies for poetry and I'm looking for a quote to put at the beginning of the second book.

For the first book, I've got the quote by Francis Bacon "Some books are to be tasted; others swallowed; and some to be chewed and digested"

Could anyone come up with a quote? Ideally relating to food/poetry/books.

Writing the book was a doddle compared with finding this quote! Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,168 • Replies: 20
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 07:40 am
"The humble chickpea puts pooetry in motion." You don't have to use that. Laughing
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:01 am
No, cavfancier. I definitely won't use that ...... it'll put the rest of the book to shame! :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:20 am
Hmmmm - just a thought - Tom Jones begins with fielding making a long analogy/metaphor about reading the book as being like a meal - as I recall, it is rather splendid - and might well have some useful quotes???

I am also rather thinking that, in his little prologues to each chapter, that he may use more food metaphors.

Worth a dig.

If you do not have your own copy, I suggest Project Gutenberg to access it online.

Here you go: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/6593

And here the page where the introduction, or "Bill of fare" begins:

http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/readfile?fk_files=8801&pageno=18
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 08:22 am
But seriously, I did find this:

"Enchant, stay beautiful and graceful, but do this, eat well. Bring the same consideration to the preparation of your food as you devote to your appearance. Let your dinner be a poem, like your dress."

"Letters to Emily"
Charles Pierre Monselet
French journalist and author.
(1825-1888)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 09:58 am
cav:- Oh Oh?

On the literature channel eh?

My first love.(Leaving out the carnal stuff I mean.)

Ever get to Sir Henry Rider Haggard?

spendius.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 10:10 am
spendius wrote:
cav:- Oh Oh?

On the literature channel eh?

My first love.(Leaving out the carnal stuff I mean.)

Ever get to Sir Henry Rider Haggard?

spendius.

Oh, do you mean She who came out of King Solomon's Mines? Literature channel? I think not. I read the books as a child. It led me to the stereotypical fascination with National Geographic.
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 07:48 am
Thanks for the ideas.

I'm soooo tempted to use this one by Noel Coward:

We're just waiting for the moment his poetic licence expires. Twisted Evil

I've started drafting the third book which is also about writing poetry. For that, I've found:

Today, the main difference between poetry and prose is that, dreadful though it is, poetry doesn't go on for nearly so long.

That's by Richard Ingram and if I decide to use it, I know I'll have to get his permission.

I've already got permission from Adrian Mitchell to use:

Most people ignore most poetry because most poetry ignores most people
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 08:32 am
"Today, the main difference between poetry and prose is that, dreadful though it is, poetry doesn't go on for nearly so long."

Thank heaven for that. Edmund Spenser could have learned something with that quote. I really like the Mitchell quote. I do believe that it could be applied equally to prose as well. Gravity's Rainbow and Finnegan's Wake come to mind. So, what's the focus of the 3rd book?
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 12:01 pm
I only thought about writing a third book yesterday but probably about where we get our inspiration from.

I'm actually still working on a strap line for the second book. To my surprise, it's not as easy as I thought it would be - and no, CV, that's not the strap line! Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 12:31 pm
Hmm, keep me informed on how this develops. As a chef who also writes, this is fascinating.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:47 am
cav:-

No.She came out of She.She was the She who "must be obeyed".What came out of KSM was a whole load of laughs.Ayesha is the one though.
All three are well worth re-reading with years under your belt.A kid would never twig all the jokes.
Henry Miller loved all of them.I can't imagine you not liking him.

spendius.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:52 am
spendius wrote:

No.She came out of She.She was the She who "must be obeyed".What came out of KSM was a whole load of laughs.Ayesha is the one though.
All three are well worth re-reading with years under your belt.A kid would never twig all the jokes.
Henry Miller loved all of them.I can't imagine you not liking him.

spendius.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I loved all the books. I did reread them in university.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 08:54 am
I can see why Miller loved them as well. Screw Miller's hallowed works, "Under The Roofs of Paris" is one of the funniest books I've ever read.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 09:03 am

Have you done the Opus Pistorum test?

spendius.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 09:17 am
spendius wrote:

Have you done the Opus Pistorum test?

spendius.

I'm not sure what 'test' you refer to. My copy of the book was in paperback, with the new title "Under The Roofs of Paris". I know that "Opus Pistorum" was the original title, and that the book was written strictly for coin. What is this test? I'm curious.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 09:20 am
Book marking.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 09:26 am

There's even a rumour that the man didn't write it.I think he started it.

It's a test of the structural strength of the rib cage.

Surely all books are written for coin with the exception of De L'Amour which was written for love.

spendius.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 10:20 am
Spendius is about to repair to his luxurious residence where peace and quiet awaits him.At least until the big match starts.After which the pub where his brain can indulge in a siesta.

Goodnight all.
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 05:01 pm
0 Replies