Should I allow my daughter to see her grandfather?

SDgregs

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2017 01:12 pm
I am very conflicted. I have a horrible past with my father. When I was a kid, my mom had to send me to live with him for a little bit because she was struggling financially ( was 7). During my time with him and his wife, I was abused and psychologically tormented. One time, I was falling asleep in the backseat of my dad's car and while my step mom was moving a box from the backseat, she purposely hit me with it, her and my dad argued. Another example of my experience is when I was being disciplined and I was crying for my mom, my dad lifted me up by the scruff of my shirt up against a wall and started yelling at me and telling me to stop crying for her. I once heard him talking to my mom and he said "You need to make her love me." Over the years I have kept contact with my and when I was 12 he said that he had been so harsh because I lied a lot and reminded him of my mother. He would mostly blame my mother (she was supposed to abort me but, she lied and told my dad she did and had me instead). Also, he denies that they ever dated but, according to my mother they had. I even ran away three times, at the age of 8; the last time I literally jumped off of a balcony (it was like 10 feet). The police was involved the last time and they took pictures of the bruises left from a spanking. They [the police] threatened him but, unfortunately because of my mothers situation, I had to stay. After that, things were not as bad and I got to go back to my mom. This is a very condensed version of my accounts.

Flash forward: Over the years my father and I tried to talk about what happened and he even apologized for the way I was treated and the abuse however, there is still a lack of responsibility being taken as he likes to blame my mother a lot for things. I've been married since I was 18, I am 26 now. I did not tell my father we got married, but he found out from a family member. He has never tried to get to know my husband. When I got pregnant, I decided that I would not be selfish and keep my daughter from him. I updated him during my entire pregnancy and invited him, along with other family members from that side to the baby shower. I told him that I wanted her to know him, even if I never would be close with him. But... things went sour when he (seemingly out of the blue) advised me not to give my daughter candy. His exact words were: "You should consider not giving her candy". I was offended because it was unsolicited advice that came out of nowhere. Another example is when his cousin died and instead of telling me about her as a person (or how I'm related to her even) he proceeded to tell me that her and her father had a terrible relationship also and that he would tell me about it sometime. I felt offended once again, especially because I felt that it was disrespectful to the cousin who had died and that it was unfair that that would be the first thing he tells me about her given she is now deceased. Also, when they came to see my daughter after she was born, there was a major issue. My daughter was born with subluxation of the knees (look it up) so her legs did not look normal, obviously; my half-sister (13 at the time) proceeded to call her friend, and laugh about my baby's legs and describe to the friend how they looked. She also tried to take a picture of my baby's legs but I saw my stepmom stop her. No one ever said anything to me. No one ever apologized. I know she's just a kid, but I do believe she should have been reprimanded. I don't hold her personally responsible at this point, it's up to her parents to have her make it right. Now, I am pondering the idea of severing ties completely. There is way more to the overall story but, I am restraining myself so I don't end up writing a novel. I don't want my little girl to blame me later on in life but, these people make me feel uncomfortable. My dad pretty much negates most things I say. I even opened up to him about my depression and he basically said I need to be more positive?? Mind you, I was in a partial hospitalization program when I was pregnant for depression and suicidal ideations. I just don't know. Sorry if this is all over the place. I need advice because I honestly don't know what to do and the people around me have very little to say about the matter. I don't want to be selfish and I don't my baby to be angry with me but, I don't think they deserve her because they don't respect me or know me so how dare they think they are entitled to see her? I am not trying to play the victim here but, I went through a lot with my dad so I know that it could be me that is the problem.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 626 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2017 02:07 pm
@SDgregs,
Since you made the effort to include your father during your pregnancy, it would be good of you to have a visit with your daughter, his granddaughter. Keep it supervised, be there the entire time. If it becomes uncomfortable, you and your daughter can leave. Tell him privately, either through a phone call or text, email or old fashion letter, what upset you. Indicate that you find it to be unacceptable. Take his response as a guide on whether to have future visits.

You can always tell your daughter about her grandfather and try to focus on the good things. When she is older, if she expresses a wish to see him, or wonders why she hasn't (or hasn't seen him often), tell her the truth. Let her know that you and your father don't get along too well.

People can choose their friends, you don't get that luxury with family. However, you can limit contact and visits with family if they upset you.
SDgregs

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2017 03:56 pm
@Sturgis,
Thanks for responding. I just got a card in the mail from him and an outfit for my daughter. This makes me feel really bad because he's trying so hard but it does not feel genuine. I have a hard time trusting them because of the things they did to me as a kid. That said, I also think that letting him see her is the right thing, I really don't want to take that away from her. I just need to make it more about her and not about me.
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2017 04:50 pm
People should be allowed to change. If you feel that your father can now offer to be at is least a neutral influence on your daughter, (as opposed to negative) give him a chance to connect with you and your daughter. But don't feel you are obligated.

Do you have ANY elderly adults you get aling with? If so, bring them closet to you all. Surround yourself with positive people. God knows you don't need any more BS from others.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 08:06 pm
@SDgregs,
SDgregs wrote:
I just need to make it more about her and not about me.

is there a neutral adult who could supervise your father while he spends an hour with your daughter somewhere near your home (or in your home, but without you in the same room)?

It doesn't sound like your stepmother or her child are people you want around your child under any circumstance. I'd find a way to have someone contact your father with a suggestion like that.

If it works out, maybe your father seeing your daughter for an hour every other month would be ok. Your husband could sit in on those visits.

Sometimes friends are better than family '- don't stress too much about having a relationship with people who have not been kind to you in the past. If it doesn't work out with your father, focus on good friends of all generations.
SDgregs

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 08:15 pm
@PUNKEY,
I agree with you 100%. I know that he's not the same person I knew then. My parents are young, my mom is 45, dad 44. My grandmother on mom's side adores my daughter. I do have positive people but, there's something in me that goes back to my dad. I think it's because there are things between us that are unresolved. I'm looking for answers and I can't accept that I may never get them. We've had really positive conversations in the past but, when I feel like I'm being judged or he's crosses what I feel is a boundary for me I pull away.
0 Replies

SDgregs

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 08:28 pm
@ehBeth,
My husband could definitely sit in on visits even thought he might complain. My dad doesn't really acknowledge him unless I say something about it. I think that it's a privilege for someone to be called family. It weighs on me because they always want me to come there (my dad lives like 2 hours away).

I don't understand why it's up to me now to go there when they never really came here over the years and when they did.. they always have something to say about my city. They're wealthy people and sometimes they can be snobs about the restaurants and stores etc.

I just don't want my daughter to blame me. There is a part of me that doesn't think they deserve her. If he would just leave me out of it and accept that I am only offering for him to be close with my daughter than we could get on. But, he says little things and I can't handle it. So now, I only deal with my grandma (his mom) I send picutres and updates and she can share with everyone else. But...dad still keeps reaching out instead of giving me space.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 08:33 pm
@SDgregs,
Sounds like the grandmother is your best ally/connection there.

Maybe sometime when you're forwarding a photo you can invite her and your dad to come to your community and spend an hour with your daughter.

Seriously. Time limit it and limit who is invited. Grandmother, father. One hour. That's it.

If necessary, set it up with a counsellor in attendance. Let your dad know it's a condition of spending time with your daughter - and he can pay for a counsellor that you select.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 08:34 pm
@SDgregs,
SDgregs wrote:
It weighs on me because they always want me to come there (my dad lives like 2 hours away).

just no

__

they want to see your daughter

they can do the travelling

__

if your dad pushes too hard, you can always block him and let all of the communication go through your grandmother (warn her if you are going to block him )
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 08:37 pm
@SDgregs,
SDgregs wrote:
I just don't want my daughter to blame me.

well, here's a thing

there were adults who didn't treat my mother with respect. I hated them as a result. I didn't blame her for them being jerks. I do slightly fault her and my father for not dealing with their jerkiness when I was a kid - but I did try very hard to hide it from them as I knew it would hurt their feelings.

Love your daughter. Do what you think is healthiest for her.

If you think your dad will be a good grandfather, let him do the work of being a good grandfather. Part of that includes treating you and your husband with respect.
SDgregs

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2017 09:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Same. I wish my parents would have come together for my sake. Instead I had to hear them bad mouth each other and point the finger.

I defend my mom more because she had to do it alone. She was young and scared and my dad bailed. Granted, she lied to everyone about getting an abortion and then wham... all of sudden she has this baby. I can understand why my dad would be mad. But, the moment he decided to be in my life he should have let the resentment go.

Sometimes I wish she had never told me who he was. I mean, if he didn't want me, why tell him? Both of them were being spiteful and unfortunately, I paid the price. I worry so much about whether or not I am being a good mother because I never want my girl to feel the way I've felt.

Thanks, I too think that he needs to respect us. Our daughter is an extension of us so when he is hurtful and disrespectful that affects me which in turn, affects her. I don't think he sees it that way though. They all just think I'm being negative and that they have to walk on eggshells to please me like I'm some little girl who just wants to get her way. My uncle (his brother) told me that I'm still young and don't know much and my dad knows more than me. I'm nearly 30... I'm no child but, I think they still see me that way.

I just want them to respect my boundaries and be accountable.

Sorry this was a long response. I don't really have people to talk to. Hubby doesn't get it. His parents have been married almost over 25 years. Other people smile and nod but they don't really want to hear it. So, I took to the forums to see if anyone else can help me put things into perspective. Thanks again.

0 Replies