Team America World Police

Spastic

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 06:34 pm
I saw it about a week ago, and thought it was one of the more hillarious films I'd seen in a while, I thought it was great that they not only made fun of conservatives, but they made fun of liberals also, what's you guy's opinion on it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 723 • Replies: 6
No top replies

revengeofthecow

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 08:48 pm
Awesomenessitude
Yes, that movie was golden. And a refreshing change, too. The film industry is so partisan these days; we conservatives are eternally depicted as evil, plotting misers who want to quash those beneath them. This movie finally started picking on liberals. Of course, it picked on EVERYTHING. And the broader one's knowlege of politics, the funnier the jokes became. For instance, the computer system, INTELLIGENCE, was actually spelled I.N.T.E.L.L.I.G.E.N.C.E. a rip-off on the controversial P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act. Both are abbreviations or some word like that that I can't think of and don't feel like thinking of.
The movie had crude humor, but was relevant to the American way of life. In the first scene, when Team America was stopping terrorists from blowing up Paris, France, one Teamster (?) shot at one of the terrorists. It nailed the Eiffel Tower, which fell and smashed the Louvre. Teamster's response: "Dammit! Missed him!" Classic. And the songs, people, the songs... this is a movie that will go down in history as... um... a funny movie, if nothing else, but a surprisingly relevant depiction of what America is actually like, both the good points and the bad. Kind of like Monty Python's Flying Circus.
Crowning point of the movie was, of course, the "Dicks, Pussies, and Assholes" speech. I want to download that monologue.
Best movie of the year, hands down. Of course, that isn't too much of an acheivement when put up against "The Aviator" in which Jude Law ate a pea, and "National Treasure", which was the epitome of the 'see it once, it's OK, but see it again and there's no excitement in it' type of movie.
I just wish that Michael Moore really would blow himself up.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 09:12 pm
Here's what I thought!!!

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40634&start=0&
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 09:16 pm
I have yet to see the film. I want to!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 09:17 pm
But sadly that thread just turned into one of the liberals/conservatives suck threads.

I wish yours a better fate.

I loved the visible threads on the marionettes thing - and the way the faces were sophisticated in expression - but oh so fatuous.

It was also funny the way the carnage became more and more real as the film progressed.
0 Replies

revengeofthecow

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 07:18 pm
Little trivia thing here. The whole puppet thing was actually not a new idea. The British adventure kid's show "Thunderbirds" used the same types of puppets. In fact, they look remarkably similar. Though I don't think "Thunderbirds"'s choice of filming was tongue-in-cheek as TAWP's obviously was.
Beautiful moment: when Gary's riding his motorcycle, the road is so OBVIOUSLY bigger than him. And the camera zooms in and-- in what goes down in my mind as one of those rare, beautiful, milk-through-your-nose-wet-your-pants-funny kind of humor, knocks him off his vehicle.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 01:33 am
Yep - got the Thunderbirds thing.....
0 Replies