What happens to Louis C. K?

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2017 04:34 pm
I have always loved Louis C. K. I still do.

Louis C. K. was added this week to the ever growing list of famous men accused of sexual harassment. He was accused of inviting a couple of young female comedians to his hotel room for a nightcap. They accepted. He then asked them if he could masturbate in front of them. Then he took out his penis. The women left shocked and disgusted. End of story. After this a few more women said that he masturbated in front of them.

A couple of things...

The list of sexual offenses being alleged is pretty broad. They range from rape in the legal definition of the word and obvious abuse of power, to unwanted advances. This offense is gross and quite odd, but this is less troubling than the stories of coercion or abuse of power. If someone invites me to their hotel room for a late night drink, a sexual advance is not out of the question. And, these victims were never trapped... they left. Troubling yes... but not threatening.

Louis C. K. is (in my mind at least) a comedic genius. His odd takes on life, and his constant skirting of boundaries are what make him a great comedian. It seems likely that this behavior in his personal life is related to what makes him so good at his job. This doesn't excuse it, but it seems like there is a risk of eliminating artistry if we eliminate odd behavior. There is a fine line here.... we have to draw the line somewhere, but there is a balance between making everyone comport to perfectly acceptable behavior, and losing the oddness that makes great art.

Louis C. K., even in this scandal, has gone again and done something completely unexpected and somewhat odd. He owned up to it. He admitted it. He denies nothing. He is explaining nothing. He is taking responsibility for everything. He apologized for abusing his fame. And he for nothing from his victims or the society at large.

I am really curious about what happens to Louis C. K.. Does he disappear forever? Does he come back with his same oddball way of looking at things with a brand new perspective? Does society accept his artistry again... since he alone has owned up to what he is being accused of?

I would pay a lot of money to see his new movie. I wonder if they are ever going to release it.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 491 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Builder

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2017 07:29 pm
If you're inferring that there's a link between comedic genius and sexuality, I'd say that's a very long bow to be drawing.

"Our" collective understanding of what is acceptable in terms of sexuality, has been manufactured by an institution of fairly recent traditions.

Not saying that having a host masturbate in front of me, wouldn't cause me to up and leave.

Just pointing out that most of those who would be aghast at the thought of this, more often than not, are harboring skeletons of their own in the closet.
centrox

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2017 03:22 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
Just pointing out that most of those who would be aghast at the thought of this, more often than not, are harboring skeletons of their own in the closet.

Well, I am fairly aghast, and I can assure you that there aren't any skeletons jerking off in my closet.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2017 05:07 am
Quote:
most of those who would be aghast at the thought of this, more often than not, are harboring skeletons of their own in the closet.

What does this even mean?
Builder

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2017 08:40 pm
@centrox,
Oh, would you like a list of the hypocrites who make a profession out of pretense and hypocrisy? Where would I start? The Vatican, perhaps? The White house? The BBC? The royal family?

Are you aware that the UK's inquest into organised paedophilia had to be canned, because nobody without a link to a suspect could be found?
centrox

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2017 07:10 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Oh, would you like a list of the hypocrites who make a profession out of pretense and hypocrisy? Where would I start? The Vatican, perhaps? The White house? The BBC? The royal family?

Are you aware that the UK's inquest into organised paedophilia had to be canned, because nobody without a link to a suspect could be found?

Right, I see what you mean. I think we can agree on that. But that doesn't mean we should just throw up our hands and give up.
Builder

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2017 06:18 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
But that doesn't mean we should just throw up our hands and give up.

I started a thread about the pizzagate saga, and was basically told that if it does, in fact, go right to the top of the tree, then what can we do about it?

Australia's head catholic is currently on trial for historic paedophilia and sexual abuse charges, but the westminster system our legal eagles operate under, was set up by paedophiles, and actively protects them.

0 Replies