field works in geology

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 02:18 am
I am thinking about pursuing an undergraduate degree on geology. Going through the course syllaby of some universities, I found this 'field work' which concerns me, as I don't have a good physique and have some health conditions like asthma.

Now I have some questions-
1. How hard the field work is?
2. Do field works vary between universities?
3. Are there any alternatives to field work, or is it mandatory?

farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 04:32 am
@yoshitake,
Ive taught and worked in geology. You can advise your departmental reps at the Uni about your health.
The hard part of field activity i carrying equipment and walking a bit. Most geologists that I work with dont look for expending huge amounts of nergy just getting to a site. We are among the first folks to embrace All Terrain Vehicles, Jeeps or Rovers, and horses.

Just keep an ample supply oof your inhalers an dont go chep. Ive had field classes where we had to pack in a few kilometers and Ive had asthmatic students who ran out of their inhalants and we hadda schlep them back to a nearest med service. (JUst cause the damned kid didnt have enough sense to take more med than needed)>
Rule of field work is that its always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. That goes for all kinds of equipment, even rope.

Most all colleges still require the kids to endure a field camp within which they get to experience a daily grind in which the 10% of our work, generates 90% of what we do over the off season.

I dont know of any field programs that cannot be handled by a kid with a moderate asthma . There will be walking and Im sure over the next 4 years you can improve your endurance.
Ive had students come into a program who were initially pretty weak and at the end of their college undergrad time became very fit.

Remember this
" the size ofRock specimens collected in the field is always inversely proportional to the distance from the car".

Dont stress. 90% f your time will be in a lab and behind a laptop.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 04:36 am
@yoshitake,
Also, field work does vary from U to U, Field work at a college like U Hawaii, will always concentrate on volcanic processes and marine sediments, while a U in an urban environment will have its beginning field work stress rock processes and depend on more local features

There are alternatives to doing a lot of field work but thats pretty much reserved for graduate school.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 12:31 pm
@yoshitake,
Yoshi hope ol' Man has helped you. After some 40 yrs as a rockhound I know you'll luvvit
yoshitake

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2017 10:58 am
@farmerman,
Thanks a lot sir for your valuable answer. I found it pretty much helpful. I'm looking forward for a future in Geology now.
And please forgive me for the late reply. I was in some ups and downs these past few days.
Thanks again.
0 Replies

yoshitake

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2017 10:59 am
@dalehileman,
I am looking forward to it Smile
dalehileman

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2017 12:40 pm
@yoshitake,
Yoshi, thanks, 'v'added you to my 'Good Guys' listin' !!

After 40-50 yrs collectin', our 2.5 acres is covered with some of the most beautiful rocks imaginable. Thanks incidentally for ur postin' reminding me I had one in my pocket to give my Better Half Enerval. She takes 'em to her Garden Club where mem's place 'em in their pots !! Some, the smaller ones, they give to their kids to take to school. You'll jus' lovvit
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2017 10:49 am
@yoshitake,
Quote:
I am looking forward to it
Youll find that field work is usually little to do with schlepping rocks, and more to do with data and mapping.

Most "rock samples" for a professional geologist are gathered with a core and /or soil sampler. Soil samples get bagged and cores get compiled by a licensed geotech driller (wxcept in some countries where they dont license them by expeerience nd tyrqining.

SO all the heavy lifting is done by your driller or backhoe operator.

In Uni, and grad school you will do your own schlepping and Id recommend that you train your eye to choose "representative" samples, not those that are the most eye catching.
What separates rock collectors from geologists is that we geologists are paid only for making good decisions nd analyses.(Trust me , making a very good return from resource identification and mapping is not difficult) as long as we think like scientists and business people and not hobbyists

0 Replies