Fun with Google Chrome

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 07:50 am
I used Chrome for a number of years, but recently have been using Edge. Over the past few days I tried searching a topic with Bing, until it became obvious it did not want me to get what I was seeking. I tried Google and Duck Duck Go with the same result. I want a search engine that will let me make up my own mind. About six months ago, I tried to Google a certain alternative health product. It kept changing the search terms about six times before it finally gave me the results I requested.

Last night I deleted the junk that clogs a PC. When I tried to sign back in to Gmail, it kept rejecting my password. I asked it to send a reset email to another account. After I got the email I used it to try to reset my account number. Google appeared to acknowledge that the information was correct, but claimed I had not proven who I am. I moved on to youtube. When I signed in, it at first accepted my password then rejected it. After that, google switched to dialoging me in Spanish. When I finally quit playing these games, Google quit blocking me on their sites.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 10:36 am
I thought they quit playing games, but it was a temporary glitch that let me in. When I tried to log in to youtube, they rejected my password and then asked me to answer this security question: ¿Cuál es su principal número de pasajero de vuelo más frecuente? Which is a request for my frequent flyer number, which I have never had and have never used as a security question. This illustrates how badly they want me to restore Chrome to my PC.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 10:56 am
@edgarblythe,
are you sure you don't have a virus on the puter? the question seems to be an effort to get private info from you as part of a phishing scam
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 10:59 am
Everything else is perfectly normal. But I will get back to you after I check it out.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 11:05 am
I reinstated Chrome and now it works perfectly. I am totally logged in on all of their pages.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 11:18 am
@edgarblythe,
Hahaha, man, it's not Google. They don't give a **** whether you use Chrome or not.

Instead, this has all the hallmarks of someone who has been hacked. You are describing exactly what happens when your account is stolen by someone else. This is potentially a big problem for you if you do any sort of financial work on your computer. You really need to:

- Change all your passwords on every financially-related website you use, or any government site. Immediately. Like, do this today, I'm not joking. Do this from a DIFFERENT computer, preferably one that's ran by someone who understands online security.
- Check your credit cards and bank accounts for fraud. Today.
- Check your credit report ASAP.
- Once all that is done, you should reformat your computer completely and start fresh.

I see that you wrote that you're logged in successfully, which is great, but it doesn't remove the risk that we're talking about here. At the very least you should change your passwords immediately. Good luck!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 02:05 pm
After I get my personal files to a safe place I will reformat the computer. I did reset my passwords. Most of my important business online is done on my wife's laptop. None of my email addresses has any saved contacts and haven't for years.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 02:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
Good luck, EB. I don't mean that sarcastically, just that from time to time I get all scared when computer stuff I don't understand starts happening.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 03:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's great news! I personally also sequester my financial business into a computer that's used solely for that purpose and is locked down as tight as I can get it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies