Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 10:36 am
@edgarblythe,
That's pretty uncivil language

Cycloptichorn
izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 10:43 am
@Ragman,
Waves back. Did you have a good time overall?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 10:44 am
@Cycloptichorn,
That's an uncivil person.
maporsche

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 10:53 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

That's an uncivil person.

I am not.
What I am, is right...and I think you know it.

But nevermind...Republicans and Democrats are the exactly the same...no difference.

Talk about making excuses.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 11:01 am
@edgarblythe,
No, he's not. He simply says things you don't like, and that makes you upset so you lash out. That's not even remotely similar to him being 'uncivil'

He also happens to be correct in this case

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 11:14 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
You think that guy could have waltzed into a church and taken down 30 people with a knife?

Most murders in America are solitary affairs that can easily be carried out with a knife or baseball bat.

No murder is easier to commit with a knife than a gun.

Quote:
When talking about our high murder rates, knives are a completely appropriate weapon for a comparison to guns.

No, they're not. You only think this because you've twisted logic to whatever it needs to be to support your obsession.

Tell ya what. If you and I were to go at it, and I had a gun (and I know how to use 'em) and you had a knife... feel good about your chances? Or maybe, someone's mugging you and you don't have any weapon on you. Would you rather be up against a knife or a gun? Right.

Quote:
If you want to talk specifically about mass killings though, how many people did Tim McVey shoot?

Haha, you should think a lot more carefully before you suggest things.

The purpose of laws is a deterrent. Laws are not intended to completely prevent actions that we don't want to occur from taking place, but merely to make them more difficult to undertake in order to lower the incidence rate to something acceptable. Explosives (such as in the McVeigh example) are highly regulated and indeed banned for the most part in this country because our government and citizens recognize that they are quite lethal to large groups of people and have no real legitimate citizen use.

Can people still make bombs? Sure, you can't stop physics. But it's hard to do so. People fail at doing so all the time and blow themselves up, or their bomb doesn't work well at all and nobody is really hurt. We also have teams, large ones, of people who work for law enforcement whose job is to look for patterns and stop people from making bombs. They do a pretty good job of it overall.

What do you think is going to happen to guns in this country, if we continue to see evidence that they are... quite lethal, and enable people to commit mass murder, quickly? On top of that, as with explosives, there is no legitimate civilian use case for these faux-assualt weapons. There is no situation in which you can describe a legitimate need for a citizen to have the sort of firepower the Vegas or Texas shooter had.

You are making the EXACT CASE that will be made for banning these weapons. And it's going to happen eventually, because there's no real counter-argument for having them be legal, other than the fact that you are insecure and guns make you feel better about life.

People like myself will NEVER stop pushing for most of these types of guns to be outlawed, and eventually we're going to win. Hope you give yours up peacefully, but we'll get them either way here in a few years.

Quote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
you should take a hard look at yourself if this is the level of argument you're reduced to in order to defend your obsession with guns.

I'm quite pleased with myself. Honest, factual, polite (mostly).... What's not to like?

You're insecure and a bit insane. I don't really like that in people personally.

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 11:37 am
@Cycloptichorn,
He carries his quarrel with me from thread to thread. I don't get the stalking element.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 11:39 am
This stuff happens when Democrats are in control. It's the reason Democrats have to change, not just get elected "because we are more enlightened than the Republicans."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 11:40 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

He carries his quarrel with me from thread to thread. I don't get the stalking element.

It's appropriate for him to do so.

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 11:42 am
@Cycloptichorn,
It's appropriate for me to respond any way I choose, then.
maporsche

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 11:44 am
@edgarblythe,
I just don't understand how you can say:

Quote:
I see no reason innocents are slaughtered by the thousands and not enough people care to do anything about it, other than make excuses.

When you have the ability to help fix the problem, yet are unwilling to do what it would take. Oh, and you have your excuses too...but I guess a $15 minimum wage versus a $12 one was too important to you.

The lack of self-reflection just astounds me.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 11:53 am
@izzythepush,
Time of my life in EU (first time...but the frosting on the cake is meeting good people like yourself and your family.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 01:20 pm
I will only play as nice as others here. And if you want to ban me go right ahead.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 01:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't have the ability to do that, and wouldn't in any case.

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 02:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
In some threads, half of the people who respond to lash insult her and sometimes address the substance of her post and sometimes not. A lot of this is subjective.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 09:01 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Like Oralloy she repeats herself over and over again with no real understanding of what's going on.

I have a complete understanding what is going on. That's why you can't point out any facts that I am wrong about.

izzythepush wrote:
the gun lobby is taken seriously because it has the republican party in its pocket.

We own more Democrats than you think.

izzythepush wrote:
what about Oralloy? He lives in a fantasy world,

Nope. I live in the real world. That's why you can't point out any facts that I am wrong about.

izzythepush wrote:
insults and denigrates the relatives and victims of murder,

If they want to use their dead kids as a weapon to try to violate my rights, they deserve such condemnation.

izzythepush wrote:
he is a racist who fantasises about killing babies and nuking friendly powers.

Liar.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2017 09:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
No murder is easier to commit with a knife than a gun.

I'm not sure that is universal. But I'll accept it as generally true.

But that doesn't matter. It is easier to murder with a gun, but it is easy enough with a knife that anyone who is bent on murder will be able to carry it out if all they have is a knife.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
No, they're not.

The fact that people who are murdered with knives are just as dead as people who are murdered with guns means that knives are a appropriate comparison with guns.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
You only think this because you've twisted logic to whatever it needs to be to support your obsession.

No logic needs to be twisted in order to note the reality that people who are murdered with knives are just as dead as people who are murdered with guns.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Tell ya what. If you and I were to go at it, and I had a gun (and I know how to use 'em) and you had a knife... feel good about your chances?

Clearly it is a bad idea to attack someone with a knife if they are able to defend themselves with a gun. But in a scenario where guns are removed from society (which is how we got to the point of talking about knife murders to begin with) people wouldn't have guns to defend themselves.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Or maybe, someone's mugging you and you don't have any weapon on you. Would you rather be up against a knife or a gun? Right.

Bad situation either way. I'm not sure it matters.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Haha, you should think a lot more carefully before you suggest things.

I posted an argument that will withstand any counterargument. That should be sufficient.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
The purpose of laws is a deterrent. Laws are not intended to completely prevent actions that we don't want to occur from taking place, but merely to make them more difficult to undertake in order to lower the incidence rate to something acceptable. Explosives (such as in the McVeigh example) are highly regulated and indeed banned for the most part in this country because our government and citizens recognize that they are quite lethal to large groups of people and have no real legitimate citizen use.

Can people still make bombs? Sure, you can't stop physics. But it's hard to do so.

Not that hard to make a pipe bomb or a pressure cooker bomb.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
People fail at doing so all the time and blow themselves up, or their bomb doesn't work well at all and nobody is really hurt.

True. But a lot of those stupid errors (assuming they don't blow themselves up) could be remedied by basic trial and error. If people who are bent on massacre were forced to turn to bombings, more bombers would test their bombs before deploying them against the public.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
What do you think is going to happen to guns in this country, if we continue to see evidence that they are... quite lethal, and enable people to commit mass murder, quickly?

The main thing that is going to happen is we'll pass the SHARE Act. Otherwise, not much else is going to happen.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
On top of that, as with explosives, there is no legitimate civilian use case for these faux-assualt weapons.

That is incorrect. Civilians use them for hunting, self-defense, and competitive sport.

It is unclear whether you are referring to all semi-auto weapons with detachable magazines, or if you are specifically referring to rifles with a pistol grip. Same answer either way though.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
There is no situation in which you can describe a legitimate need for a citizen to have the sort of firepower the Vegas or Texas shooter had.

Well that's the thing with rights. We don't have to "need" anything. If there is no legitimate reason to ban or restrict something, we have the right to have it and it doesn't matter whether anyone thinks we need it.

That's a longstanding rule when dealing with fundamental Constitutional rights. If there is no legitimate reason for a restriction on a right, then any such restriction is unconstitutional. Note:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strict_scrutiny

Cycloptichorn wrote:
You are making the EXACT CASE that will be made for banning these weapons.

Well setting aside the fact that the description of restrictions on bombs came from you and not me, if people try to make such a case they will fail because their claims will be factually untrue.

I'm not entirely clear what you mean by "these weapons", if you are referring to only to rifles with a pistol grip, or if you mean all semi-autos with detachable magazines, but the argument will fail either way.

If someone tries to claim that adding a pistol grip to a rifle makes it more dangerous, their argument will fail because it is untrue.

If someone tries to claim that all semi-autos with detachable magazines are a menace to society, their argument will fail because it is untrue.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
And it's going to happen eventually, because there's no real counter-argument for having them be legal,

There is a very strong counterargument. The fact that there is no good reason for such a ban makes such a ban unconstitutional.

There is no good reason for banning pistol grips on rifles.

There is no good reason for banning all semi-autos with detachable magazines.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
People like myself will NEVER stop pushing for most of these types of guns to be outlawed, and eventually we're going to win.

Just like that knight in Monty Python that had all of his arms and legs chopped off?

You guys have already destroyed liberalism as a political force in America through your previous efforts to violate the Constitution. You have no more ability to try again.

If you did have the ability to try again, you'd just do even more damage to liberalism. But having already achieved 100% destruction, it's all pretty much over.

Because of the 2013 gun control debacle, the Republicans are going to hold the White House for the next 20 years.

And even after 20 years of Republican rule, the Democrats won't return to power until they purge their liberals and nominate a nice moderate who will compromise with the right.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Hope you give yours up peacefully, but we'll get them either way here in a few years.

Your dreams of violating the Constitution are chilling. I'm glad liberalism has destroyed itself so it is no longer a threat to the Constitution.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
You're insecure and a bit insane.

Nonsense.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2017 04:58 am
At last a gun violence story that's not tragic.

Quote:
An Egyptian bridegroom has been seriously injured after he was hit by shotgun pellets fired by a guest celebrating his wedding.
The groom suffered serious injuries to his testicles, thigh and hand and is being treated in hospital.

Osman al-Alsaied, 28, was enjoying his last night being single when the weapon was accidentally fired at him rather than into the air.
Police say the gun was negligently fired by a 26-year-old man.
They say he fled soon after the incident but was later arrested and is now being questioned.

Reports of the incident have provoked a strong reaction on social media, with many calling for the tradition of firing gunshots in public celebration to be banned.

"If you did this while expressing your happiness, what would you have done if you were angry or upset?" one Twitter-user asked.
There was a similar incident at a wedding in Egypt last month, Stepfeed reported.

In this case the guest needed surgery and hospital treatment after a stray bullet hit his thigh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-41925943
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2017 06:32 pm
Kevlar (IIIA) backpack inserts for schoolchildren:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/education/article182405026.html
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2017 10:35 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Tell ya what. If you and I were to go at it, and I had a gun (and I know how to use 'em) and you had a knife... feel good about your chances?

Clearly it is a bad idea to attack someone with a knife if they are able to defend themselves with a gun. But in a scenario where guns are removed from society (which is how we got to the point of talking about knife murders to begin with) people wouldn't have guns to defend themselves.

What's the distance? If less than 20', I'd take a skilled knife fighter over a skilled gun fighter. Wisest thing the gun fighter would do is run.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/21/2024 at 08:18:49