Third orangutan species discovered

TomTomBinks

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2017 07:47 am
@farmerman,
Thanks for the chart. I didn't realize the Gibbons were out of the club. (I've always enjoyed watching their gymnastics routines) I'd better get to reading!
farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2017 11:21 am
@TomTomBinks,
I am not a monkey guy(I only play one on tv). So remember, anything on Wikipedia is wholly suspect.
I do know that Sivapithecus a "last" common ancestor of all the great apes, left Gibbons out of the mix. However, it appears that the gibbons just fit on a separate off line. The orang line diverges off the Sivapithecus line shortly thereafter so orangs re NOT on the final 3 line and ,technically, dont bunch in with either chimps bonobos, gorillas , and
people from West Virginia.
TomTomBinks

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2017 06:58 pm
@farmerman,
Laughing
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2017 10:57 am
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:

OK, so do we now say there are seven species of ape? Or still five?
Gibbon
Orangutan
Gorilla
Chimpanzee
Human
Or are we counted here as a great ape? Or is it five hominoids; four apes and one Human?
Does the Bonobo count as a separate species?
I guess I'm confused. It's been many years since anthropology class!

Humans aren't apes
http://johnhawks.net/weblog/topics/phylogeny/taxonomy/humans-arent-apes-2012.html
farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2017 03:35 pm
@Pamela Rosa,
the neat thing about many branches of science, no matter what seems "settled" Therell always be a coupla respected folks who want to argue against the contract of settlement.

Hawks doesnt like "Hominin" and wants to "split" the great ape classification into further and further smaller clades.

Just remember there is really no right or wrong in classification unless there is strong evidence that disrupts the "Great Ape" clade descendants of the common ancestor of the great apes Sivepithecus during the Miocene(about 20 my ago).However the split from bonobo or chimps (Im still not convinced about the clarity of these lines and whether both humans AND bonobos split from chimps about 6 my

YAWN
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2017 03:49 pm
@Pamela Rosa,
Pam, let's have the rest of the story...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2017 04:06 pm
@Pamela Rosa,
Pamela Rosa wrote:
As far as I know I was the second person on the Internet who regarded Blacks as a distinct species.

oh

the source of internet racism +1

so handy to know

Rolling Eyes
Pamela Rosa

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2017 12:42 am
@ehBeth,
Your comment is so funny.
LOL

“There is so much diversity in Africans that there is no such thing as an African race.”
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/10/new-gene-variants-reveal-evolution-human-skin-color
0 Replies