I DID love Huckabees - and Kinsey!

dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 02:40 am
I had an odd sort of film day yesterday - went off to see I Love (or "heart" or whatever - do papers HAVE to be so precious, and fart around about that?)) Huckabees - and, after we had dinner, I decided to scamper back and see Kinsey.

Really enjoyed them both!

Huckabees is one of those engaging, funny, untidy films, with ideas and images going everywhere (a bit like "Being John Malkovich", which I adored) - I mean, the idea of an existential Detective Agency is delicious, isn't it? (Great fun to play with. Like Philosophy 101 on cocaine.) And having duelling existential agencies - well....

I thought the performances were great - Jason Schwartzman and JudeLaw doing coming undone brilliantly (well, I guess Schwartzman's character was ALWAYS undone!)

Anyhoo - I wondered if anyone else had seen it and wanted to discuss it??

"We're not IN infinity - we're in the suburbs."

Then Kinsey.

I also really enjoyed this film - probably most on the level of sparking my interest in the life and research - and the genesis and effect of it - though I I enjoyed the film itself very much.

I had forgotten the enormous impact of Kinsey and his team's work - how freeing it was for so many - how it challenged dominant ideas of what is natural (though the fight re things like homosexuality is STILL, ridiculously, being fought today).

It was fascinating to get a glimpse into Kinsey and his own attitudes and life - I came away buzzing with curiosity and the desire to re get to know him and his wife (who emerged in the film as a wonderfully clever and sophisticated woman).

Liam Neeson was very moving as the driven researcher - reacting to the terrible "moral" oppression of his background.

Anyway - I am not writing a critique - but seeing if anyone else wants to discuss this film, also?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,018 • Replies: 4
No top replies

panzade

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:56 am
I'm not ignoring you but I haven't see these flicks...thanks for the review.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:57 am
Appreciate the reviews, dlowan. "Kinsey" may lure me into the cineplex but "Huckabees" may wait until DVD.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:00 pm
I can't wait to see Huckabees! I had seen the promos for it and wasn't too interested, then my friend informed me that it was very Zen-based and touched on a lot of Buddhist philosophies, yet still showing the humorous side of us folk. So I am definitely interested now, I have yet to look up info on it's release date, but being one to stray from theatres, I most likely won't see it until it's out on VHS/DVD Smile

Kinsey is also on my to-see list, just not as high up as Huckabees Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 02:32 pm
Oh - thanks for passing by - sigh. No seers?
0 Replies