Life's meaning/purpose

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:01 pm
How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on.

The question is not whether we will die, but how we will live. Joan Borysenko

It seems to me that boredom is an incurable disease, and often leads to wasting time and is caused by a lack of motivation to do anything. You don't even have the motivation to rid yourself of boredom itself, rather hopeless I suppose. It seems symptoms of boredom first begin with symptoms of insanity (which clearly as you can see in the entry below has shown its relentless authority upon me) then those symptoms turn into tedious ennui. Which then leads you to babble on about prosaic incessant gobbledygook (this is a word).

On a different note I was reading this book by Orson Scott Card called Xenocide, and is part of the Ender Saga. Anyways it's a good book and has some good points. it talks a lot about purpose, "life is how God gives purpose to the universe", but further more What is life's purpose? What is the meaning of life? These are questions philosophers have been asking for years, trying to find out the reason for our existence. Now to understand life's purpose you must first understand that life's purpose and life's meaning are two different things.

The "meaning" usually implies what others see of something where "purpose" is based on the reason we are here in existence in the first place. A good example "Look at most any of the classic books or pieces of art. A lot of them were created to put money on the table(i.e. for the creator to sell) but if you walk into any gallery you'll see lots of people discussing the "meaning" of a artwork and English teachers are renowned for their creative interpretations of what authors "meant" by their stories." So perhaps the meaning of life is an analysis on what we do with our purpose of life. The meaning is nothing more than to satisfy the purpose. You choose the meaning you want to give your life.

Our purpose in life is to live, "Purpose of life is a life of purpose." To live a life for others, for a life pursing our own goals will never be enough, even if we rule the world. For there will always be something more we want. To accomplish a life lived for others, that is much more fulfilling. God also designed us with a purpose in life to serve Him by spreading His news. And it is our choice whether or not we want to follow that purpose. For it seems that although God designed us with that purpose that not always do things happen as we intend. Lets say an engineer designs a stapler but then it is used as a hammer..and thus despite its intedned purpose it has found a new purpose. Purpose does not have to be well crafted or imply purpose for there to be purpose, even if I crafted a hammer and did a horrible job it would still have a purpose. I suppose that's kinda a lame example but I dunno im rambling here bare with me. As for meaning, it can only be external. Meaning is what we place on an object. Even natural objects are inherently meaningless-until we place meaning on it. Life is meaningless inherently, it is only when some being places meaning on life that it takes on meaning.

Although unlike purpose meaning does have to be known to existÂ…although if you cannot define something it doesn't mean it doesn't exist..now im going in circles heh. I suppose meaning in a sense is striving for a perfection beyond our mundane, worldly purpose. "There are many different purposes in this world, many different causes of everything. Just because one cause you believed in turned out to be false, doesn't mean that there aren't other causes that can still be trusted." We must not forget that we are here not merely to exist, but to live.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,843 • Replies: 79
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 07:00 am
Indecisice8 wrote:
Quote:
How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on.

When is water one drop? Is it measured by weight or volume? Shape or size perhaps? If there were no riverbanks around the river, would it all be one drop of water. A drop of water means just that. Water in free fall. It doesn't take into calculation how much water that is dropping...

You can argue meaning until you head falls off, and I don't think you'll reach a constant fact aside from this: Meaning is the justification you seek on the basis of your knowledge. It is closely related to intention. It is something formed on the basis of what you know, and is not nessecarily true. Like my definition of a drop of water above. It is my opinion that this is a correct definition. See? It might be false, but to me this is what "a drop of water" means. Now, there is little doubt about the meaning of traffic signs for example, but also here there is grounds for debate, and we have a lot of cases where these meanings are heavily argued.

Purpose is another thing, I agree. But questions like "what is the purpose" seem to me to be the ramblings of a mind that has fallen off the wagon (and I know what that feels like). Is it that you don't see it that makes you want to ask? For my part, I see purpose everywhere. I just cannot see it's origin, and that fills me with wonder. But is this purpose merely the realization of potential? At this time "purpose" strikes me as something that is driven by itself. A causa sui of sorts. But that is probably because I am missing something.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 07:09 am
By the way, I really like your signature Smile
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 06:56 pm
I am an atheist, as is fairly well known here. Therefore, I do not believe that there is an issue of God's purpose. That being the case, and perhaps even if there is a God, I strongly suspect that each individual's life means exactly what he thinks it does, no more, no less.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 08:17 pm
I think meaning is a basic awareness and appreciation of the universe.

While purpose is what something is for.

Life has meaning, but purpose?

Could the purpose of life be to have meaning?

I can't say of course, but I'd rather not think of life as an object for something, but that in life we pursue true meaning and make it our purpose. Smile
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 08:17 am
Ray, stop it! You're confusing us! Confused Smile
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 12:51 pm
Imagine how confused I am. Laughing
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 03:57 am
No. I don't want to. I'm too confused Confused
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 04:23 pm
Don't be confused about being here, or even not being here, it's all great stuff.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 07:34 am
Mathos, you're not helping... Smile
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 02:40 pm
I was purely attempting to remove the confusion Cyracuz. Sometimes we go through life simply robotic. Then you wonder, once you start wondering you come up with all sorts of issues, brilliant deductions, then reality, which is not necessarily reality at all comes into view. You then wonder if it is really you wondering or is it voices talking to you about things you never really thought of. There...that should clear it up. Laughing
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 04:47 am
Didn't clear up anything, but it helped me greatly to reconcile to my confusion. I think that's safer. Smile

Btw, I have reached the conclusion that a person who goes to see a psychologist is crazy. By definition: If you see a shrink you're nuts. What I mean is that we all have problems and live with them as best we can. Only a fool thinks he can ever solve them. Smile
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 03:09 pm
Hole in one Cyracuz, the fools also degenerate their whole purpose of existence, by placing everything they do, think or say into the hands of others. Who are amusing themselves whilst taking fortunes. Theft by deception is, as I view it
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 06:29 am
I can understand that. But is it theft to take something from someone who doesn't know he has it? In my opinion YES! But to sustain a world where this ignorance may prosper is maybe a few notches worse.

To take away a man's dream and in return give him a box to store it in. The outrage. But I can't go on like this or I'll start breaking things Smile
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 10:03 am
Then you would simply be accused of having a smashing time.
0 Replies

BubbaGumbo

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 11:01 pm
"Btw, I have reached the conclusion that a person who goes to see a psychologist is crazy. By definition: If you see a shrink you're nuts. What I mean is that we all have problems and live with them as best we can. Only a fool thinks he can ever solve them"

I whole heartedly disagree with your assertion that "individuals who see psychologists must be crazy".

I would hardly call someone who feels they can overcome a problem "crazy". I'd call them optimistic (or maybe for some naive Very Happy ).

How is seeing a psychologist to help you with a problem any different than consulting a friend? So anyone who is struggling with an issue and goes to a friend for emotional/psych/physical help instead of internalizing the issue is crazy? Rolling Eyes

Psychologists often have a vast array of knowledge/tools to help individuals cope with their problems. While some self relfection is very beneficial, often times consulting a pyschologist who can put issues in a new light is very beneficial.
0 Replies

omeron

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 11:12 pm
at some moments in life you want to know meaning/purpose. at others you are so occupied that this question escapes your thoughts temporarily, or for a longer period of time. thus this question can be temporaly dismissed, that is, forget about the question becuase it is something only you create and does not exist in reality, since at times it COMPLETELY fades
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 12:00 am
Yeah, I don't think that seeing a psychologist is crazy. If you have a mental disorder, a psychologist might be able to help. However, maybe we should be more supsicious that there might be some psychologists who might be making stuff up to keep the patient booking appointments.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 02:17 am
BubbaGumbo, now you're crazy. Ray too, but I knew that already Smile

omeron wrote:
Quote:
at some moments in life you want to know meaning/purpose. at others you are so occupied that this question escapes your thoughts temporarily, or for a longer period of time. thus this question can be temporaly dismissed, that is, forget about the question becuase it is something only you create and does not exist in reality, since at times it COMPLETELY fades

You can't remember breathing all the time, though I'm pretty sure it happens all the time.
0 Replies

omeron

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 08:00 am
Cyracuz wrote:
BubbaGumbo, now you're crazy. Ray too, but I knew that already Smile

omeron wrote:
Quote:

You can't remember breathing all the time, though I'm pretty sure it happens all the time.

but is breathing significant for your emotional (not physical) well being? no it isn't...
0 Replies