grown up, almost :-p

kenny7

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:00 pm
Hey all here at a2k.com

I'm 16 years old, and live in Texas. I am seeking "emancipation" from my parents.

I got my GED certification a month or so ago, so I'm basically "done" with schooling for now. I make $10.25 an hour and work 40 hours a week, so I am fully capable of supporting myself.
My parents agree that I can do it on my own, and would be willing to give up their rights if possible.
Is it possible for them to do it? Or do I have to go through courts and fight for emancipation. I do not want to fight for myself when my parents are already in agreement that I can do it.
I just need to be considered an adult, so that I can get an apartment, phone, etc. in MY name.

Thanks for any help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 797 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Montana

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:34 pm
I think your main problem would be finding a landlord who would rent an apartment to a 16 year old. Why the rush?
0 Replies

kenny7

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:41 pm
need to live by my own rules...

going to have a room-mate, he can sign on the lease.
just too many problems with having parents responsible for me.
can they just give up rights?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:46 pm
Not unless another adult adopts you. I'm not sure about Texas, but in Massachusetts, you are free to go out on your own when you're 17. You could get in touch with a family lawyer who would tell you the laws in your state. How far are you from being 17?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:56 pm
I almost forgot to welcome you to A2K and wish you a Happy New Year :-D
0 Replies

kenny7

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 09:07 pm
happy new year to you,also.

still 6 months until my 17th birthday.

my uncle may possibly adopt me...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 09:22 pm
Thanks. Would you be living with your uncle?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 09:32 pm
I don't see this as being a big problem for you as long as your parents agree and that your room mate is atleast 18. Since you're only 6 months from being 17, I can't see any legal issues if you stay with an adult. Now if your parents objected to it, that would be a problem.
0 Replies

kenny7

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 10:48 pm
no, not living with my uncle. he'd just assume "responsibility" for me.

I just read that because I have my GED I am not required to live at home anymore, anyway.

Room mate is 18, Male. so no problems would arise there, i don't think. been my best friend since i was a toddler.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 02:43 am
Your uncle could not assume responsibility for you unless you were living with him. As I said before, I don't see a problem unless your parents have a problem with it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 02:58 am
Check out emancipated minors in Texas. A brief skim looks like the courts are the answer, kind of.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 07:55 am
I just read that link Roger and it looks like the 16 year old would already have to be living on their own to apply. As I said before, it seems that there would be no problem if the parents were in agreement.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 01:49 pm
Montana--

I agree with you. If the parents agree to their sixteen-year-old living under his own roof, this is possible.

Of course if the sixteen year old gets into trouble, the parents could find out that he is still their financial responsibility.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 06:37 pm
Exactly!
0 Replies

BabyJeli

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 04:40 am
I know that when I was trying to be emancipated at the age of 16 in Oregon, the court said no. I was 16, had my own place, my own vehicle, and made roughly $1400 a month....but the court still said no. From what I understand, the system is beginning to frown upon "young adults" trying to get out in the world and be adults when by federal law they're still a minor until the age of 18. Don't know about other states, but I know the majority of cases in Oregon and Nevada are shot down.
Hope all works out for you!

Very Happy Laughing Cool :wink:
0 Replies