"The Lord of the Rings: "THE TWO TOWERS"

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 10:29 am
This is all really exciting news. The promise of more is almost overwhelming in this case. Gandalfs return sounds quite rejuvenating. My fingers are crossed, might be seeing this one on Crete.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 11:19 am
The oliphants and the ents appear in the film -- always had trouble imagining what the oliphants looked like so I always imagined them as mastedons. The musical clips online are revealing that this score is the most incredible undertaking in all of film history. The section on the four DVD about the scoring is a high point in the appendix features. Howard Shore probably can't get the Oscar again (I'm wondering if it can be nominatged as "The Two Towers" as it contains a lot of new thematic material with only reference to the major themes of the first).
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 12:19 pm
I have no patience with fantasy, but realize this is
a character-fault.
Fantasy, like Myths, are the only true things.
I like the way each generation takes it for its own.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 12:29 pm
So then, you've read the Old Testament. Laughing
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 10:27 pm
Lightwizard<

I have read several reviews of this current "LOTR." The reviews have been great. One of them, don't remember which one, said the new installment should be among the contenders for the Best Picture Oscar.

jeanbean<

Until reading this thread, I would not have thought you had any "character faults." Exclamation
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 10:57 am
LOTR
WH3,
I only seem perfect...
Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 11:30 am
Golly, WH -- I've only read one real review of someone who's seen the picture. The Time Magazine spread obviously was written by someone who had seen the film but wasn't a critical review other than they said the film was bigger and better than the first.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:52 pm
jeanbean<

You could have fooled me!

Lightwizard<

Perhaps I have been at Booman's holiday punch bowl again and can't link to any review. Were I up to it, I would see if I could find the one published in my local newspaper by Gannett News Service.

Now, back to the holiday cheer . . . Drunk
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 08:58 pm
WH3,
Where did you get that fancy smilie?
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2002 09:04 pm
Drunk

jeanbean<

Click on the phrase "View more Emoticons," and the "drunk" smilie will appear. Have you been to the punch bowl, too?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 11:30 am
Okay, settle down you bunch of drunks. What's in the punch bowl this morning? Bloody Marys?

Well, I finally had my friends from Sweden over to the house last night and we popped in the Extended Version of "The Fellowship of the Rings." The new scenes, special effects and music are so seamlessly injected into this verson that you can't even figure out where or what they are (unless you've seen the theatrical version many, many times as some have).

It's four hours go by like a flash and I did get more character development from the film, especially Boromir and Gimli, the dwarf warrior. It don't know why, but the music, sets, costumes and special effects of Lothlorian towards the end were even more magical than I remembered them. I still miss relishing the more intimate scenes of the book where the sense of time passing is more enthralling but this is still masterful filmmaking and the completed three films I can only predict will be considered masterpieces at least in the film fantasy genre. I've also been through all the addendum extras on the disks and that's worth owning the Extended Version even without the longer film. I now have both versions and if I had some time frame problem with guests over, I would not feel badly showing the theatrical version (especially if they aren't exactly big fans of the book). Tony, who is an American living in Sweden with a Swedish wife (hey, pregnant with quadruplets!) had never seen the film but his wife had. They both were moved by the film. I think Tony is going to be heading back for Sweden and immediately check out when the film will hit Stockholm theaters.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 08:35 pm
Thank you for alerting me to this thread, Wizard. How'd I miss it all this time? Sheesh! I'm one of the few people left who still hasn't acquired a DVD player. Still slogging along with VHS tapes. Now I have to buy the player.

Just eavesdropping for now and taking advantage of all your links.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 08:47 pm
Another still from the film.

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0167261/lotr2_2-47784.jpg
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 09:20 pm
WH3
"navigating to this site, may not be safe"
so sayeth ye olds computer.
Somehow, I'm out of memory!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 10:22 am
You're getting that warning when trying to access emoticons, jeanbean?
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 10:47 am
LW,
No, only when I click on The Drinking Man.
My computer is running "out of memory".
and the don't know where the resouces are going.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 11:20 am
That's weird -- you should post something on the Help link or in General (there's a problem with site thread still there I think).

If you have 32 MB Ram, or less, and have a lot of active programs on your computer (programs running at one time), you may want to consider a Ram management/defrag program like MemTurbo. If you have Norton or McAfee virusscan and their periferal programs, you'll find that they both offer memory management programs, usually from other entities.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 04:04 pm
Deleted because of size of image.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 06:45 pm
Just received the soundtrack of "The Two Towers" and couldn't wait to listen to it (over earphones with all the great visualizations on Windows Media, natch).

This score is even better than FOTR -- very Richard Strauss (there's a solo cello and a Norwegian fiddle!) Recorded again at Abbey Road and the Colloseum at the Watford Town Hall, noted for its marvelous acoustics and all I can say is, WOW! It litterally envelops one in a sound that I can say I've never experienced before. There's more influence also of Sibelius but this is Howard Shore and the originality is even more spell binding. I can see him winnin the Oscar again this year as I can't see how any score could come close.

Some new songs and more elfen language is introduced into Part II and one track that really lifted my imagination was "The White Rider," which is, of course, the accomanyment to Gandalf returning as Gandalf the White after defeating the Balrog. If you don't know the story, Gandalf is even more powerful in his wizadry and this become very important in the course of the story as he must pit his powers again against Saruman.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 09:59 pm
Lightwizard<

Thanks for the beautiful stills from "Two Towers."
0 Replies