NeoPets Riddles (Lenny Conundrums) and Answers Here

edstock

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 04:52 pm
@jjbuttcrack,
I'm thinking they are likely to skip next week also and there won't be a new Lenny until the 6th of January.
0 Replies

Anny

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 05:21 pm
@willzi8,
OMG i had nooo idea! I figured it would be over by now. Sorry players!
0 Replies

wertyiu102

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 07:02 pm
Yeah, it is extended!!! NOOOOOOO
0 Replies

Anny

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 09:48 am
I don't think anyone who's going to try to enter wins something. Especially knowing it only took some of you guys 40 seconds to get the correct answer.
0 Replies

wertyiu102

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 04:16 pm
it took me twenty seconds, but... I forgot about the contest.... *sobs* I was watching a movie when I'm like, "OH MY GOSH!!!!" And then I run full speed to the computer and I have to log in... It would have been faster if I had known my non lagging computer was on... Embarrassed
0 Replies

Kutusita

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 11:42 am
Congratulations! You have guessed correctly in the Lenny Conundrum game (round 337). You have won 828 NP!

Because you were in the first 250 to guess correctly, you also have been awarded a Spardel Plushie, and receive a trophy and the Lenny Conundrum avatar!
--
Really surprised I got top 250 on this one! The plushie is really cute. Smile
0 Replies

edstock

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 12:14 pm
So time to share the answer, now that it has been judged. Looks like we won't have to wait another week.

Like last year, they based the Lenny on the Advent Calendar. Last year, it was the NP amounts. This year, it was the prize items. Each "word" in the puzzle consisted of the initial letters of words in the names (the acronym) of the Advent Calendar prizes for successive days. The first, sixteenth and nineteenth "words" were blanks.

Looking at the "words" that were there, the prizes from the second day were the Shell Hairbow and the Coral Recorder, so the second "word" in the puzzle was SHCR. Similarly for the remaining "words" of the puzzle.

Since the puzzle came out before the 19th, we had to wait until midnight on the 18th/19th to find out the last prizes to use in the puzzle. The prizes were:
1: Snowager Chair and How To Make Your Own Slide - SCHTMYOS
16: Groggy Grog Nogg and Holiday Ships Wheel - GGNHSW
19: Jewel Encrusted Christmas Ornament and Christmas Crystacat - JECOCC

Rearranging these letters into alphabetical order gave: CCCCEGGHHJMNOOSSSTWY, which was the answer to submit.

The NP prize for the Lenny was 828, which means that between 2416 and 2418 people got the correct answer. It appears that submitting in the first 23 seconds after midnight was sufficient to get top 250. I'm not sure how quick you had to be on this one, but I think we can be pretty sure the top 250 was taken within the first minute. This is actually longer than last year, when the top 250 spots went within 20 seconds.

0 Replies

vvktv

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:11 pm
News still hasn't been updated, but in case anyone didn't see, on the Lenny page (which still shows the advent anagram puzzle), the bottom reads:

"Looks like this round has already been judged!
A new Lenny Conundrum will be released Next Wednesday, most likely, so sharpen your pencils and check back then! "
0 Replies

starleogirl09

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 04:38 pm
In this following diagram, each of the three intersecting circles has the same radius, and the center point of each circle is at the intersection of the other two circles. The blue shaded region has an area of exactly 2010 square centimetres.

http://images.neopets.com/games/conundrum/338_drinkachyfi.gif

What is the radius of the circles, in centimetres? Please round your answer to the hundreths of a centimetre, and only submit the number with no other information. For example, if you came up with 20.091231 cm as the radius, you would submit "20.09" as your answer.

0 Replies

Kutusita

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 05:03 pm
Similar to another puzzle, but I put the wrong number of triangles down. Oh well.
0 Replies

edstock

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 05:55 pm
No discussion today?
0 Replies

vvktv

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:00 pm
refer to #334
edstock

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:01 pm
Let's look at boundaries. The area of the shaded portion is 2010 square cm. So the area of the three circles together has to be more than that. So the minimum possible circle area is 2010 / 3 = 670. Using the formula for the area of a circle, PI * r^2, we have r^2 >= 670 / PI or r >= 14.6 cm.
0 Replies

edstock

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:03 pm
@vvktv,
Yes, that provides a good starting point. If we can figure out the area of the football (like in #334), then the total area is 3 times the area of the football minus 2 times the area of the center section.
edstock

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:13 pm
After an hour of calculation, I've submitted my answer. I found the area of the football in terms of the radius, then found the area of the center section in terms of the radius. I then took three times the area of the football minus two times the area of the center section to get the shaded area. Solved for the radius and plugged in the area given.

The football area is really similar to LC 334. The center area uses the same principle of triangles and wedges of the circle.

My digit sum is 20.
vvktv

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:14 pm
@edstock,
looking at #334, the solution could be found by dividing the football area in half, and then looked at it in perspective of 1 circle, showing a sector area of 1/6 the circle, plus a bit extra of area as defined by the curved line and chord of r. (hope that made sense) So then the football shape was 2 *the area of equilateral triange of side = radius of circle +4* (sector area of 60 deg - the equilateral triangle)

if you use this same approach to this problem, you see there are 4 equilateral triangles with sides "r" and 6 of the curvy shapes (area= sector area of 60 deg - equilateral triangle area)

tha'ts my approach anyway. then set that huge area equation equal to 2010, and solve for r. i haven't found an actual number yet though
0 Replies

krazykatana

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 06:32 pm
What the **** is that football you guys are talking about ? anyways, pretty simple, looks like another gold for me.
lennyfan

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 07:04 pm
@krazykatana,
The football (American style) is the intersection between two circles. Elongated ball with somewhat pointed end. More similar to a rugby ball than a soccer ball.
0 Replies

wertyiu102

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 08:41 pm
Ohh, I see it!!! But the football is halfway overlapping.. Hmm, I was never good at math, even though I'm in the advanced math class...
0 Replies

wertyiu102

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2009 08:46 pm
Hey, you guys? The blue shaded region has an area of exactly 2010 square centimetres. For example, if you came up with 20.091231 cm as the radius, you would submit "20.09" as your answer. Haha, TNT is so funny.