NeoPets Riddles (Lenny Conundrums) and Answers Here

Jen Aside

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 03:31 pm
Reminder: The current Lenny says, "THIS WEEKS PUZZLE - ends in a few weeks, as Conundrum Lenny is busy taking care of this Grarrl egg he found." So don't sit up too late waiting for it this week Wink

Newcomers: There is a part at the top and bottom of THIS PAGE that says "Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3 ..." If you still need the answer, click the part that says Previous and do some reading!

If you STILL need help, you just aren't going to win the LC. Sorry.
0 Replies

MariaWB

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 03:41 pm
I'll admit that when I first found this page, I just looked for the answer and did no work.

But very quickly, I just couldn't help putting in my two cents in the discussion as to how to solve the problems. And I remember the pride I felt the first time I was one of the leading powers in solving a word puzzle =)

I SUCK at math, but I still do the math displayed here - I always do it myself before I submit my answer, so I know I understand it, and it has actually made me a bit better at math.

So even though I don't find the formula, I learn it through all you clever people! =)

And it is fun to sit her with all of you, trying to work it out. I'd wish they'd do a work puzzle soon, though, it has been a very long time since the puzzle was something I could do.
0 Replies

lennyishard

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 04:34 pm
I'm confused, what's the answer???
0 Replies

thinkerrr

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 12:21 am
what the heck
isnt the answer 1,000,000 cubic centimetres?? I dunno but if 28% is 280,000 cubic centimetres then the whole thing oughtta be 1m Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused
0 Replies

friendsforever

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 04:51 am
Quote:
Reminder: The current Lenny says, "THIS WEEKS PUZZLE - ends in a few weeks, as Conundrum Lenny is busy taking care of this Grarrl egg he found." So don't sit up too late waiting for it this week Wink

Newcomers: There is a part at the top and bottom of THIS PAGE that says "Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3 ..." If you still need the answer, click the part that says Previous and do some reading!

If you STILL need help, you just aren't going to win the LC. Sorry.

Just had to repost this....because it has been answered several times.
0 Replies

stapel

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 10:29 am
stapel, in the worked solution on the 'Previous' page, wrote:
...we can proceed directly to finding the volume....

. . . . .V = [ 6 720 000 ] / [ 19.408 896 ]

Hint: Plug the above into your calculator. Then round the value to the nearest whole number...
edstock wrote:
Aw, you are too kind. I would have quit at least 3 lines earlier.
stapel, on a 'Previous' page, wrote:
Doing so would seem...to presume perhaps too much with respect to diligence and/or intelligence. ...check back...and discover how many times that week's solution has been posted [clearly]...and how many times the reply has been, "So what's the answer?..."

I'm currently awaiting complaints that [the solution reposted above] is, once again, "too hard". And just wait until this discussion laps over onto a new "page". Hitting that "previous" link...is apparently just way too confusing and complex!
lennyishard wrote:
I'm confused, what's the answer???
thinkerrr wrote:
isnt the answer 1,000,000 cubic centimetres?? I dunno....

See what I meant? Rolling Eyes

Eliz.
0 Replies

Blissful

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 04:25 pm
Hi guys.

This is kind of embarassing because the majority of you seem to understand the concept of this weeks Lenny Conundrum, but I'm completely baffled! I've had a look at the formula's you have posted (Thanks for posting them, by the way - I'm very grateful that you took the time of day to put them up), and I completely agree that we should have to do some work, it would only be fair, otherwise we wouldn't have earned the trophy, and well, you know... :wink: I was wondering if someone could tell me how to calculate the Formula? And what calculator I should use? Do I use a numerical calculator that I have at home or a specific online calculator? Thanks!

~ Blissful ~
0 Replies

Twopack Shaker

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 06:48 pm
I'm sorry to inform you all who have trusted this website, but Stapel's answer is completely wrong. That's all I can say.
0 Replies

stapel

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 07:57 pm
Twopack Shaker wrote:
...Stapel's answer is completely wrong. That's all I can say.

And you determined this... how? Please be complete.

Blissful wrote:
I was wondering if someone could tell me how to calculate the Formula? And what calculator I should use?

At least two fully-worked solutions have been provided. Which solution did you choose to use, and at what point did you stop understanding the working of the formulas? Please be specific.

As for the calculator to use, I can't imagine what sort of special calculator would be needed to divide one number by another. Surely any simple four-operation "checkbook" calculator would do...? Please clarify which operation (punching in the numbers, pushing the "divide" key, or hitting "equals" or "ENTER") is causing you difficulty.

Thank you.

Eliz.
0 Replies

iimpeachyz

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 07:59 pm
Quote:

isnt the answer 1,000,000 cubic centimetres?? I dunno but if 28% is 280,000 cubic centimetres then the whole thing oughtta be 1m

It said that it was 72% below the water line..

And to the person who said stapel is wrong.. Do YOU know the correct answer?
0 Replies

Twopack Shaker

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 07:26 pm
Basically, this is a classic physics problem. Very easy. AND, physics was meant to be done with vector calculus. Anyways,, to make this problem easy, we use spherical coordinates. Here is a link to Wolfram, which will help you with understanding the spherical coordinate system (if you don't know already that is): http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html

So, the area element in spherical coordinates is given by dA = (r^2)*sin(phi)*dphi*dtheta. SO, what we do is integrate this area element to find the surface area of the submerged portion. What we know that theta ranges from 0 to 2pi, just because of how the coordinate system is set up. But we DON'T know what phi ranges to, so we leave it as a variable (let's call it x).

A = Double Integral((R^2)*sin(phi)*dphi*dtheta, 0<theta<2pi, 0<phi<x)

=

2pi(R^2)[1-cos(x)]

But, this equals 72 percent of the total surface area, so (0.72)4pi(R^2)

Which, solving for [1-cos(x)], gives us [1-cos(x)] = 1.44

We didn't explicitly solve for x because it is more efficient to leave it this way, as you will see later.

Now we know what the ranges are for theta and phi, but we still need to find the radius. So now, we have to solve for the volume.

The volume element in spherical coordinates is dV = (r^2)*sin(phi)*dphi*dtheta*dr. So we integrate over the ranges of the variables. (0<theta<2pi, 0<phi<x, 0<r<R)(note: x is known, but R is unknown)

V = Triple Integral((r^2)*sin(phi)*dphi*dtheta, 0<theta<2pi, 0<phi<x, 0<r<R) = (2/3)pi[1-cos(x)](R^3) = (2.88/3)pi(R^3) = 280000 cm^3

Which, after solving for R and plugging into the equation for the total volume, gives you the final answer:

V = (4/3)pi(R^3) = 388 888.889 = 388889 cm^3
0 Replies

MrRob26

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 01:09 am
Thanx!!!
I don't know much about the lenny's conundrum, but I love all forms of math! And really appreciate you all taking the time to try and help out others...Which can sometimes be aggravating....I just wanted to say thanks for all of your time and effort!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

markr

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 04:31 am
Twopack Shaker wrote:
Basically, this is a classic physics problem. Very easy. AND, physics was meant to be done with vector calculus. Anyways,, to make this problem easy, we use spherical coordinates. Here is a link to Wolfram, which will help you with understanding the spherical coordinate system (if you don't know already that is): http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html

So, the area element in spherical coordinates is given by dA = (r^2)*sin(phi)*dphi*dtheta. SO, what we do is integrate this area element to find the surface area of the submerged portion. What we know that theta ranges from 0 to 2pi, just because of how the coordinate system is set up. But we DON'T know what phi ranges to, so we leave it as a variable (let's call it x).

A = Double Integral((R^2)*sin(phi)*dphi*dtheta, 0<theta<2pi, 0<phi<x)

=

2pi(R^2)[1-cos(x)]

But, this equals 72 percent of the total surface area, so (0.72)4pi(R^2)

Which, solving for [1-cos(x)], gives us [1-cos(x)] = 1.44

We didn't explicitly solve for x because it is more efficient to leave it this way, as you will see later.

Now we know what the ranges are for theta and phi, but we still need to find the radius. So now, we have to solve for the volume.

The volume element in spherical coordinates is dV = (r^2)*sin(phi)*dphi*dtheta*dr. So we integrate over the ranges of the variables. (0<theta<2pi, 0<phi<x, 0<r<R)(note: x is known, but R is unknown)

V = Triple Integral((r^2)*sin(phi)*dphi*dtheta, 0<theta<2pi, 0<phi<x, 0<r<R) = (2/3)pi[1-cos(x)](R^3) = (2.88/3)pi(R^3) = 280000 cm^3

Which, after solving for R and plugging into the equation for the total volume, gives you the final answer:

V = (4/3)pi(R^3) = 388 888.889 = 388889 cm^3

Nice piece of work, but it calculates the wrong volume. Generalize your solution by using a variable percentage instead of 72%. You'll find that you always come to the conclusion that the submerged volume is the same percentage of the total volume as the submerged surface area is of the total surface area.

You've calculated the volume of a solid with this cross section:
Code: . .
. \ / .
. \ / .
. \/ .
. .
. .
. .
. .

instead of this cross section:
Code: ..............
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .

Excuse the crude graphics.
0 Replies

stapel

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 07:35 am
Twopack Shaker wrote:
Basically, this is a classic physics problem.

Actually, this puzzle has nothing to do with motion or change; this question of volume and surface area of a static shape is a geometry problem.

Twopack Shaker wrote:
...to make this problem easy, we use spherical coordinates....

Actually, when one studies this topic, one learns that spherical coordinates, while often quite useful, are stunningly bad for flat surfaces. In this case, that means that they are contraindicated due to the plane (being the water surface) which splits the sphere into its submerged and unsubmerged portions, thus creating flat surfaces.

Note: Your "advanced" method apears to reduce to the same false equivalence between volume and surface area, which may be why it arrived at the same wrong answer.

Eliz.
0 Replies

Twopack Shaker

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 11:25 pm
markr, thanks for pointing out my mistake. stapel, sorry to accuse you of spreading the wrong answer. although this puzzle had nothing to do with motion or change, this is intrinsically a physics problem. geometry is only a tool utilized for solving such a problem.
0 Replies

stapel

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 07:09 am
Twopack Shaker wrote:
although this puzzle had nothing to do with motion or change, this is intrinsically a physics problem....

Huh. What a strange thing to say, when information about what physics actually is is so easily available. It's like claiming that solving linear equations or factoring quadratics is "intrinsically ... physics", because physics uses algebra from time to time.

How very odd.

Eliz.
0 Replies

fafdsfr

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 10:11 pm
Wow, you guys put WAYYYY too much effort into that problem.
72% is in the water, so....
280,000/.72=388,889
0 Replies

stapel

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 08:49 am
fafdsfr wrote:
Wow, you guys put WAYYYY too much effort into that problem. 72% is in the water, so.... 280,000/.72=388,889

Perhaps you're right. But we also arrived at the correct value. Rolling Eyes

Eliz.
0 Replies

fafdsfr

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 07:05 pm
Well, I rounded already, it was, on the calculator
388,888.88888888888888 and so on
0 Replies

Jen Aside

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 07:36 pm
Yet another reminder: Contest is continuing, don't stay up too late waiting [though, they've posted the new news now, so you'd be done waiting anyway].
0 Replies