NeoPets Riddles (Lenny Conundrums) and Answers Here

RKfan

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 10:44 pm
All your opinions make sense and is the same thought process I went through, but remember that 50% is not a whole number (.50) and neither is 1% (.01). So the number of people who actually get it right really isn't the question. It is whether you can realize that the only option is 100%, the only whole number!

Well I could be wrong, I guess we will see next week.
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 10:52 pm
"What percentage of people will get this question right?"

You could put anything from 1 to 100. I think they mentioned the whole number bit just because they dont want answers like 53.64% or such.
0 Replies

RKfan

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 11:03 pm
Good point, Instigate. I guess there are two ways to interpret it that equally make sense.
0 Replies

4ni74

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:15 am
Can't it be 0? Let's say 0,4% will get it right, so when you round it to the nearest whole number, you will get 0. And if 4 out of 1000 get it right, which I think is reasonable for this lenny conundrum, you will be at 0,4%. I may be completely wrong, but I just was thinking of it and I was wondering what you would find of this idea, especially because it is assumed you can only enter a number between 1 and 100. Or is 0 not a real number?
0 Replies

Mark from Neopia

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 01:19 pm
Lenny...
OK, just to add some maths to this answer. A couple of Lenny's ago the question was, "How many people entered last week's Lenny". The answer was 15,400. The week that 15,400 entered, only 2,200 got it right. If my maths is right, that gives 14.28% got it right that week.

I know that this info is pointless, as there is no 'answer' to this weeks Lenny - the answer is 'self fulfilling' for want of a better term, but it gives you something to think about. Rolling Eyes

Any more thoughts?

M
0 Replies

Isfan

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 02:31 pm
Re: Lenny...
Mark from Neopia wrote:
OK, just to add some maths to this answer. A couple of Lenny's ago the question was, "How many people entered last week's Lenny". The answer was 15,400. The week that 15,400 entered, only 2,200 got it right. If my maths is right, that gives 14.28% got it right that week.

I know that this info is pointless, as there is no 'answer' to this weeks Lenny - the answer is 'self fulfilling' for want of a better term, but it gives you something to think about. Rolling Eyes

Any more thoughts?

M

Lots of good points. I do not know if Neopets intended the trick to be "Do not include percentage signs". If that is the case, then 0 would be the most appropiate answer since I'm sure that less than 50% would think to put down plain "100" without a percent sign.

But I believe Neopets did not have this in mind, and if they did then they are pure evil. Evil I say, EVIL!! My guess (well... more like my hope) is that they mean don't enter a percentage like "14.28%". That just broadens the range of numbers too greatly for any percent of users to get the same.

Right now though, I don't know if anyone can read Neopets' mind, as they seem to do many thing almost by random impluse. Razz Am I wrong?
0 Replies

Mark from Neopia

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 02:57 pm
mmmm
I've got serious brain ache on this one. Some more thoughts.....

Thought one

There are 101 answers (0,1,...99,100) and the total number of entrants will be 100%. So statistically, if we all picked a number at randon, 1% would pick 1, 1% would pick 2, 1% would pick 3 etc.

From this list, the only answer that could be right is 1 - as 1% of people chose it. But as quite a few people will read this, some will put 1 (in fact some peole have already chosen 1 if you read the above) thus increasing the percentage of 1 above it's statiscal 1%.

Thought Two

For this conundrum to have a valid answer, at least one of the numbers 0..100 must obey the following..

"That x% of entrants choose the answer x"

If they don't, then x cannot be the answer (ie if 2% of people choose 1 as the answer, than 1 cannot be right. 1 can only be right if 1% answer 1. 2 can only be right if 2% chose it etc)

mmm. I think my brain has just escaped out of my ear, in a desperate attept to stay sane!!!!

M
0 Replies

ultradarkturret

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:11 pm
This ones tricky... Oh well I just entered in 25 in because I felt like it.
0 Replies

AssKicker

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:29 pm
I'd say 0...
Indeed, it's the only answer which is not totally absurd. Because, in fact, all answers can be the correct ones... If 1% enter 1%, so they win... But imagine : 1% say 1%, 2% say 2%, 3% say 3% etc... they're all right ! Whereas only 1 answer is the good one. So this means that no body can be right, so the answer is 0...
0 Replies

profsnapefan

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:34 pm
Isfan wrote:
dolphy wrote:
Thanks for the help, i just got this neomail.

Congratulations! You have guessed correctly in the Lenny Conundrum game (Round 107). We have given you 606 NP.

Still waiting for that avatar....
Good luck with the next lenny question.

I was sure I was going to get it this time... but I too only got the cash reward.
I guess we'll all be sitting around on our hands to see if our local genius for the last Conundrum, the Prof, earned the avatar.

I got the avatar Smile - but brought quickly down to earth as I have no clue on this round Smile

Sorry you didn't make it Isfan, maybe the round after this one.....
0 Replies

oo oo oo

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 11:56 pm
It's gonna be either 1 or 0, take ur pick Laughing
0 Replies

n0k0mis

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 08:57 am
Percentages
For those looking at the "round to a whole number" requirement and thinking the correct answer is 0 or 1, the definition of percentage is:

Quote:
A fraction or ratio with 100 understood as the denominator; for example, 0.98 equals a percentage of 98.

The value one would enter to answer 50% would be 50, not .5 - 50 is the percentage part of the ratio "50 per 100" and .5 is the decimal version of that. The correct answers to this lenny will be a whole number in the range of 0 to 100.

See Ask Dr. Math for more about percentages, fractions, and decimals.

I decided to guess 19 - that 19% of the people will guess 19 is pretty optimistic. The correct answer will probably be less than 10.
0 Replies

Mark from Neopia

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:58 am
AssKicker wrote:
I'd say 0...
Indeed, it's the only answer which is not totally absurd. Because, in fact, all answers can be the correct ones... If 1% enter 1%, so they win... But imagine : 1% say 1%, 2% say 2%, 3% say 3% etc... they're all right ! Whereas only 1 answer is the good one. So this means that no body can be right, so the answer is 0...

The answer cannot be '0'. Because if 0% get it right, then 100% (ie every body who answered, even those who said '0') will be wrong.

M
0 Replies

satanonholiday

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 04:49 pm
first things first it is impossible for the answer to be 0 as if your guess is 0 then your saying no one can will including yourself.... and also there is no way in hell 100% of people are going to get it right so forget about them completely as not everyone is going to guess the same number!

however i do think it has to be a total guess because:

no matter what number is picked the most, the percentage of overall people who picked that number may different making that number void.... so unless for instance 43% of people who take part in this weeks quiz guesses 43 they cant win!
0 Replies

Mark from Neopia

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 05:33 am
As mentionen in my earlier answer - statistically the answer should be 1 (see previous post), but because a lot of people relaise this, more than 1% will answer 1. So I don't think the answer will be one.

I'm still not sure, but my guess will be between 2 and 10.

Any more thoughts on the subject - the posts seem to have dried up over the last 24 hours!!

Am I sat here talking to myself?? Very Happy

M
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 08:15 am
I wsa just thinking, if there is no actual answer then either everyone will be right, or everyone will be wrong and therefore it would be the right answer that everyone got it wrong or right!!
0 Replies

n0k0mis

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 12:54 pm
I agree with Mark - statisiticlally a true random sampling with values from 0 to 100 rounded to the nearest whole number, the correct answer would be 1. But two things skew the results: (1) humans will gravitate towards certain numbers (7, 13, etc.), probably approximating a bell curve, but with blips (depending on the culture); and (2) the conundrum itself, which will probably push most of the answers to values less than 10 or 15 and definitely higher than 1 or even 2. I'd be very interested in seeing the distribution of answers for both a general "pick a number between 0 and 100" test and this conundrum.

In an effort the skew the results even further: The correct answer is 19 Very Happy
0 Replies

Mark from Neopia

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 04:48 pm
n0k0mis wrote:
In an effort the skew the results even further: The correct answer is 19 Very Happy

Mmmm, sorry but I will have to disagree. The answers is definitely 9. Twisted Evil

(Using your point that people will gravitate to certain numbers, we know that people are already choosing 0, 1, 100, 50, 25, maybe 19, and maybe even 9. Plus a couple that have not published. This gives about 10 main choices. There are 100 possible, divided by 10, gives, 10. I've taken away the extra 1%, for all the people who just pick a number at random. So about 9% of people will pick 9 - or at least I hope they do once they have read my reasoning!!)

Good luck to you all.

M
0 Replies

julianwhimsy

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 04:45 pm
Yay!
I got it right!!!!!!
0 Replies

stapel

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:57 am
What value did you submit?

Eliz.