child support arrearage

bms2004

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 02:44 pm
Does anyone know what the law is in Colorado about waiving arrearage balance? My husbands ex waited until the child was 3 to file child support, and he was not given any credit for the monies that he was giving her, so he started with a huge amount of back pay. We paid it down substantially and asked if she would consider dropping the rest because she wants someone else to adopt his child. Also note that the child is 7 and has no clue who his dad is because Mom thinks he is too young to understand. She tells me that she can not drop the arrearage until my husband has relinquished his rights, and that does not sound right to me. We live in a different state, but several women have signed the arrearage away and maintained the current support order, which is all we are asking.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 530 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 03:46 pm
bms--

Perhaps someone here can come up with a web address for you.

If not, call the agency that is handling the support payments and ask them. Or call a lawyer.

I am not a lawyer, but my guess is if someone else adopts the child, he becomes the father-wh0-will provide. The courts don't look kindly on "one to love and one to pay".
0 Replies

bms2004

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 03:55 pm
My husband has always provided for him, and so have I. He did not ask to give his rights away, she did. He though it might be better for the child because he doesn't even know him, and we surely don't have the money to get a lawyer. It feels like he is good enough to support his son, but not good enough to be a part of his life.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 04:15 pm
Talk to the agency that handles the support payments. You and your husband need to learn your rights.

Generally visitation and support are two different issues, but after seven years of supporting a child whom he does not get to know....
0 Replies

bms2004

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 04:30 pm
Yea. It really doesn't seem fair. What makes me angry is that the deadbeat dads have made things this way. Typically when I ask questions like the one above, the response is " Oh another dad trying to shirk his duty" That isn't the case here though. I think the mother is playing the system to her advantage.
0 Replies